TomTom XL S - No sound

Hi, I've lost the audio function for my TomTom XL-S unit completely for quite sometime now, and I havn't been able to find a fix for this problem. After searching through this forum , it seems that many users suggest that it's a firmware problem and I have to downgrade it back to 7.14 from 7.16. I did exactly that and still can't get the sound/voice to work, the unit used to work perfectly for a few month, I think I updated a long time ago by mistake, and downloaded some other 3rd party voice packs. Well now the GPS works fine, just without the voice.

Can someone help me?

I've tried the following already :

- Downgrading the firmware back to 7.14

- Disable Text to speech and Re-Enable it again

- Try a few other voice files, none of them are working (Jane UK, Susan US, Jate UK etc..)

- Tried copy everything on a 2gb SD card and boot from the SD card, GPS works but still no luck with audio.

- Deleted everything off the SD card and TomTom's built in storage device, still no luck after restoring it back to factory mode.

- Reset the GPS Device

What map version to you have? Do you have a folder in your unit (use Explorer to look) called Loquendo or Vocalizer? (I forget what folder there is for your model). Are there files in that folder?

What map version to you have? Do you have a folder in your unit (use Explorer to look) called Loquendo or Vocalizer? (I forget what folder there is for your model). Are there files in that folder?

I have the US and Candian map that came with the unit, and there are files under the LoquendoTTS folder, it
s about 50mb in size.

Last edited:
Is there no other way of fixing this but to call them? Customer service usually just aggravates me more than the problem itself. I bought this unit at Frys, is it possible to take it back to Frys and ask for a new one? Even though I lost the receipt, but I think the unit is still under warranty since it's less than a year old.

Each application has its own version of voices and you can't read prior version voices. Also, I believe the XLS is supposed to use Vocalizer voices, which is why it can't see/process loquendo ones.

I'd recommend the following steps:
1) backup your entire unit using windows explorer
2) go to home and remove your application and remove all voices
3) delete the files in the root your your tomtom (but not any folders) with windows explorer
4) delete the loquendo and vocalizer folders, if present with windows explorer
5) download/install the latest application from home
6) unplug and start up the tomtom
7) plug back into home and again download the latest application (if any)
8) download voices from home
9) unplug and start up the tomtom, test out the computer voices
10) if they don't work, pin reset the device and test out the voices again

You'll lose all your favorites/settings during this process, but it should work. If anything breaks, just copy all your existing files back using windows explorer, and then call tomtom support.

Each application has its own version of voices and you can't read prior version voices. Also, I believe the XLS is supposed to use Vocalizer voices, which is why it can't see/process loquendo ones.

I'd recommend the following steps:
1) backup your entire unit using windows explorer
2) go to home and remove your application and remove all voices
3) delete the files in the root your your tomtom (but not any folders) with windows explorer
4) delete the loquendo and vocalizer folders, if present with windows explorer
5) download/install the latest application from home
6) unplug and start up the tomtom
7) plug back into home and again download the latest application (if any)
8) download voices from home
9) unplug and start up the tomtom, test out the computer voices
10) if they don't work, pin reset the device and test out the voices again

You'll lose all your favorites/settings during this process, but it should work. If anything breaks, just copy all your existing files back using windows explorer, and then call tomtom support.

There is no vocalizer folder. Only folder that contains sound/voice is "LoquendoTTS"

i did all of these step but doestt help and than i disconnect the battery cable and put it back and thats PERFECT now i got the sound. what you need is get a tiny knife or screwdriver and slide it around the speaker so you can take the speaker out after you will see the a cable take the pin out wait for 10 sec and put it back on and close the speker than turn your device on it will work fine.

i did all of these step but doestt help and than i disconnect the battery cable and put it back and thats PERFECT now i got the sound. what you need is get a tiny knife or screwdriver and slide it around the speaker so you can take the speaker out after you will see the a cable take the pin out wait for 10 sec and put it back on and close the speker than turn your device on it will work fine.

THIS WORKED FOR ME, THANK YOU. :):thumb:

Ask a Question