TomTom XL Rebooting

I plugged in my XL 340S to my laptop and HOME said there was an App update for my unit. It said something about REV S. So I installed it and now the unit will power up with the start screen then go to the legal notice then reboot. It does this repeatedly. I can communicate with it using the computer but it will go through the reboot sequence when it is disconnected from the computer. Any ideas? Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
If you have a backup of your unit's contents, copy the mapsettings.cfg file from the map in the backup to the map folder on the unit.

Or........

Connect your unit to Home. Start the emulator (Operate my Unit). Manage Favourites. Make a change by adding one, deleting or editing one. Remove the unit properly from Home using the Device disconnect icon on the lower right.

See if that helps.

That's too bad. My system was acting similarly, and I was about to perform the procedure that DHN described above. When I connected my XL 340S to Home, it also informed me of a new app. When I downloaded and installed that app, it actually **fixed** the problem for me, rather than creating the problem. So I never even had to perform DHN's procedure.

XL IQ routes stuck in reboot loop

My Tomtom XL keeps rebooting after around one minute of showing the map (and does not get any gps signal). This started after I changed computers for updating etc. with Tomtom home and had an error on the first try, but ejected the GPS through tomtom home. I hav a western european and Thailand map on it (am in Thailand now, and desperate). What I have tried so far: - Soft reset. - Update via Tomtom home, operate the device through Tomtom home. - Changed my favourites through Tomtom home. - Scan with Windows 7 and automatically fix file system errors + scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. So far no luck.

I have backed up my GPS, but that backup is on another computer back home (or is it stored onlie via my Tomtom home account?).

HELP!

If you have access to Home on a computer, you may try to deletete everything in the ephem folder on your unit and then delete everything in the ephemeris folder found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete
(path may vary on a W7 computer).

Then connect to Home for a new gpsquickfix file. See if you connet to a gps quicker.

Also, is your unit fully charged?

Thanks for quick answer. I tried the steps you suggested, but no change. My GPS is fully charged. I would be grateful for any other suggestions. No answer from Tomtom support yet.

You could try this..........

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents
2. Format the unit, don't use quickformat
3. Restore the backup using Explorer.

Thanks again. Yes maps are legit. Is there a guide for making an explorerbackup? Will I not backup the cause of my problem aswell?

Problem solved! Thanks a lot for your help. Toghether with Tomtom support it helped me find a solution. The formatting seemed to be enough. Thanks again!

Ask a Question