TomTom One XL Rebooting

Hi All:

Anyone come across this problem?:

I bought a TT1 XL for my wife for Xmas, I already own one, and know how to use it, works fine except for screwy directions now and then. She goes out in the field to visit clients, and likes to put in the addresses the night before so she can navigate to them when she is out and about. The unit powers up fine, and you can change options etc. But when she starts entering the addresses of her stops is where the problem arises. You can put in one or two usually, but after that, when it is planning the route after an address is entered, the progress bar freezes at about 80% or so, and the screen blacks out, reboots, and the last address is not saved. At that point, you can't enter any addresses, it does the same reboot thing. This is the second one with the same issue, I returned the first one (to Radio Shack), got another, and it has the same problem. Any other reports of this? Bad production run? I am going to bring it back again today, but wonder if there is an issue with this batch, and I'll get another bum one.

Any thoughts appreciated

Scott

Hi All:

Anyone come across this problem?:

I bought a TT1 XL for my wife for Xmas, I already own one, and know how to use it, works fine except for screwy directions now and then. She goes out in the field to visit clients, and likes to put in the addresses the night before so she can navigate to them when she is out and about. The unit powers up fine, and you can change options etc. But when she starts entering the addresses of her stops is where the problem arises. You can put in one or two usually, but after that, when it is planning the route after an address is entered, the progress bar freezes at about 80% or so, and the screen blacks out, reboots, and the last address is not saved. At that point, you can't enter any addresses, it does the same reboot thing. This is the second one with the same issue, I returned the first one (to Radio Shack), got another, and it has the same problem. Any other reports of this? Bad production run? I am going to bring it back again today, but wonder if there is an issue with this batch, and I'll get another bum one.

Any thoughts appreciated

Scott

I have never heard of this before, but there are a few things I can ask if you've tried:
1) Do you have the latest map and TomTom Navigator firmware from TomTom? (Use TomTom HOME to download this on the PC)
2) Have you tried a RESET of the unit:
a) Press and HOLD the power button
b) While holding the power button, press the RESET button
c) While still holding the power button, release the RESET button
d) While still holding the power button, the unit should reboot
e) Release the power button while rebooting

Haven't tried the reset, just performed it, but wonder if that should clear out the stuff thats already in the unit. My home location and other settings are retained after the reset.

Have not tried updating via TT Home, guess I can give it a try, weird that it happened on two different units.

Thanks!!

Scott

Haven't tried the reset, just performed it, but wonder if that should clear out the stuff thats already in the unit. My home location and other settings are retained after the reset.

Have not tried updating via TT Home, guess I can give it a try, weird that it happened on two different units.

Thanks!!

Scott

No need to really clear out anything else that is in the unit. I suspect it is either a firmware update (They call it a TomTom Application with the HOME software) or simply a hardware glitch that needed the RESET (and, yes, the RESET won't disturb any of your settings)

If TT released the hardware with a firmware glitch, it doesn't surprise me that two units exhibited the same behavior. Many people (including myself) had even worse problems with the TomTom LE not synching to satellites....the firmware update from TomTom totally resolved all my issues.

Last edited:
Still doing it after the reset. It gets almost to the end of the planning, freezes, then reboots to the legal notice screen.

Will try the online update and see if that does it.

Scott

Looks like the update may have done the trick. I have entered a few addresses, and it hasn't rebooted yet, so maybe we are OK!

One thing I have noticed, when you start to navigate to a street and house number, on the city entry screen, there is a green button with FL (florida) there, which my unit doesn't have. Seems to work the same though. This unit is version 7.162/Map 710.1575. My unit is out on the road, so not sure what version is in there, but I keep it updated, so I would assume the same, but maybe not.

Thanks for the help birdman!

Scott

Looks like the update may have done the trick. I have entered a few addresses, and it hasn't rebooted yet, so maybe we are OK!

One thing I have noticed, when you start to navigate to a street and house number, on the city entry screen, there is a green button with FL (florida) there, which my unit doesn't have. Seems to work the same though. This unit is version 7.162/Map 710.1575. My unit is out on the road, so not sure what version is in there, but I keep it updated, so I would assume the same, but maybe not.

Thanks for the help birdman!

Scott

Glad that fixed your issues with your wife's unit. As for the green button, it is a handy way to quickly switch to a different state when navigating. I would suspect your unit needs an update as well.

Hope all is smooth sailing from here on out....

I update mine via the TT Home site every couple of days or so. Just usually gets the GPS fix and maybe a small map change. Is there something else I need to do to get an update?

Scott

I update mine via the TT Home site every couple of days or so. Just usually gets the GPS fix and maybe a small map change. Is there something else I need to do to get an update?

Scott

You could try going up to the FILE menu in TT HOME and select "Use Latest Map Guarantee" and see if there is an update for the map....

Theoretically, there is supposed to be a time limit as to how long you'll be allowed to download a new map, but no one can clarify whether it is one month or one year....plus, I wonder how TomTom even knows when/how to start this counter....

You could try going up to the FILE menu in TT HOME and select "Use Latest Map Guarantee" and see if there is an update for the map....

Theoretically, there is supposed to be a time limit as to how long you'll be allowed to download a new map, but no one can clarify whether it is one month or one year....plus, I wonder how TomTom even knows when/how to start this counter....

apparently, supposed to be 1 month from the time you first use TTHome to log into your account at tomtom.com

I'll give that a try, I'm pretty sure I selected that, but I'll take another look later tonite.

Thanks again!

Ask a Question