TomTom XL possible corruption

Hey.

I bought TomTom XL IQ routes edition last week, with western- and middle-europe map on it. Yesterday my father (whose navigator it is, i haven't really used it) said that it needs to update the map, so i plugged the device on my computer, installed tomtom home 2.7, and it immediately started updating, so i accepted. It downloaded the file very long time, even tho it said 32 min. After that, it started "copying" the 1.8 gb file to the device, which took really long, at about 60% it stopped and didn't seem to move any further. So, i left it running. Slowly it made its way towards the end. But, i accidentally rolled my chair so that it unplugged the usb-cable, and tomtom rebooted. when it loaded, it said "select map" without anything to choose. So i re-ran the install, and it literally took 3 hours to complete (bit long for 1.8gb to install imo, maybe SD card corrupted when sold?). But now i got the map, when i loaded it up it showed somekind of line like its installing the stuff, and loaded grayed map with "looking for gps signal." if i tried to press the screen, no menu popped up. And now it was on a bootloop, after 10 seconds it would reboot over and over again. Im wondering can i format the tomtom and install everything again? Or is there something that can't be installed with the home program?

Thanks if you guys can help.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents.

Next, your updated map should be in compressed format on the computer in this location:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

Ensure that you see it there.

Next, format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Once done, connect the unit to Home and a new application should be offered. Accept and install. Disconnect the unit properly from Home (using the Device Disconnect icon on the bottom right of Home's screen). Shut down Home completely (making sure it's not sitting in the notification area as an icon) Restart the unit. Connect to Home and see if you are offered another application update. If not, then move to Add Maps.

You should see reference to the updated map and the location is 'computer'. Select to install it.

Working now?

(If so, you may now want to add the voices through the add voices icon).

i have C:\Users\myname\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\western-and-centar-Europe_2_Gt folder and there activation.zip and western_and_central_europe2gb.zip. Do you mean those?

I'll try that format u suggested.

The downloaded <map name>.cab file should have within it: <map name>.zip and a <activation>.cab file

So it seems you do have the complete package on the computer for later re-installation.

I'm not sure if i follow,this is the contens of the folder:
1273513690.jpg

Oh btw: when backing up, is it allways so slow? The speed is 560 kt/s, when i remember normal files transfer at 5.5mb/s rate. Is that a sign of corrupted memory? I once had corrupted mp3 player, it froze my computer totally, but after i installed vista and used its fix tool to fix the memory, it worked fast and well again. But this time it didnt help tho.

That's what you want, ok. When it comes time to installing that map, Home should know how to handle the various files. I say 'should' because sometimes it screws up and does NOT install the vital .meta.dct file that resides in the activation.zip folder. The map is not recognized then.

But if that happens to you, we can resolve that problem.

Not sure but think that model may only be usb 1.1 compliant, not 2.0. That would explain the slow speed transfer.

Oh no. I tried the format, with settings file system: FAT, allocation unit size 32-bits , Quick format and Create an ms-dos startup disk unticked. It fails at somepoint saying windows was unable to format. After that the device shows with name FAT and im unable to access it.

What now? :S

edit: I tested with the quick format, and it immediately formats it and im able to access it. Are you sure this is wrong? Is normal format a must?

Last edited:
Usual proper format is fat32. If you are on a Mac (guess you are) then option might just be dos format.

Normally, quickformat isn't enough to ensure a proper formatting but if you can't format as fat32 and quickformat is your only option, guess you'll have to try that.

I am on Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. I used FAT as that was default option it recommended. But no, FAT, FAT32, both unable to format, but on quick format its possible. So i will install tomtom on this quick formatted FAT32 now.

Im really getting angry at this.

I formatted, installed software, update failed, formatted, update installed, map install failed, says not enough space, formatted again and now installing software again. ARGH! This can't be my fault anymore.

I don't think it was ever your fault.........

Look at the contents of the compressed map folder on your computer. Are there a bunch of cspeechxxx.dat files? (where xx = the abbreviation for a European country?). If so, try removing them from the compressed map folder. They are used for models with Voice Recognition and if your model doesn't have that feature (i.e, no microphone), you don't need the files.......... that should free up space. Even if you DO have VR on your model, you can remove the files for countries you won't ever need that functionality for.

If you do not have those cspeechxx.dat files, another option is to remove the LoquendoTTS folder from the unit (move it to the desktop or somewhere on the computer). Then try installing the map and finally use Home to add voices (computer or otherwise)

I got the software and maps installed now, formatted the device with FAT and i was able to format in normal mode. Then installed software updates and called tomtom support, for instructions to install the map. The guy told me to disable my Avast! antivirus and rename tomtom's download folder. I did it, and started downloading and then installing. Took as long as before, but it worked! Installed all updates and voices, but i still have problem with gps signal, becouse there is none. Though i haven't been driving around city to see if there is some around, but on my yard i can't recieve any gps signal.

Thanks for your support dhn.

The XL IQroutes models (original, not XLIQroutes2) have very unstable internal memory with app 8.411 through 8.414.

You should never update a map without first updating to app 8.415 or later first. (Tomtom knows about this, and can block map installs in HOME on 8.414 or earlier. But for some reason they don't).

My guess is that this was the reason for your problems and eventual fix.

Regarding getting a GPS signal, there should be a quickgpsfile that home downloaded to your Tomtom. quickgpsfix makes your GPS connection faster in the first 7 days after it is installed, then slower in day 8 or later. So if you plan to connect to your computer once a week or more, just keep making sure you re-update quickgpsfix. If you don't plan to connect to your computer often, remove quickgpsfix under "Manage my XL".

When update your application (which I assume is what happened to fix your map issue), the initial GPS connection takes a very long time. Just leave the device outdoors with a clear view of the sky to speed up the initial connection. Once the GPS connects, future reconnects are much faster.

Ask a Question