TomTom ONEXL (US) - Use in Europe possible?

Hi

I have a TomTom One XL which I have bought in the US about a year ago.

I?ll have a trip to Europe soon (Austria and Germany) and am wondering whether and how I can use it there?

Well, the unit will work there but, of course, you need to get appropriate European maps. Not sure the size of storage on your model (2 gb?) but you'd have to off load your USA_Can map to the computer to make room for the European zone that will work for you. Your model cannot handle the full European map coverage.

European maps are purchased using Home.

Won't the maps work from the card? Put a 4gig card in and keep the Canada/US maps loaded. more for east, rather than anything else.

Won't the maps work from the card? Put a 4gig card in and keep the Canada/US maps loaded. more for east, rather than anything else.
If you are running current firmware, your unit will accept an SDHC card. If not, you could be stuck at 2GB and this isn't going to work. Make sure you've got 8.014 running.

You'll need an 8GB card to handle the current (850) Western European map set along with North America -- as I recall, your unit must operate either on internal or SD, but unlike the GO series, it will NOT operate from both at once -- so ALL of your files will need to reside on the SD card, not just the map folders. 4GB won't cut the mustard. Once installed, your unit should boot from the SD card and ignore what it finds internally.

Last edited:
nice

thanks for the very insightful responses.

I?d like to delete the US firmware anyway.

What if we see that from the perspective that only the EU maps will be loaded?

Will that fit the internal memory, or will I need an SD card? (i dont have an sd card at the moment, but could get one)

either way - whether i put it on SD or on internal - how and where can I get these maps, and what do they cost?

thank you!

Log into Home and purchase the maps via Add Voices/Maps icon. It'll take you through the steps needed and show the prices once you make the selection.

thanks for the very insightful responses.

I?d like to delete the US firmware anyway.
If you choose an 8GB, you can keep it all together. If you select a 4GB, you'll have to move your North America map folder off to your computer's hard drive until you need it again.

What if we see that from the perspective that only the EU maps will be loaded?
If I recall correctly, your internal memory is only 1GB, and you're not going to get a whole lot of Europe loaded. Given the recent increase in size of the European map (as of version 850), I suspect you're going to be having to swap chunks of Europe onto your unit as you need them. TomTom has started to segment the European map into zones/regions. I will be interested to see what map is offered to you when you do as DHN suggests and fire up Home to try to purchase one.

Will that fit the internal memory, or will I need an SD card? (i dont have an sd card at the moment, but could get one)
See above. The entire "One" series is a bit skinny on internal memory - except for the One 125/135 sold in Europe with 2GB just for these reasons. The full Western Europe map, if it is offered to you, is going to come in at more than 2GB, and you'll need all of your operating software on the card as well, so a 4GB card would be required for that map without your North American map resident.

The current ONE XL firmware is 8.010 and that firmware does NOT support SDHC.

Therefore you can only use the 2GB standard SD cards, or the really hard-to-find 4GB SD cards that are not SDHC.

The current ONE XL firmware is 8.010 and that firmware does NOT support SDHC.

Therefore you can only use the 2GB standard SD cards, or the really hard-to-find 4GB SD cards that are not SDHC.
Ah, right ... 8.300 was the beginning of SDHC. As for 8.010 - there was an 8.014 release that followed that, but I can't recall what it accomplished.

Has anyone tried the 8.300 bootloader and immediate reversion to 8.010(8.014) code to see if that enables SDHC on one of these units? Probably a 50/50 chance of bricking the unit unless we've got a live example somewhere.

Hi

I have a TomTom One XL which I have bought in the US about a year ago.

I?ll have a trip to Europe soon (Austria and Germany) and am wondering whether and how I can use it there?

Or you could do what I recently did... for less than the cost of maps alone I bought a Go 920 on eBay with North American and European maps for 80 bucks....

install

i had bought the europe map. but i don?t know how to get it on the devide.

1) when i put the map on an SD card and try to boot the device with the card, it freezes with the "please wait" screen. i have to wait then until the battery empties. it does totally freeze

2) with the tomtom home software, it seems as if i can only download and install. can i also install what i already have? i dont want to buy it again

i had bought the europe map. but i don?t know how to get it on the devide.

1) when i put the map on an SD card and try to boot the device with the card, it freezes with the "please wait" screen. i have to wait then until the battery empties. it does totally freeze

2) with the tomtom home software, it seems as if i can only download and install. can i also install what i already have? i dont want to buy it again

What model tomtom do you have?

TomTom ONE XL

tomtom one xl

to rephrase, basically how do i

1) correclty put a map on an SD card and then boot from it without freezing. if it freezes, how do i unfreeze?

2) if the SD card thing doesnt work: how do i load a card from my computer on the internal flash?

Last edited:
If your card has a sd slot then EVERYTHING needs to go on the card, meaning the map and the application.

So, use Explorer to copy the map to the sd card and the application should go on there as well. If you had stored everything on internal, then use Explorer to copy the loose files from internal onto the sd card.

So, the application and map should be on the card. Insert in the unit and boot up then.

which application

thank you

but which application do you mean? there are all sorts of files (.dat, .met, .ttd etc)
but which kind of application? what is the name of the application, and in which kind of form do i install it? (just copy/past an .exe file?

The application is the fiirmware that is the operating system for your unit. It consists of all the loose files in the root of the unit.

Yes, just copy and paste from internal to the card.

Installed

in the meantime, i?ve done that.

I simply removed the US-Canada folder, and copied an 855 version of the DE AT CH folder.

On the TOMTOM software on my pc, I "activated" the map, but it said: this item is not for this device.

What can I do?

Any recent maps no longer need to be activated.

Put the new maps on the Tomtom drive (or on an SD card in the Tomtom). Then connect to the computer then turn on the Tomtom. When Tomtom HOME opens up, do manage my XL and remove the application (if present). Then do "Update my XL" to install a new application. Keep repeating until you get app 8.010, and then your Tomtom should be able to see the map.

Ask a Question