TomTom won't connect to PC

I have a GO920 and have just updated it to the latest software version. I am running Windows Vista on one laptop and Windows 7 on another. Initially a message came up saying it was the wrong version for the TomTom and then it worked without a problem for one journey. Now It will not connect to either. I have tried running as Administrator and various compatibility modes but to no effect.

Sometimes the TomTom icon comes up when the device is connected to the PC and then it shows a green backgroun with a briefcase. At other times it shows nothing. The battery is fully charged.

Please can anyone help?

I'm not clear about what is working and what is not.

"..then it worked without a problem for one journey." What worked? The device itself? Or TomTom Home on your PC? Are you saying that you could use Home for planning a trip once, and no longer, or that something is wrong with your device now?

Let's sort the details, and then we can give you a hand.

I'm also confused about the connection issue. Are you saying that the PCs do not recognize the 920 as an external storage device, or that TomTom Home doesn't recognize the device by automatically launching?

Try doing a pin reset on the bottom of the unit and then try connecting again to the computer. See if both Windows and Home 2 'see' the unit.

Device Won't Connect to PC

Thanks for your responses.

After connecting my device to the PC and updating the software the device worked for one journey but now the device won't work. When I put the device on the stand and connect it to the PC and hold the power button on for about 10 seconds I get a grey background light. After several minutes the words TOMTOM and the hands icon appear. After another couple of minutes it shows an image of the TomTom device on the screen and the model number. However, the TomTom Home software does not launch automatically and if I open the software manually it says device not connected.

I have tried a pin reset but to no avail.

OK... so it's the unit that is behaving badly. The PC is just along for the ride and no happier about the situation than you are.

I'd be curious to know if the device will boot normally with the SD card removed, if one is installed.

The SD card slot just holds a blank.
Have you formatted that empty SD card in your GPS?

I have no idea if that would have any effect, and I would guess that it should not, but it is certainly a variable that I would remove from the trouble-shooting process.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I can't find a backup of the unit's contents but do you have any idea of what the file name would be or the file extension?

There was a message to backup the contents when I updated the Home software but it wouldn't let me do it so assume there was already a problem then. However, there may be an old backup if only I knew what I was looking for.

Tom, sorry when I said a blank SD card I meant a blank piece of plastic. It isn't a card.

Thanks again and hope you may still be able to help.

Have you gone through IN ORDER, all the steps in these two articles?

Tomtom Acting Up? -Part 1 - First Steps In System Recovery

Tomtom Acting Up? - Part 2 - How To reinstall *fresh* Software using Home

But it sounds to me like the internal memory may be failing (not uncommon on the Go x20 and x30 models now.
The good news is that if you get an SD card (4GB SDHC) then everything can be reinstalled onto that and you can be up and running again. The bad news is that if you cannot find a backup of the unit, you'll have to buy a new map.

If you might have made a backup through TomTom Home then it will be stored as a whole bunch of files in

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup

Windows 7/VISTA: C:\Users\username\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup.

Andy

It looked as though I would have to run on an SD card. I have a (SanDisk) SDHC 8GB card which, according to info on the internet it should run on. I have uninstalled my old TomTom software and completed a reinstall. I have run a full format on the card, however, when I put it in the device and try to connect to the laptop (or turn the device on as standalone) there is now no response at all.

At one point it turned on and showed a green screen with the device on it and then the TomTom hands with a red cross flashing over it. Twice it went on to show set language, asked me to choose a few options and then 'no map found' (which I expected) but now it seems to be absolutely dead.

Am I correct in thinking that the SD card should work and could the device now be defunct?

WinZip doesn't dump things into one folder either, unless that's how you tell it to unpack things.

Thank you everyone for all your help. It's very much appreciated.

The TomTom is now working on the SD card. The only problem I am having is that on the first attempt with the SD card in the laptop slot I was able to use the 'Operate My GO' option but since then it hasn't responded to this option.

Excellent news. Well done.

As for the "Operate my Go" not working, I'd say that's a small price to pay! I must admit I never use it, , but I guess it would be nice to have it working if you do.

Does it work if you are running the TomTom off the SD card and then connect to the PC?
Can you even see the SD card as a new drive on the PC in that situation, or can you ONLY see it if you take it out and put it in a card reader?

Hi. When I turn on the TomTom and then connect it to the laptop initially the screen goes blank. After a couple of minutes it connects but does not automatically initialise the software. It shows as an H: and an F: drive under My Compute, with the F: drive showing the files when opened up. However, if I open it manually open up the Home software it then allows me to use the option of 'Operate My Go'.

Following what I have said above, when I try to restart the TomTom after turning off the unit and disconnecting from the laptop, I have to take the SD card out again, turn the TomTom on, wait a minute or so for it to startup and then put the SD card in again.

Also every time I turn the device on it comes up with the Legal Notice and I have to select 'I agree' to continue. This is obviously no great inconvenience but it never used to do this.

Last edited:

Ask a Question