TomTom XL won't connect to TomTom Home

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL
Hi, I am having various issues with my TomTom XL. I formatted it as per one of the posts but now Tom Tom Home software won't recognise the unit. The drive does shows on my computers and I can create and delete stuff on it through that. I am using TomTom Home ver 1.5 as I need to update all the maps etc and then go to Tom Tom Home ver 2.
On TomTom Home, I get the following message. Please remove your tomtom device from home dock or disconnect it from USB cable. Allow your TomTom device to start normally and reconnect the USB cable.

I have done the above but when I take cable off and reboot, I get a big red cross on the Tom Tom Screen. It goes away when i plug the usb but the tomtom home does not recognise the device.

BootLoader Ver : S5.5019 clist#198759 RVCT. I can post any other detals need from the boot screen. Please help as this is driving me mad....

Try resetting the unit by holding the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds (unless your model has a dedicated reset hole)

Also, what is the application version on your unit (tap the satellite bars on your screen and the next screen shows the app version number) What is the version of the map you have installed?

problems connecting to my win 7 computer

I am having problems connecting my One XL to my Windows 7 64 bit computer. I have misplaced the original disk and connecting cable but have loaded the latest TT Home and have connected with a like cable from a camera. The TT doesn't even show up as a device and I haven't been able to get it recognized at all. Is there anything special about the cable that makes it specific to the TT?

I've tried running Home in compatability mode but there is no difference. The software runs but I think the problem is with the computer recognizing the device.

I just tried the reset button as this reply suggests and now my TT seems to be frozen on the first screen. It has been working fine until now except that maps are outdated.

Somebody, please help. I have spent too many hours with this over the last two days.

Thanks,

If it's not showing up as an external storage device, then there's no chance Home will be seeing it, either. Your XL should be showing up as an external drive.

Let's try this. Copy and unpack this zip file into the folder of your choice. Run the executable with your unit plugged in but not turned on. Then turn on the unit and see if its status appears anywhere in the application's list. We'll take it from there.

Attachments

• usbdeview.zip
    69.6 KB · Views: 739
If it's not showing up as an external storage device, then there's no chance Home will be seeing it, either. Your XL should be showing up as an external drive.

Let's try this. Copy and unpack this zip file into the folder of your choice. Run the executable with your unit plugged in but not turned on. Then turn on the unit and see if its status appears anywhere in the application's list. We'll take it from there.

i am in the same situation. fresh 32 bit win 7 load. windows sees and adds the xl as an external device. should i also try this .zip suggestion? i also just installed the lastest tom tom home so its as current as the website is.

Last edited:
Hi David, you're not actually in the same situation.... as your device *is* being recognised by the PC.
The zip file above is just a diagnostics tool for sorting out USB connection problems and it doesn't look like you've got one if the PC can see the device OK.

I reckon your problem is more the Win 7 and Home. Can you try running Home in XP compatibility mode?

Ask a Question