TomTom Wireless Data finally works with BlackBerry 8100!

Good to hear you got it working. I've been finding other little annoyances and bugs with the new version of the OS, so I'm hoping that another carrier releases another 4.2.1 package higher than .102 so we can get rid of some of the silly bugs :)

at least the cingular settings work for someone, even if its not a cingular customer. granted, now im trying all the other carriers :) [BB Pearl 4.2.1.94 on Cingular + tomtom go 910 6.525]

whered you find the 102 version?

Argh... I'm running the latest 4.2.1.96 os for my cingular pearl, and NADA. nothing works - manual or selecting ATT/Cingular profiles. Anyone else have it working with this OS, or I am going to have to load another version? Note, the version that started this thread is no longer the most current, but if it's the only one that will work, I guess I can back-rev.

thanks

BB 8100 and TomTom Go 510

I have tried everything and spent countless hours working on this. I can get my pearl working using bluetooth DUN (dial up networking) with my laptop but not with my TomTom.

I did learn that with Cingular you must have an extra option added to your account which cost extra. You must have the option on your account to use your device in tethered mode - cost $5 and you loose you unlimited text messaging, you have to add a text messaging plan in on top of that.

That said I have the go 510 and firmware 4.2.1.96 on my BB but still can get it working.

Here are the instructions from Cingular/AT&T, the only thing I can?t figure out is what to use for "Access Point Name" in the TomTom, have tried tons of different things nothing works

Setting up the handset

On the handset, press Menu.
Scroll to Options and click the trackball.
Scroll to Bluetooth and click the trackball.
Press the Menu button, scroll to Enable Bluetooth and click the trackball.
Press the Menu button, scroll to Options and click the trackball.
Scroll to Discoverable and click the trackball.
Scroll to Yes and click the trackball.

Setting up the modem

On the PC, click on Start, Settings and then Control Panel.
Double click on Bluetooth Devices.
On the Devices tab, click on Add.
An Add Bluetooth Device Wizard will appear.
Click to select my device is set up and ready to be found.
Click on Next.
Click to select the handset from the list and click on Next.
Click to select Let me choose my own passkey.
Type a 4 to 16 digit passkey (example: 1234) in the available field.
Click on Next.
On the handset, enter the passkey used on the PC and click the trackball.
On the Accept connection request prompt, scroll to Don't ask this again and click the trackball.
Then scroll to Yes and click the trackball.
On the PC, click on Finish.
Return to the Devices tab of Bluetooth Devices.
Click to select the handset from the list and click on Properties.
Click on the Services tab.
Ensure that Dial-up networking (DUN) is checked.
Click on OK twice.
Click on Start, Settings and then Control Panel.
Double click on Phone and Modem Options.
Click on the Modems tab.
Click to select Standard Modem over Bluetooth link.
Click Properties.
On the handset, on the Accept connection request prompt, scroll to Don't ask this again and click the trackwheel.
Then scroll to Yes and click the trackball.
On the PC, click on the Advanced tab. Type at+cgdcont=1,?IP?,?isp.cingular? in the Extra initialization commands field.
Click on OK twice.

Setting up the connection

On the PC, return to the Control Panel.
Double click on Network Connections.
Click on Create a new connection.
A New Connection Wizard will appear, click on Next.
Click to select Connect to the Internet and click on Next.
Click to select Set up my connection manually and click on Next.
Click to select Connect using a dial-up modem and click on Next.
If prompted, click to select Standard Modem over Bluetooth link.
Ensure it is the only modem checked and click on Next.
Type ATT Data for the ISP Name and click on Next.
Type *99# for the Phone number and click on Next.
Type (e-mail address removed) for the User name.
Type CINGULAR1 for the Password and Confirm password fields.
Click to select from the available options and click on Next.
Click on Finish.

Making the connection

On the PC, return to Network Connections.
Double click on the ATT Data icon.
Click on Dial.
You will now be connected to the AT&T Data service.

Just to repeat again... The ONLY firmware on your blackberry that will support this feature is 4.2.1.66. That's it. No other firmware version will work. You will be wasting your time if you try. APN settings don't matter if you're not running 4.2.1.66. :)

Just to repeat again... The ONLY firmware on your blackberry that will support this feature is 4.2.1.66. That's it. No other firmware version will work. You will be wasting your time if you try. APN settings don't matter if you're not running 4.2.1.66. :)

where do i get 4.2.1.66 for AT&T/Cingular??

Anyone 4.2.1.66? is this a potential issue with locking put in place by Cingular's firmware?

If so maybe there is a unlocked version out there?

I want this thing to work with my pearl badly...

does it work with the curve?

r_nally, you can't be serious... did you even read through the first post in this thread?

billclark said:
You may find information on how to do so here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...y-release.html

I'm on AT&T, this has nothing to do with "locking" the handset to a particular network, and updating your firmware will never release a subsidy lock. My handset is unlocked, and changing the firmware does not change that.

r_nally, you can't be serious... did you even read through the first post in this thread?

YES BILLCLARK I AM SERIOUS

I would love for you to go to that link and tell me exactly where I can find firmware version 4.2.1.66 for Cingular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackberry on Verizon?

I'm a little afraid to ask but has anyone had a BB on Verizon configured to work? I'm getting the sense that it is all about the firmware (thanks Bill) but I only see 4.1.xxx available for me on their website. Will downloading the firmware from another vendor totally screw up my BB?

Thanks,
chuck

I'm a little afraid to ask but has anyone had a BB on Verizon configured to work? I'm getting the sense that it is all about the firmware (thanks Bill) but I only see 4.1.xxx available for me on their website. Will downloading the firmware from another vendor totally screw up my BB?

Thanks,
chuck

Chuck,

I haven't really looked into trying to use a Verizon phone. I'd imagine it's the same hardware, aside from the CDMA radio interface versus GSM on other carriers. You can load any firmware version from any carrier on any BlackBerry, but they are model specific (i.e., don't go installing the 8100 firmware on an 8700 series device, it won't work). Just make sure you delete the "Vendor.xml" file from the loader files directory, which you'll read all about in the BlackBerryForums.com thread in my first post. :)

-B

Mr. Clark,

Won't you please enlighten us all as to where we can find the download of 4.2.1.66 along with the instructions you speak for applying it to any carrier model.

Mr. Clark,

Won't you please enlighten us all as to where we can find the download of 4.2.1.66 along with the instructions you speak for applying it to any carrier model.

While I can't speak for Mr. Clark, I would recommend you to "Blackberryforums.com" for instructions on how to revert back to a lower level of operating system. Look in the "RIM Software Thread". The folks there are very helpful.

The last remaining "applications version" 4.2.1.66 can be found in Venezuela or on the web at: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D010396CA8ABF6EAD8CACC2C2F2F26C7

If this does not work for you, ask around the BB forum, maybe someone has it in some form of down loadable file. You will need to be sure that the type of carrier matches yours, CDMA, GSM, etc.

I know from experience that .66 was very buggy but apparently, from what I have read, here and there, its the only version that will allow TT tethering.

Good luck.

While I can't speak for Mr. Clark, I would recommend you to "Blackberryforums.com" for instructions on how to revert back to a lower level of operating system. Look in the "RIM Software Thread". The folks there are very helpful.

The last remaining "applications version" 4.2.1.66 can be found in Venezuela or on the web at: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D010396CA8ABF6EAD8CACC2C2F2F26C7

If this does not work for you, ask around the BB forum, maybe someone has it in some form of down loadable file. You will need to be sure that the type of carrier matches yours, CDMA, GSM, etc.

I know from experience that .66 was very buggy but apparently, from what I have read, here and there, its the only version that will allow TT tethering.

Good luck.

Thanks for your help!

OK so I have a Blackberry Curve (8330) with Verizon. I pair bluetooth and transfer my phone numbers without a problem. Although the only thing I get is phone numbers. Having the names assigned with those would be nice as well.

Anyway.... None of the plus services work. Is this a Blackberry issue or a Verizon issue? I have the TomTom 720 which I bought hoping to use the Traffic feature.

Believe you need to have the phone 'tethered' but more knowlegeable people than I need to advise you.......

Ask a Question