TomTom Wireless Data finally works with BlackBerry 8100!

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 510
So, as promised, I'm posting because RIM has finally made a change to their OS that will allow TomTom users to access wireless data services via their BlackBerry device.

I've only tested this on the 8100, which I have. The process requires you to upgrade your Blackberry OS to 4.2.1.x from the current 4.2.0.x. A carrier in Italy is the first to release 4.2.1.x "gold" code to the public, though the software will work on any carrier's Blackberry with a little bit of tweaking. You may find information on how to do so here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gen...411-4-2-1-102-4-2-1-66-tim-italy-release.html

Please read through that entire thread prior to posting here and asking questions, you'll find that most questions needed to be asked have been answered in that thread.

Happy navigating!

Glad to hear you got it working!

Now... if we could only get this practice to work on TTF. :)

Please read through that entire thread prior to posting here and asking questions, you'll find that most questions needed to be asked have been answered in that thread.

LOL battom :) I know it's an exercise in futility, but I figured I'd throw that out there anyhow.

Anyone have any luck doing this with Cingular after upgrading to the latest OS?

If so, please list your manual settings on the TomTom.

I have tried all known settings and can not get it to work.

Thanks!

Doug

I have. Don't use manual. Just choose United States, and "Cingular Wireless (media works)". Sailed right through for me :)

TMobile Blackberry 8100!?!

Hi all, I have a TMobile Blackberry 8100 and am trying to connect the TomTom so I can receive Wireless Data. Problem is it isn't working. Can someone walk me thru setting it up? I've heard of people getting it to work with Cingular but so far I haven't seen anyone with TMobile in the US getting it to work. Can someone help me please! Thanks,

- Dan

Hi all, I have a TMobile Blackberry 8100 and am trying to connect the TomTom so I can receive Wireless Data. Problem is it isn't working. Can someone walk me thru setting it up? I've heard of people getting it to work with Cingular but so far I haven't seen anyone with TMobile in the US getting it to work. Can someone help me please! Thanks,

- Dan

Dan,

Go to the original post in this thread. I left a link to the forum explaining EXACTLY what must be done to get this to work. It's not an "out-of-the-box" type thing. Make sure you read the whole thread before attempting the upgrade.

-B

I can not get this to work. I am now using the latest 910 firmware and the latest 4.2.1.66 OS on my 8100. I go through and select 'Cingular - Media Works' and it doesnt' connect. I can connect via bluetooth from my laptop to the internet so I know the issue is not the phone. TomTom Home states I have the latest 910 firmware 6.5.24. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

I can not get this to work. I am now using the latest 910 firmware and the latest 4.2.1.66 OS on my 8100. I go through and select 'Cingular - Media Works' and it doesnt' connect. I can connect via bluetooth from my laptop to the internet so I know the issue is not the phone. TomTom Home states I have the latest 910 firmware 6.5.24. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Never mind, the problem was my Traffic account was disabled by TomTom. Now that they re-enabled the account all is well!

Never mind, the problem was my Traffic account was disabled by TomTom. Now that they re-enabled the account all is well!

I have an 8700, an dmay be moving to an 8800 soon. Does anyone know if the 8800 works? I know I am pretty much SOL for the 8700

I upgrade and still can't connect the pearl!

Hi again, I did upgrade my Blackberry 8100 to the link specified. I have TMobile service in the US. So far no one has told me what the exact settings should be for TMobile. I have tried the following settings with some variations.... I have also tried the four different TMobile settings in the TomTom.

APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username: blank
Password: blank
Number to dial: *99#
Modem Initialization string: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

I have tried different usernames and password for TMobile. I am able to connect to my laptop using similar settings but the TomTom wont recognize it. It does pair and it does say it support Wireless Data but fails when trying to configure. Can anyone with TMobile and not Cingular confirm that it works? Thanks, Also I'm sure the upgrade worked because I checked the settings....about page and it matches the version numbers of the update.
- Dan

I can now confirm that the PLUS services DOES work with T-Mobile's MobileWeb internet plan ($5.99/mo). Now I get Traffic and weather.

After the auto-config fails I used these manual settings on my TomTom ONE:

APN: wap.voicestream.com
Username:
Password:
Dial: *99#
Connection string: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" (case and whitespace sensitive)

I can vouch for this and say that it works, it took me about 3 times but finally got it to work. The Connection string has to be perfect. Let us know how you make out.

Almost There....

Hi again,
Well it still doesn't work. No one has really confirmed that the Blackberry 8100 with TMobile in the US is working with the TomTom. Everyone seems to have a different setup. I have 2 ideas as to why its not working, maybe you guys can help me out. 1 is that TMobile has separate settings for blackberries. I mean wap.voicestream.com might be for regular phones while Blackberries use a different setting.
I don't think this is the problem but it might make sense. How does Cingular's settings work? I read somewhere that people who got it to work with the Blackberry were using Media NET for Cingular. My question then would be is there a Cingular Blackberry data plan specific to Blackberries? Thats what TMobile has and could be the problem.
My other idea is that the Bluetooth data connection on my phone is not enabled. I pair the phone to the TomTom and everything looks okay. When I check services available to that Device being paired, it only shows two... Handsfree and Handset Audio Gateway. If it was working it would show another service like Data Service Gateway or something like that.
I know it can work over Bluetooth because I've gotten a connection using the settings I've stated earlier with the computer and it works. Can anyone with a TMobile US Blackberry Pearl 8100 confirmed that it works with the TomTom for wireless data. From my point of view, the upgrade I did just added some nice features but didn't enable any kind of connection for the TomTom. Oh and I did upgrade the TomTom as well to the newest version.
So I'm at

TomTom 910 ver. 6.524
TMobile US Blackberry Pearl 8100 - ver. 4.2.1.66 (Platform 2.3.0.57)

Nothing works. Same issues as before I upgraded. Thanks for any help.

- Dan

Remove your paired TomTom, then re-pair it. I had to do that with mine to the "Serial Port" to show up.

Miracle!

Hi all,
I just want to report that I finally got it working. It doesn't make any sense why it works but it does. I'm just going to explain what I did.

I tried the same old settings I had been using, no luck. Deleted the TomTom from the Blackberry and deleted the Blackberry from the TomTom. I tried adding again from the TomTom. It successfully paired it but still no go after entering the settings. I don't know why but I decided to try the default settings for Cingular (MediaNET) even though I have a TMobile phone. It didn't work but it did take longer to tell me that it didn't work. I entered the settings manually for TMobile after it failed with Cingular and then it connected. I didn't believe it so I deleted it right after it finished to see if that was the key. Well I tried one try with TMobile settings thru manual configuration. It worked!!!! And now I can pair it everytime. It seems like there might be a bug in that upgraded version of the Blackberry software but I'm happy they added the feature as well.

Another thing to note is that the service is still not listed in the device properties on the Blackberry. So basically I don't understand why its working but it is. Thanks for reading and I hope this helps anyone experiencing anything similar.

- Dan

Ask a Question