PC <-> Wireless <-> TomTom

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
After the umpteenth time of unhooking my TomTom from my car (and/or PC), and carrying it to the other location so that it could be programmed or used, I thought "This is nuts :eek:" Why shuttle this device back and forth? I run the risk of dropping it, and eventually wobbling-out the USB connector (not to mention the VERY flimsy remote antenna).

What with several devices working in my house on Ethernet (802.11b/g) - including my phone; and a couple on a Bluetooth PAN (including my phone), I began to muse how nice it would be to just leave the TomTom in the car, but be able to do normal TomTom things (d/l, configure, operate, etc.) just like the thing was sitting here with my PC on a USB cable.

I realize there are several obstacles to this, like an incomplete wireless comm stack, power control, and security. But man, wouldn't that be nice. Just leave 'er in the car (in the garage) and fiddle away on the computer. Get it the car/truck and it's all set.

OK, OK, I'll go chill out now. Guess my imagination got the best of me.

Last edited:
The main problem with that is reception. b/g and even n wifi have decent but relatively poor penetration abilities. And while it may work great for you some people would find it easier to bring the tomtom in rather then a router repeater in there garage.

Plus the additional expense to the devices. I would assume 20 bucks or so just in hardware (pre being marked up) then if you have wifi capability why not have a web browser and email? So 50+ more for the software and more hardware to run it.

By the time its said and done you could just a laptop with GPS antenna and software cheaper (you already can on the high end models). And when using a laptop you are only limited by the software written for the programs.

I've been plugging my Tomtom in 2-3 times a day for a very long time now without wearing anything out yet.

I'm sure a time will come when air cards are used in nav devices or something like that...

Yeah, the viability would definitely depend on the physical layout of your house and network. I've seen most "g" routers handle some pretty big areas (most houses), and even map downloading is not much data, so speed wouldn't likely be critical if you have even a moderate signal.

However, without getting into the cost escallation you mention, it would be nice to do it with Bluetooth. An extension off existing Ethernet networks should be feasible at low cost, if you have wireless in your house.

I'm not looking for a browser in the car. Just a way to reduce the amount of (breakable) stuff I haul back and forth to the car every day. (Hmmm... makes me wonder what tweaks are going to arise from the Goggle function in the 740's!).

The 730 supports Bluetooth DUN to get to data on many GSM phones, no support for wifi nor bluetooth PAN.

If you're really network savvy, maybe you can get one of your home computers to look like a phone and pair with the Tomtom for data. Let us know if/how you get it working.

Data pairing allows quickgpsfix, voice, and map downloads. Surprisingly not mapshare.

I just pay for the data plan on my phone. I use it primarily for traffic, but my quickgpsfix is set on auto-update as well on the phone.

You could run your whole OS and maps from an SD card and only bring it back and forth.

Just a thought

Mule

Last edited:
Very good indeed!!!

An SD card big enough can contain the entire TomTom system as well as music and video. I have a 4gb SD on my TT, I have a great deal of music and some videos and there's plenty of room left to put the entire app since it is just under 2gb (that's with some voices and icons and unnecessary stuff removed). What I like about this device is that I can listen to my favorite music through my car stereo and having the phone connected to it via bluetooth and still get directions at the right time while it does all this. It is just incredible.
What will they think of next? Oh wait, may be a better TomTom home app, cause let's face it, this one isn't up to the task.

Ask a Question