TomTom Wireless Data and tmobile 8700 - Help

I can't get the weather or traffic to work with my tmobile 8700. It will not make the wireless data connection. I've seen post where it works with cingular. Has anyone been able to make this work?

I can't get the weather or traffic to work with my tmobile 8700. It will not make the wireless data connection. I've seen post where it works with cingular. Has anyone been able to make this work?
I got traffic to work once I upgraded to the full internet ($19.99/mo). I can't tell though if I'm getting anything better than the information you get with the antenna. I tried to unplug the antenna to see how it would work with just the GPRS and I couldn't tell the difference.

EDIT- I thought I had traffic. I was able to connect and get weather. When I went to the TomTom site, under the PLUS services, it listed that I don't have traffic. I get traffic using the antenna so I called up a CSR. He claims the traffic information is exactly the same, it's just a different way to get the information. Meanwhile, it looks like they ARE different types of data here;

http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=rds-tmc

So now I'm completely confused.

Last edited:
I have used both TomTom Traffic and TMC Traffic on the same unit and can confirm that the data is different. The subscriptions are different too, and having a subscription to one does not mean you have a subscription to the other. The antenna comes with a 1 year subscription. If you want TomTom Traffic, that is an additional cost.

While TomTom Traffic does appear to provide more flow data, and more detailed data on more incidents, it also appears to include speculative data. I say it includes speculative data because I have seen reports of traffic where it would normally be, even when none is present, and in some locations, the delay information is identical from one day to the next.

Ask a Question