TomTom Traffic.

TomTom Model(s)
Go720traffic, Go710 via120 Galaxy Tab Samsung s3 Smartphone
Is it possible to use the traffic receiver previously used on the Go 720 on my Via 120 with the necessary adapter plug.
Any help would welcome
Regards, Ken.

In theory yes but I have to tell you that I have tried the configuration with the proper adapter and not only did the traffic not work, the unit did not even recognize that a car charger was attached!

You may be more successful...........

Hi,
Thanks for the prompt reply I am at present talking to Halfords main dealers for TomTom in the U.K. who tell me it should work but it must have the genuine TomTom part.
If I have any success I will report back.

Further to my last entry the final verdict is "Don't buy a tmc traffic receiver for a TomTom with a micro usb socket unless it comes with an adapter to enable you to connect to mini usb which will be fitted to the receiver.You can't buy the adapter seperate"
This information was given by TomTom technical support.:sad:

I suspect that may actually mean that the receiver itself is a different version, and the only way to ensure you get the right one is to buy it in the pack that has the mini-micro adapter in it.

The adapter should only be a straight through passive connector that would always work wherever it came from, so long as the receiver was compatible with the TomTom.

If you do buy a new receiver (complete with adapter), it would be interesting to see if that one works with the adapter you bought separately..

I suspect that may actually mean that the receiver itself is a different version, and the only way to ensure you get the right one is to buy it in the pack that has the mini-micro adapter in it.
I would be cautious about how to interpret that statement from the store about the adapter.

There is always a chance that they are misinterpreting information from TomTom. It is possible that the original statement was intended to say nothing more than that the receiver will not connect to the GPS without a mini-micro adapter and that TomTom does not sell the adapter separately.

I have observed many times over the years that accurate communication is very hard to achieve, even with the best of intentions.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question