TomTom Reviews

Been looking at TT units for quite a while. I currently have some Garmin GPS's. I would like to get a TT GPS for comparison. TT units look good online. However, the reviews that I see on other forums and Amazon are mostly negative, particularly concerning customer service. I really would like to try a TT, but am frustrated at all the negative comments I've seen.

Any response on this?

I looked at the 1605tm and some others. Not interested in any smartphone stuff, as I do not have a smartphone.

Thanks.

I think you'll find that reviews for most products on online forums tend to be negative. That's the nature of the beast. The same for customer service reviews. If the poster doesn't get complete satisfaction, if if he/she doesn't warrant what is requested, then customer service is always at fault.

All that said, some people indeed do get poor advice from customer service, including those employed by TomTom.

Agreed!

In your personal observations, which 5" TT GPS gets the least negative, or more positive, reviews...or even does the job as advertised? I'm serious about getting one....just a little confused for now.

You'd have to be more specific about your needs/wants.

Is LIVE traffic important to you? Ability to add custom pois? Lifetime maps? etc.

Depends a bunch on what features you want and where you are. I see no location, so peeking at your IP address (models and model numbers vary across the planet).

OK - I see California.

Big thing to discuss first is what features you'd like to have. For example, TomTom has kept their Live service available for a number of years now (I know Garmin was hit and miss on that for a bit), and it works well. If the idea of Live traffic that covers lots of local roads as well as the big ones appeals to you, you might consider the GO1535TM Live. That gives you lifetime maps as well. If you don't need Live services, have a look at the Via1535TM. In any case, make sure you get a model with at least the "M" suffix as those are the ones with the lifetime maps subscriptions -- though you don't see many around that don't have this now!

Tell us what you think of the features on those and let's talk again.

You'd have to be more specific about your needs/wants.

Is LIVE traffic important to you? Ability to add custom pois? Lifetime maps? etc.

Live Traffic and/or custom POI's are not on my priority list. Lifetime maps/traffic is important, though.

A 1605 TM will do the job (it has a 6" screen). A Via 1535 TM (5" screen) as well.

Depends a bunch on what features you want and where you are. I see no location, so peeking at your IP address (models and model numbers vary across the planet).

OK - I see California.

Big thing to discuss first is what features you'd like to have. For example, TomTom has kept their Live service available for a number of years now (I know Garmin was hit and miss on that for a bit), and it works well. If the idea of Live traffic that covers lots of local roads as well as the big ones appeals to you, you might consider the GO1535TM Live. That gives you lifetime maps as well. If you don't need Live services, have a look at the Via1535TM. In any case, make sure you get a model with at least the "M" suffix as those are the ones with the lifetime maps subscriptions -- though you don't see many around that don't have this now!

I looked at the Via 1535tm and the 1605tm. They both look nice. I guess I'm too paranoid about all the negative reviews. Give me some encouragement here...I'm getting a little tired of Garmin. And forget Magellan. I am in the process of returning a Garmin 3590lmt mainly because of the routing errors.

In retrospect, the best GPS I ever had (I still have it) is the Navigon 7200T. Too bad they were bought by Garmin. No more map updates....

I run both a Via1535 and Via1605, and neither have given me any grief at all. You don't say how old you are, but the Via1605 is VERY easy on old eyeballs like mine. They've made good use of the additional real estate, and it's one of the brightest and sharpest looking resistive screens I've ever used (a good bit higher resolution than anything else TomTom offers in North America).

I looked at the Via 1535tm and the 1605tm. They both look nice. I guess I'm too paranoid about all the negative reviews. Give me some encouragement here...I'm getting a little tired of Garmin. And forget Magellan. I am in the process of returning a Garmin 3590lmt mainly because of the routing errors.
I think that there was a lot of justification a couple of years ago for negative reviews of the NAV3 devices - of which the Via 1535 was one. These models were introduced prematurely, lacking a number of previously existing features and with some bugs. However, TomTom has since progressively added features and squashed bugs, to the point where the NAV3 units are pretty good now.

They also moved their North American Customer Support from the U.S to Mexico about the same time, and introducing a brand new staff to the phone lines had the results you would might expect during that time. BTW, my personal experience with CS right after I bought my XXL540TM (the first GPS I ever used) in early 2011 was excellent.

FWIW, I regularly follow another GPS web site that is oriented very heavily toward POI files, but also has threads on other subjects. It happens to also have a very heavy concentration of Garmin users, and I see a lot of complaints there about Garmin units. The conclusion that I have reached is that both Garmin and TomTom have their own issues and their own merits. If I were forced to make a GPS purchase today, I would sit down and write up a list of what features are most important to me, in priority order. I would then make up tables of the various models from Garmin and TomTom and the features of each model, and then compare my list with those tables - making my choice based on the results.

- Tom -

Last edited:

OK - I see California.

OK. I looked again at posts about the 1605tm and found lots of negatives about map updates and the problems associated. I do want lifetime maps and traffic updates as well. The 1535tm has even more negative reviews. Understandably, Garmins have issues as well, but seemingly not to the degree as the aforementioned TT units.

What I thought about doing is to get one of each (1605/1535) and test them myself. Of course, that depends on a good return policy. Never had a TT before. OTOH, I may as well wait a while and see what TT will offer in '14 here in the U.S. Do you guys know what TT will offer in '14 for the U.S. (newer models of the 1605/1535)?

Right now, I'm weary of looking at any GPS's and am going to spend more time with family during this blessed season!

A 1605 TM will do the job (it has a 6" screen). A Via 1535 TM (5" screen) as well.

Looked again at both. I like the 6" screen, but concerned about the suction cup issue (taking it off/on). I looked at the cubby mounts website, too. Depending on what new unit I will get, I eventually want a cubby mount for my '14 Subaru Legacy. Looks like the 1605 would be a challenge to fit in that cubby.

@bassangler
I know of no pandemic issues with map updates. Updates are issued concurrently on TomTom's site for both models (it's the same map), and the PC application and process is identical across the entire 'NAV3' product line that they've been selling in North America for a number of years now.

As for the Via1535TM vs. Via1605TM, apart from screen size and resolution (both higher on the 1605), there are no functional differences between these units... which I suppose says something about reviews in general. If you pick up one of each, what you will find is that one has a nicer screen than the other, and occupies slightly more space. That's it.

As for 2014, beware for now. I'm sure TomTom wouldn't be happy for me to say so, but their new generation 'NAV4' units (not yet shipping in North America, but already shipping in Europe for several months) aren't quite ready for prime time. Many missing basic features, a brand new user interface that has definitely NOT met with anything close to universal approval, and code that is still a bit buggy. For most users, they offer nothing more than a new look with missing features, and frankly, there are very few reasons to prefer them over the NAV3 design, even if they get the bugs worked out.

... found lots of negatives about map updates and the problems associated.
That's hogwash.
They send you an eMail about the new map you connect your device to the PC on which you previously installed the Support Application MyDrive Connect, downloaded from TomTom's web site.
It'll sown New Update available you click on the map icon and "Update" and walk away.
40 minute 90 minutes later, depending on your PC and ISP, your device will display that it is safe to be disconnected.

Canderson and dhn have run both models through the ringer I only have the 1535.
Tell us briefly what problems you heard about and and we will tell you if it is true or if it did exist but was eliminated by a free software update.

Since we are users like you, and this is a peer-to-peer forum, we have no priviliged information as to what is coming down the line but, as canderson said, some Europeans are not so very thrilled with the new 'Nav4' devices.

That's hogwash.

Thanks for getting straight to the point! Based on you guys input, I'm gonna get either the 1605tm/1535tm and give it a fair shot. Probably be right after Christmas. Maybe the price will go down even more.

Thanks again.

OK. I'm going to get the 1605TM after Christmas.

A little concerned about the mount, though. I never attach to the windshield. I have a cubby in the center of my dashboard ('14 Subaru Legacy) that I would like to rig the mount to fit in (not permanently...just remove it when leaving the vehicle).

Just wondering if you or anyone else has any ideas on this sort of thing. I've already been to cubbymounts.com and checked, but see nothing about a 6" unit fix. I have a Navigon 7200T there now and I rigged it to fit perfectly.

There's no difference between the mount on the Via1535 and Via1605, so if you can see one you like for the 1535, it'll fit just fine. However, all I spotted at cubbymounts.com were 17mm ball adapters. Most of the 'new' crop of TomTom units are using a 16mm ball, so beware! If you wind up with a 17" ball, you'll need some patience and a Dremel or similar to reduce the size enough to get it to snap into a TomTom.

The solution I employed on my wife's vehicle was to cut a small block of wood with felt pads to slide snugly into the 'cubby' and then use a 'hard mount' from TomTom (4 screws vs. suction cup) to the wood.

The solution I employed on my wife's vehicle was to cut a small block of wood with felt pads to slide snugly into the 'cubby' and then use a 'hard mount' from TomTom (4 screws vs. suction cup) to the wood.

Sounds like a great remedy. Where did you get the hard mount?

Just sittin' around today while the wife is gone to visit family. I'm stuck here with a touch of the flu. Didn't want the rest of the family to get it. Hope you and your family have a great Christmas season. Some people have forgotten what Christmas is all about.

[quote="bassangler, post: 177529, member: 71784] I'm stuck here with a touch of the flu. Didn't want the rest of the family to get it. [/quote]
What an elegant way to miss the outlaws.

Ask a Question