tomtom one new version have to re-purchase maps

Hi, I've been a lurker on the forums but haven't been able to find anything. So recently my brother accidently reformatted my tomtom because he thought it was his flash drive and didn't know why all of that stuff was on it, hence he formatted my gps and now I have nothing.

I hit updates and everything seems on there except for my maps. I called CS and they told me that i would have to purchase maps which makes no sense because I could buy another tomtom one for close to that cost! 100 dollars. Does anyone know if there is another solution besides purchasing new maps? I checked my cd and found nothing along with being put on hold with CS for 2 hours to be told that I could not be helped and now I have a paper weight on my desk.

Did you talk to a supervisor? Keep moving up the food chain until you get the problem fixed. Remember it costs TT nothing to restore your GPS.

IMHO, TomTom SHOULD supply a CD with the version of the software shipped in the unit. This is no different than computer manufactures shipping a restore disk with a PC. That would totally solve issues like this. In addition you should ALWAYS be able to redownload maps you have paid for.

Yeah, this doesn't sound right to me either. I would ask to speak to a supervisor. They should at least offer to have you send it back to them so THEY can restore it for you, then send it back to you.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to call and ask for a supervisor later this week. I was trying to talk things out, but my fiance was nagging me to hurry up because we had a ski trip to get to. I ended up having to borrow a friend's garmin nuvi 350 that had some of the oldest routes on it that made me feel like I used mapquest.

I hope they offer some sort of resolution because I feel scammed, I paid 250 dollars for this when it came out and to add another 100 dollars for maps I did have doesn't make any sense to me. I usually backup my things but with grad school and work, I never had a chance to get to this. It seemed as if the backups took longer than me burning a dvd which is more time than I have on a regular day.

Once again, this tale reminds us all of the importance of making a backup - preferably using Windows Explorer rather than the Home program.

Ask a Question