TomTom One Disk Corrupted

I have a TomTom One that is issuing an error whenever it is trying to update. Also, when connecting the device, windows reports a disk error.

I have no back available of the original files for the Tom Tom One.

I have also tried to copy the current contents over to my hard drive, but it will not copy over.

I have also tried the chkdsk e: /r but it has numerous unrecoverable errors.

E:\ is the TomTom One Device.

The exact error is:
ERROR: DesktopLib/DeviceItemScan/Error: Error during scanning for navigation items HomeBase/IO: Error reading file: E:\ephem\ee_meta.txt
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1938)
@ .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(74)

in .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:74
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:508
error(e);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 21:51:19 GMT

Last edited:
BIG, IMPORTANT beginning...

Although you are currently unable to copy ALL of the contents of your One over to your PC, it is important that you try to copy your map folder, and just your map folder, over to your PC to see if that works. If it does, we may be able to recover things. You didn't say where you are from, but I peeked, and see you're in the U.S.

While connected to your PC, look for a folder called (I believe) USA_Canada_Mexico. See if you can copy that folder successfully. If you can, we'll just reformat your entire unit, get some fresh firmware on it, and reload the map from your PC -- providing your unit isn't actually 'broken'.

And if you manage to get the map folder copied across and backed up safely, then try to copy everything else bit by bit, but EXCLUDING the folder called "ephem".

It's very possible it's just that one file in that folder that's corrupted, and there's nothing in there that's important (it's just the GPSQuickfix tweaks).

But how do I get the restore image file? I did not backup the tomtom unit prior to this issue, and there is no restore disk.

You can't... there is NO "restore image" available. That's why making backups is so essential.

As Canderson said you have to try your damndest to recover your map folder as everything else can be re-downloaded, but without the unlock key in that map folder (or a copy of it on your PC) you're down to buying a new map I'm afraid.

The error message you quoted looks like it has come from TomTom Home. You should be trying to access the contents of the TomTom memory using Windows Explorer, NOT Home.

Last edited:

Ask a Question