TomTom on Iphone....

:mad: :mad:

Now I am really pissed if this is true....

We have been left in cold for over a year on out of date maps for our WinMob devices and there is now a pretty solid rumor about TT on the new Iphone

Thanks for nothing TT

A posting on electronista.com today may clarify whether TT will be developing nav programs for the iPhone:

Apple cutting rivals out of iPhone navigation?
Apple may be attempting to block competition when it comes to GPS navigation on the iPhone, developers have observed. In the most recent version of the iPhone SDK, Section 3.3.7 of the license agreement tells users that "applications may not be designed or marketed for real time route guidance; automatic or autonomous control of vehicles, aircraft, or other mechanical devices; dispatch or fleet management; or emergency or life-saving purposes."

The language effectively bans much of the third-party software that might exploit the iPhone 3G's new GPS module, which could in theory be used to provide in-car or on-foot guidance beyond the static options present in Google Maps. The rules may prove especially frustrating for nav-unit maker TomTom, which yesterday told Reuters that it has already developed navigation software for the iPhone and plans to sell it commercially.

It is speculated that Apple may have the intention of developing its own real-time navigation software, but it has not announced any such plans to date.

I'm sorry that Apple has placed this restriction on app developers as it will, on the short term, prevent us from using any GPS nav software on the iPhone, and, on the long term, all but eliminate the availability of choices of such products. If Apple is choosing to reinvent the wheel (so to speak), I hope it does an excellent job and chooses a common file format, e.g. CSV.

:mad: :mad:

Now I am really pissed if this is true....

We have been left in cold for over a year on out of date maps for our WinMob devices and there is now a pretty solid rumor about TT on the new Iphone

Thanks for nothing TT

I suspect that statement is legal CYA.

If Apple really tried to block Garmin, TomTom or any other GPS company they would be in a restraint of trade or unfair business practices legal action faster than you can blink.

The restrictions the article refers to is only to Google Maps API. TomTom is said to be working on an iPhone version.

I suspect that statement is legal CYA.

If Apple really tried to block Garmin, TomTom or any other GPS company they would be in a restraint of trade or unfair business practices legal action faster than you can blink.

Whhaaaa? What country do you live in where you can't create, develop, and sell a phone without deciding who makes money off it? Have you ever seen a verizon phone? they are locked down six ways from sunday, and nobody files 'restraint of trade' suits over them. Same thing for almost every product out there... If you create an SDK or APIs for your product, you are completely within your rights to restrict what can be done with those APIs/SDKs, it's done all the time!

Whhaaaa? What country do you live in where you can't create, develop, and sell a phone without deciding who makes money off it? Have you ever seen a verizon phone? they are locked down six ways from sunday, and nobody files 'restraint of trade' suits over them. Same thing for almost every product out there... If you create an SDK or APIs for your product, you are completely within your rights to restrict what can be done with those APIs/SDKs, it's done all the time!

Didn't Verizon open up its service to unlocked phones to join its network as long as it supported its network type, which most but theirs don't?

All companies put some sort of security on their phones, but theres always a way around it which most don't care other than they will void your warranty for support/replacement.

I think it is just apple trying to find another way to make money...I use an Iphone and apple coming out with something will be good for all consumers...it will create conflict between apple and the gps companies and things will get better all the way around, prices will drop on equipment, gps companies such as TT will listen more to their customer base..etc.

I think this is a good thing

just my opinion

Ask a Question