TomTom memory size

GAW

TomTom Model(s)
My &^%$%# 920 battery is no longer holding a charge. I am thinking of getting new unit with lifetime maps rather then fixing, but do not want to go to higher end, as i think in this rapidly evolving market, it will be a bad investment.

I am looking at the different models, and they seem to pretty much have eliminated the SD slot, and most models only have 1gb memory!

I updated a friend's 540 US maps, and it took 1.6 gb. This makes me think that the maps on the 1gb units are stripped down and may be very lacking in detailed coverage .

What is the story here - has TomTom retro-graded these newer units to have less detailed maps then older units.?

Welcome stranger. ;)

The 540 WTE (World Traveller Edition) comes with 4 gigs but the updated European map needs to be installed in zones as the full map won't fit.

The other North American models come with 2 gigs of storage. Newer maps may have less non road information such as rivers, etc. Further, fewer side roads may be shown. Also, the crpoi.dat (for additional poi info) no longer is included in the 860 maps. But many more new roads are added.

(you know, there are links to replacing the 930 battery here)

Hello,

I have been busy with pocket pc's (currently on rooted Tmo MT4G with custom ROM). I have US and Europe maps on it, but US map not as good as TeleAtlis.

I just ordered battery from batteryship and downloaded the picture guide for installation. I use this on motorcycle also, but without hard-wiring, so need the battery to work.

Still am very surprised by all the 1gb memory devices. Also, the traffic receivers remain useless in all but a few metro areas.

I use google traffic and traffic service on installed US map ($10/year), as they work wherever there is phone data signals.

Again - do not want to go high end (plus pay for live services), as mobile devices will soon obsolete stand-alone GPS's.

Swapping the battery isn't too painful. We've got a tutorial here. Should put your 920 back in operating condition quickly enough.

As for SD slots - you might consider the 740TM and after the trial period is over, just pass on the "Live" services. There's no obligation to buy them.

Swapping the battery almost was real painful!

The tutorial was good, but it sad to sacrifice the battery if necessary in trying to pry it off the cemented surface. Not a good idea, as mine apparently was damaged internally as I was prying it off and lit up like the forth of July. There was smoke, sparks, and then flames shooting from one end.

I guess this is why they warn about messing with lithium batteries. Fortunately, it was not facing me, and i was able to grab the battery with pliers and dump it in the sink and drown it.

Cleaned up the board, reassembled with new battery, and it is charged and working,

Should add a warning to the guide that, unlike the hard cased batteries in phones, these are relatively soft and not hard to damage - which you definitely do not want to do to a lithium battery!

Supermode mikealder preaches that a spray of WD40 (sorry, canderson :D ) around the battery and let it sit for 15 minutes helps to loosen up the glue.

Glad you are ok, GAW.

Ask a Question