tomtom live 1000

my wife bought me the live 1000 for my birthday,previously i had the the go 720.i have asked tomtom can i change speed on the unit like i can on the 720. my planning routes wont match my 720 by way of better class roads.can anyone assist please or i will have to map read as well as an expensive navigation system.rod.

Both models have IQ routing and you can change road speeds using Mapshare corrections on both BUT the revised speed is NOT considered for routing in EITHER, just for warning when going faster than allowed.

Perhaps the 1000 has a newer map with more up to date IQ routing data and, therefore, a different route is calculated IF you have the planning preferences in both set the SAME.

live 1000

not really sure what you mean,as the 720 allows setting a speed that then calculates time and distance at set speed to arrival point.the live 1000 does not seem to support the same preferences.rod.

We can agree to disagree on whether changing the road speed affects the ETA of arrival on a 720. Or whether the routing algorithm would even select a road that you've adjusted to a higher speed using mapshare instead of using imbedded road/IQ data already incorporated in the map you have installed.

not really sure what you mean,as the 720 allows setting a speed that then calculates time and distance at set speed to arrival point.the live 1000 does not seem to support the same preferences.rod.
Your 720 won't do that. More to the point, no speed limit makes any difference (within the map or those you add or modify) to IQRoutes ETA projections. IQRoutes uses the average speeds it knows about for roads. You could set the speed to 1000 mph and it wouldn't change the estimation. Even works if the average speed is faster than the speed limit. I have a route that I travel where the speed limit is 65, and if I don't keep up a pretty constant 75, I lose against the clock. My 720 knows that the average speed is higher than the limit, and projects accordingly.

I think you guys are getting hooked up on MapShare and IQ Routes, when that's not the point Rod is making...

On the Go720 one of the planning options along with "fastest", "shortest" etc. was "limited speed" - where you could type in a maximum speed you wanted to travel at. That would affect route timings and also (I think) road choice.

That option has been DROPPED on the super-whoopy new 'improved' models.

Think you are right, andy. The 'changing speed' threw me rather than 'limited speed' (which, by the way, doesn't always work --- at least for mapping data here in North America which has 3 road data types vs 6 in Europe, to my understanding).

Rod and Andy are correct. This was about the 9th missing feature that I questioned support about after I downgraded from a 720 to a 1000 live.

As someone who rarely drives at gas guzzling speeds i found the missing feature essential.

Ask a Question