TomTom 1000 Live

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 930
TomTom announced their new flagship model today the 1000 Live. Following in Garmin's footsteps, this new model is thinner and includes a capacitive touchscreen. Hardware is improved, using a 500MHz processor, 4GB storage, 128MB of RAM, and a new Broadcomm GPS chipset. They've added a WebKit-based browser, and 12 months of free TomTom Live services to the services. Expect the annual fee for live services to be reduced as well once the new model rolls out sometime in June. It will initially be avaailable in 33 countries, tho the HDTraffic will only be offered for 16 of those. Sorry guys, the US is not on Tomtom's list for this model.

Still waiting for specs like screensize and cell transmitter. I'm also trying to find out if the cell chip has LTE support.

500mhz arm and 4gb onboard seems a bit underpowered to me, still waiting to see if an SD slot is announced.

It appears to allow LIVE services app plugins. I wonder if that means it'll support the new Vodafone/Verizon cross-platform app store, which could make it make it a competitior to all the smartphones out there.

Last edited:
Apparently includes a separate graphics chip, so display performance should be improved.

According to posts this morning, TomTom also has signaled that they prefer no 3rd party apps be ported to the platform, with future versions of home being web-based. That would make adding unofficial TomTom software problematic since the drives won't mount as local. That's something I've anticipated since last year, so no surprise to me, but it's not being received well by those familiar with the repercussions of TomTom locking down their OS.

wsj is reporting here that they will be reopening their apis to third party developers. But it looks like they are focusing on a closed Tomtom-only app store.

They did say the store would cross their PNDs and their Automotive (in-dash) divisions.

Edit: This link works for those who don't subscribe to wsj.

Last edited:
tomtom-tomtom-go-live-1000-first-hands-on-golive1000.jpg

See the video clip of the device from Engadget here

An open API would mean GeoRss and saved searches such as the Dash had though and that would be a big improvement over retyping things that I commonly search for. Some things are just to big to build a custom up to date POI imo.

I would hope there is a 3G chip in their since this has a webkit browser built in.

Concurrent with the IFA, Tomtom has formally announced the arrival of the GO LIVE 1000 and GO LIVE 1005.

Smart, faster, stronger: The TomTom GO LIVE "super satnav" range has arrived

~ Next generation innovation meets world class traffic technology, putting drivers in the fast lane ~

IFA, Berlin, 02 September 2010 ? TomTom today announces the availability of its high-end GO and GO LIVE range, packed with hot new features and super-charged with HD Traffic? information. Introducing the TomTom GO and GO LIVE 1000, and the TomTom GO and GO LIVE 1005 with larger 13cm (5") screens.

"Our new flagship GO and GO LIVE 1000 range is the future of driving," John Blackett, Vice President Product Marketing at TomTom. "With functions like a finger-friendly touch screen, HD Traffic information with the LIVE versions, slick magnetic mount, speedier route calculation and our richest maps yet, these super satnav devices will get drivers to their destination faster, safer and smarter than ever before."

The fully connected GO LIVE 1000 range has been built for people who love driving, but who hate traffic. With free HD Traffic? for a year, drivers now gain access to the most accurate traffic information available, to outsmart the jams and always arrive on time and stress free. The powerful LIVE Services bundle also includes Speed Cameras, providing mobile and fixed speed camera alerts, helping drivers stay safe and avoid fines, while Local Search with Google? helps pinpoint shops and businesses in the area. And drivers don't have to worry about the weather spoiling their plans ? this smart device range receives up-to-date local and five-day forecasts courtesy of TomTom Weather.

The GO and GO LIVE 1000 is TomTom's first device range to feature the capacitive Fluid Touch screen which lets drivers pinch to zoom in and out of maps, or scroll through menus with the tips of their fingers. The screen responds intelligently and sensitively to even the lightest touch, making interaction more responsive than in any of its predecessors. And combined with an extra-wide touch screen measuring 13cm (5"), the GO 1005 features the clearest view on the road ahead with even easier operation and functionality.

For a quick start to the journey, TomTom has created the new Easy Click magnetic mount. Docking and undocking is now easier than ever ? even with just one hand. In fact, simply holding the device against the mount glides the TomTom GO LIVE simply into place.

And there's more: a powerful, super-fast computer processor allows speedier route calculation, while richer maps with IQ Routes? uses real speed data collected from millions of users to calculate accurate travel and arrival times. Plus every device comes with new, richer maps covering two million kilometres more roads across 45 European countries and more graphical details. These include even richer Points of Interest data ? including business phone numbers and opening times ? putting even more local information at the drivers' fingertips.

Combining cutting-edge features and enhanced usability, the new TomTom GO 1000, GO LIVE 1000, GO 1005 and GO LIVE 1005 devices really signal the arrival of the "super satnav".

TomTom announced their new flagship model today the 1000 Live. Following in Garmin's footsteps, this new model is thinner and includes a capacitive touchscreen. Hardware is improved, using a 500MHz processor, 4GB storage, 128MB of RAM, and a new Broadcomm GPS chipset. They've added a WebKit-based browser, and 12 months of free TomTom Live services to the services. Expect the annual fee for live services to be reduced as well once the new model rolls out sometime in June. It will initially be avaailable in 33 countries, tho the HDTraffic will only be offered for 16 of those. Sorry guys, the US is not on Tomtom's list for this model.
I've seen the demo and it looks great. Such a shame that the repeated 'Error 1008'type issues and regular interruptions to Live services combined plus below-industry-par support response make the whole solution so unreliable or I'd have ordered one immediately :(

Still waiting for specs like screensize and cell transmitter. I'm also trying to find out if the cell chip has LTE support.

500mhz arm and 4gb onboard seems a bit underpowered to me, still waiting to see if an SD slot is announced.

It appears to allow LIVE services app plugins. I wonder if that means it'll support the new Vodafone/Verizon cross-platform app store, which could make it make it a competitior to all the smartphones out there.
i agree on your smartphones comment. If TomTom don't start providing better functionality and especially reliability there is a real risk that free sat nav solutions which ship with some phones nowadays could steal a big chunk of their market share

Ask a Question