Tomtom Go Live Top Gear vs Go Live 1000 (UK)

I'm currently considering these two devices, and apart from the screen and mount, really can't see any major diferences between the two.

I see the Live 1000 is a year older but it seems to have a better screen.

Can anyone comment on reliability, software issues, sound quality or any other important features that may be different?

As for price, I can get the Live 1000 for £10 more than the Top Gear.

Many thanks!

edit: I see from reading this forum that the 1000 is 'closed' in that you can't make your own backups - is the Top Gear (an 820 I believe) open?

Last edited:
Nope the 820 models all are using Navcore 10.x or higher. So, they are 'closed' as well. User has no access to the file system on such models. No user backups of application or maps at this time ............ if ever.

After some further reading I see they're closed due to a patent dispute - are all current models now closed systems?

Thank you.

Looking at that, it seems that the XL IQ Routes v2 seems to be the best of the old bunch

Are these still good devices or should I really steer clear?

Of course I'd like one of the newer Live/Go models, but in the past I've found the file access invaluable for fixing problems with my Go 520 which has been pretty unreliable over the years (bad battery life, losing maps, and the last straw, touch screen became unresponsive - only the top half worked, then I screwed up the recalibration file so now none of it works and I can no longer press 'yes' to connect to the computer in order to fix it)

Perhaps Tomtoms are no longer for me :(

Looking at that, it seems that the XL IQ Routes v2 seems to be the best of the old bunch

NO!! The XL IQ Routes was excellent, but avoid the V2 (and any TomTom with a small "2" after the name) like the plague. Those have the "dumbed down" menu system and missing features.

Of course I'd like one of the newer Live/Go models, but in the past I've found the file access invaluable for fixing problems .....
.....then I screwed up the recalibration file so now none of it works and I can no longer press 'yes' to connect to the computer in order to fix it)

That's ironic... One of the reasons TomTom gave for the "closed" system was stopping people bricking their units by too much "tweaking". :)

I don't think you should dismiss the new models out of hand, just for not being able to get inside them.
The MyTomTom PC interface HAS improved since the early days, and you can now add POIs, voices (not TTS yet), warning sounds, Map colour schemes etc. to the TomToms much as you could before.

Most people like the new, bright, multi-touch screens of the top-end models, and the routing calculations happen FAR faster than on the old models.

There are plenty of things from the old that I miss on the new, but the new ones are still damned good PNDs.

Thank you.

I think you've helped me make up my mind to go for the Go Live 1000. I'd probably get fed up with Jeremy Clarkson after a while, and the magnetic mount of the 1000 looks easier to use.

I just have to hope I don't get one that's bricked from the start, lol (like my first 520)

I MUCH prefer the Go1000's mount to the fixed ones they are using for the 800 series and Vias.

(but I like the mount from the old G0x40/x50 models even more!)

Ask a Question