TomTom Go730

Does it use a sensor or times software?

Come on! you know NOT to ask me tough questions! :eek:

I don't use Suntime, Birdman, so my 720 does use a sensor. There are some that complain that, in fact, the sensor is too sensitive in that the switch from light-->dark will also take place when the car is passing through a darker area, such as a grove of trees.

I don't use Suntime, Birdman, so my 720 does use a sensor. There are some that complain that, in fact, the sensor is too sensitive in that the switch from light-->dark will also take place when the car is passing through a darker area, such as a grove of trees.

A-ha! That's pretty conclusive evidence that it uses a sensor. Thanks....see, not so toughy :D

The x20 range sensor is pretty sensitive.
I started to use the day mode and I have the option to turn the brightness down when dark and uncheck the change to night view.
This option keeps my day scheme but the brightness is turned down.

It's pretty sensitive, but not to the degree that justifies any complaining.

It also doesn't just switch from day to night, but also adjusts normal screen brightness.

Hi all, my first post in this forum!

I just bought a 730 and can report that it does use a light sensor. I can further confirm that there are times it is over-sensitive such as when it is very overcast.

However overall I like the sensor better than Garmin's way of using fixed times to switch to night mode.

Advanced lane guidance feature in Tomtom go 730

I live in Connecticut, USA. Bought TT730 3 days ago, Advanced lane guidance in my unit does not work. I upgraded from TT720 to 730 because of this feature, please help. Calls to TT tech support the last 2 days go nowhere.

I live in Connecticut, USA. Bought TT730 3 days ago, Advanced lane guidance in my unit does not work. I upgraded from TT720 to 730 because of this feature, please help. Calls to TT tech support the last 2 days go nowhere.

What do you mean by not working? There apparently is, under preferences, status bar, the option to turn the lane guidance on, I believe. Or perhaps, it is the option to show the static pictures at lane separations. One of them, anyway. Further, those static pictures do not show on every road.

I live in NY but travel to LA a lot and noticed that even in LA - where there are 8 lane freeways - the advanced lane guidance is hit and miss. I think it is a matter of the graphics being available for a particular section of a given roadway. But I'd bet that only 30% of the interchanges along the 5, 101, 10, 405, etc. were highlighted with advanced lane guidance on my last trip. It's cool when it works...especially in LA. But I think this feature is more of an up and comer and not ready for prime time in the US. One would think TomTom would be a bit more forthright about the general poor availability of advanced lane guidance graphics, but then we probably all know TomTom to be marketer 1st, customer advocate 2nd.

Drive down to the D.C. area and you'll see it. I'm in Baltimore and it doesn't activate in any of the areas around here. I believe it depends on the data that's in the current map you're using. We'll probably see it increase with future map releases, hopefully it could come through MapShare but I'm doubting it. I had to run a demo route in the D.C. beltway area 95/495 to see it work.
John

Drive down to the D.C. area and you'll see it. I'm in Baltimore and it doesn't activate in any of the areas around here. I believe it depends on the data that's in the current map you're using. We'll probably see it increase with future map releases, hopefully it could come through MapShare but I'm doubting it. I had to run a demo route in the D.C. beltway area 95/495 to see it work.
John

Advance Lane Guidance refers to the arrows in the left side of the status bar showing the direction of the lanes you should be taking.

Reality View refers to the static photos that may or may not appear in the top right of the screen supposedly depicting the actual lanes with the turn arrows on them. And you can have this option show or not show, depending upon your selection in Preferences.

I think, understandably, people are confusing the two terms.

Advance Lane Guidance refers to the arrows in the left side of the status bar showing the direction of the lanes you should be taking.

Reality View refers to the static photos that may or may not appear in the top right of the screen supposedly depicting the actual lanes with the turn arrows on them. And you can have this option show or not show, depending upon your selection in Preferences.

I think, understandably, people are confusing the two terms.
Neither one show up in my area, and I have both set to be displayed. Again the only area close to me where they do show up is in the Washington, D.C. area around the I 95/495 interchanges. I've been all over Baltimore's highways and streets and they're not activated. I do believe this will cover more areas in future map releases. But not so many right now.
John

Ask a Question