TomTom Go730 wont stay connected to TomTom Services

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
My Go730 connects perfectly to my Nokia 6300. I can use the hands free phone without a worry. But when I try to use any of the TomTom services ie TomTom weather or TomTom buddies etc. the TomTom immediately locks up (for approx 10-15 seconds) then goes to a black screen and then re starts itself. I have noticed that my phone shows that it has connected to the TomTom but after 2 seconds states that it is disconnecting to the TomTom. I have reset the device but this does not fix the problem. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

What version of Navcore software is loaded to your device, tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box to diisplay this information, if its showing 8,351 which is the latest then this release is known for being buggy with the Bluetooth connections, one option is to roll back to 8,302 but then you are faced with other issues - check what version you have installed then we can look at what options are available - Mike

Thanks for the reply. I actually have the version 8.351. I know that it previously worked, so maybe this latest update has caused the problem. Any further ideas on how to fix the problem Mike ??

Last edited:
Make sure you have a full Windows Explorer backup of your device then download Navcore 8,302 by clicking Here
Use WinRar available from Here to extract all the files/ folders directly to the drive letter associated with your 730, with the slightly earlier Navcore installed you should find the Bluetooth more stable - Mike

Hi,

Im thinking of buying the G730 for my brother who has a Nokia 6300 also.

When a call comes in, does the G0 730 call out the name or display the callers name from the address book?

And what is the Traffic Management Channel like?

Lastly, what is the real world battery life like?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You get the callers details on screen, for contacts in the phone book once copied to the TomTom it will display the name or for other calls just the number.

I have no real knowledge of the USA based traffic service so it would be unfair to comment on this aspect.

Without the charger plugged in the device will run for around two hours off a fully charged battery, given time this will decrease as capacity is depleted. The device is supplied with a car charger cable and TomTom design the device to use the car charger cable, treat the battery as a means of powering the device up in the service station, office, home etc but it shouldn't be relied upon for prolonged use - Mike

The USA Tomtom TMC service is powered by clearchannel. See this link for a live view of their traffic reports.

In my experience the traffic service meets a typical person's needs on the highways. It typically is lagged by about 10 minutes vs the real traffic, but usually that's still pretty reliable. There's almost no coverage outside of highways. However, Tomtom has IQroutes which covers nearly 100% of all roads with historical traffic, so typical congestion is usually picked up on any road, the TMC just adds info for accidents and other unpredictable traffic.

Beware that the TMC traffic is an extra $60/year subscription on the 730.

In comparison, the Tomtom LIVE traffic is a much higher-end service: very little lag, and it covers many more roads. In a congested city the LIVE traffic is much more valuable than the TMC traffic. The big downside of LIVE traffic is that it is only offered on the 340 LIVE and 740 LIVE (which, despite it's numbering, functions more like a 340 with bluetooth). Other than traffic, the 740 is a lower-featured device than the 730.

Make sure you have a full Windows Explorer backup of your device then download Navcore 8,302 by clicking Here
Use WinRar available from Here to extract all the files/ folders directly to the drive letter associated with your 730, with the slightly earlier Navcore installed you should find the Bluetooth more stable - Mike
Running WinXP, which WinRAR should I use?

Ask a Question