SDHC Initialization with TomTom GO730

I have a new GO730 and am having a rough time getting the device to recognise a Kingston 16GB SDHC card. I have read a few of the threads and tried what was stated, but to no avail. Not only will the 730 not recognise that there is a card installed, when I go to Explorere on my computer (Tried 2, 1 a Windows XP, the other aWindows Vista, I keep getting a message that reads "Please insert a disk in drive X". I believe the problem is the 730 in that it ins't recognising the card bacause when I put it into the computer's card reader, no problem. I have formatted the card as FAT32. Any solutions?

Applications 8.3 and higher allow for the Go units to see (and use) sdhc cards of up to 32 gigs in size. If you don't have the application at that level (latest is 8.351) then get it and install. That should resolve the problem.

BUT.....if you already have that level, then:

With the card in the unit, try a pin reset on the 730. Does that help?

If not, since you can see the card in a card reader, install the application on the sdhc card. Then insert the card in the unit and boot up. TomTom's operating system is such that if it 'sees' the application on the card, it boots to the card first. So, with the application on the card, it may give the unit a 'kick start'.

Sorry..........to see the application version installed, tap the satellite bars. The next screen shows the app version.

Last edited:
Thanks. I checked the app version and it is the latest 8.351. I tried the reset and still an issue so next I will transfer the files as suggested when I get home from work. Thanks again.

Applications 8.3 and higher allow for the Go units to see (and use) sdhc cards of up to 32 gigs in size.
Not that he should be having problems with his current firmware version, but as I recall, the TT would successfully READ from the larger cards at 8.201 (and some prior), but were unable to successfully WRITE to them.

It bothers me greatly that his PC can see a FAT32 formatted card but the 730 cannot. I hope your suggestion about moving files over has some positive results.

Well, I did as suggested and placed all the files on the SDHC through the card reader. I installed the card in the 730 and it went to read the card and I thought it might have worked. No such luck, it still won't recognise it. I tried going back through the 730 with Windows explorer and again, it said to insert a disk into the drive. It weird, it canm see there is a disk there, but the 730 won't access it or let windows access it. Is it possible that because this is a new 730, TomTom may have changed something that cancelled the read access mentioned?

At this point I'm thinking of taking it back because I got this model for its abiulity to play MP3's, nothing was mentioned that it could only handle regular SD cards which means 4GB max. Hardly worth it to me with 14GB of music.:(

Where did you get the card from, if its not got the required read speed the TomTom will refuse to use it when the device boots up, although it will be available to write to when connected to the PC - 10MB/S is needed although I would have though SDGC cards would acheive this speed by default - Mike

Its's a 16 GB SDHC card from Kingston Technologies. Here is the specs from their website;

High-Speed Class Rating ? Class 2: 2 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate
Class 4: 4 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate
Class 6: 6 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate
Operating Temperature ? -13? F to 185? F (-25? C to 85 ? C)
Storage Temperature ? -40? F to 185? F (-40? C to 85? C)
Voltage ? 3.3v
Compliant ? with the SD Card Association card 2.00 specification
Secure ? built-in write-protect switch prevents accidental data loss
Compatible ? with SDHC host devices; not compatible with standard SD-enabled devices/readers
File Format ? SDHC File Format - FAT32 (only for capacities 4GB and above)

Its's a 16 GB SDHC card from Kingston Technologies. Here is the specs from their website;

High-Speed Class Rating — Class 2: 2 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate
Class 4: 4 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate
Class 6: 6 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate
Nice list, but I wonder ... which one is it? Or are they trying to say it's a Class 6 card which (by default) should manage Class 4 and Class 2?

Not that I think it will probably matter, but do you have a link to that site?

Interesting that your PCs card reader likes the card OK, but the 730 does not seem to.

Do you have another card (anything, 1GB, 2GB, whatever) that you can format and try on the 730 to assure that ITS card reader works?

Here is the site: Kingston Technology Company - Flash Memory - Secure Digital Cards - High-Capacity

I'm open to suggestions because i like the unit. As far as another card, I have tried a regular SD card 1GB and it works fine. I can't believe they would have a product that can't use the SDHC cards. It's not like they're brand new to the market.
Believe me, your TT model at your firmware level should handle SDHC. Many of us are doing it. My current card is an 8GB SDHC (traded up for the 4GB I was using before).

Am looking at your page, and it isn't specific to the card you bought. It just describes Kingston's entire range of SD ... from Class 2 on up to their high end products.

Just for grins, take a very close look at your card and see if you can identify the Class number. I've never tried anything less than a Class 4 (Sandisk Ultra II). I believe that some users here have had good success with Class 2 cards, but I have no personal experience with them, and TomTom's support site doesn't specify any minimum speed.

Last edited:
I might have missed it in the thread somewhere but where did you purchase this card? about 80% to 90% of cards on ebay are fakes/counterfeit. I don't think they would fake kingston brand sd cards though. It's usually the Sandisk Ultra and Extremes that they tend to fake. Many other high speed brands/cards are faked also. If you google counterfeit sd cards, you'll get tons of guides on how to spot fakes. CF cards are also always counterfeit.

I checked the card and it is a Class 4 (C with a 4 in it). I bought it at a store in original packaging and it works in all card readers tried so far, just not the 730. Quite frustrating though.

Given other members' success with large SDHC cards, your Tomtom reader may be defective.

I'd recommend trying your card on a display 730 in a store (eg put an mp3 folder on it and store a couple of songs). If the display 730 can read it, then send your Tomtom in for warranty exchange/repair.

Ask a Question