Tomtom Go 720 compatibility issues

Hi,

I've just purchased a GO 720 but both my Mac or PC won't detect it. Therefore I cannot update it or anything else. The PC tomtom software that came on a CD with the device fails to intall properly too, it gets so far then crashes every time. Upon installation on my Mac it is a little more successful however my Mac laptop still fails to detect the GO 720 when it is plugged in to the dock then into my Mac via USB.

I have tried resetting my tomtom and that hasn't solved the problem. I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice at all? Or know what may be causing the problem. If I can ascertain that it's faulty then I will have to take it back to where I bought it from.

Thanks.

Is the TomTom already up and running when you plug it into your Mac? I'm using HOME on a dual G5 and it works fine with my 920T as long as the GPS is already up and running.

I've tried every way I can think of. I've plugged in to the dock first then switched it on, then I tried it with it already switched on then plugged it in to the dock and the TomTom Home software on my Mac still continues to say:

"Please connect your TomTom device using a USB cable, and turn it on."

I can't get any further and am unable to get my Mac to communicate to the device.

I took the TomTom back to Halfords where I bought it (I live in the UK) and the staff refused to give me a replacement even though when they checked it on their PC the software failed to install fully (as it did with my PC) - basically after installation the software crashes every time. So I'm back to square one with it. I can't do anything with it on my Mac or PC and very unhappy about this. Is there anything I could possibly be doing wrong? The staff at Halfords told me to get authorisation from TomTom that the unit is actually faulty. I'm at a loss with this, any help/advice appreciated.

Hi, I had a similar issue with my 520, from the Uk also. The way I got it to work was to unplug the USB cable close the home software, then plug the tomtom into the dock and switch it on, then plug the USB cable stright into the PC and it should pick it up.

It took a couple of goes but it worked. Hope it does for you.

I had a problem with my 520, connecting to Windows XP. Turns out that two drives appear when it's connected (Internal and external memory). Unfortunately I have network drives connected to the drive letters that Windows helpfully allocated to the TomTom drives, so Home just wouldn't see it. I went into Computer Management, changed the drive letters TomTom was allocated and after a restart all was well.

Sounds like a different problem you have, but thought I'd say just in case.

Ask a Question