TomTom GO 550 LIVE... maps question.

TomTom Model(s)
GO 550 LIVE
Hello everyone,

My old TomTom GO 500 died recently after many years of faithful service, so I'm thinking of getting a new TomTom GO 550 LIVE to replace it. :D

I just had a quick technical question... The 550 comes with maps for just the United Kingdom, the 750 comes with maps for the UK and Europe, and the 950 comes with maps for UK, Europe, USA, and Canada. I read a review saying that the LIVE features on the 550 worked in the UK but would not work in outside of the UK. Is this merely because it does not have the map for these areas or even if you later bought a map upgrade to include further regions would the LIVE features only work in the UK?

The reason I ask, is that I am probably moving from the UK to the USA in about a year and would like to be able to use the LIVE features when I get there. However, money is a bit tight now, so I would prefer to buy the cheapest version of a GO LIVE system possible now - even if it means spending a bit more later to do the necessary map upgrades to get what I could have done at the start as part of a package.

I hope that wasn't too long-winded. :eek:

All the best,
Andrew.

There are no x50 LIVE models available in the States at this time (if ever) and only a 740LIVE and 340Live model.

That doesn't mean to say that any x50 model will for sure work even with the USA_Canada map that the 740 comes with. I would think it may be possible but remember, the rds-tmc antenna for Europe was not compatible with the rds-tmc antenna for North america and vice-versa so I couldn't guarantee that the internal modem of the x50 is the same as the x40 series.

Hopefully, UK based supermod, mikealder, will pop into this thread with further insight.

Or anyone else ......... :D

I would expect the 550 Live to work anywhere in Europe as long as it contains the correct map for the area involved and a current Live subscription all x50 devices were sold with Roaming enabled unlike the x40 series that needed an update to get pan European Roaming. Your device is fitted with a Micro SD card than can use any capacity up to and including 32GB although a 4GB card should be all you need - Mike

Thanks very much for getting back to me guys, I really appreciate it. :)

There are no x50 LIVE models available in the States at this time (if ever) and only a 740LIVE and 340Live model.

That doesn't mean to say that any x50 model will for sure work even with the USA_Canada map that the 740 comes with. I would think it may be possible but remember, the rds-tmc antenna for Europe was not compatible with the rds-tmc antenna for North america and vice-versa so I couldn't guarantee that the internal modem of the x50 is the same as the x40 series.

Hopefully, UK based supermod, mikealder, will pop into this thread with further insight.

Or anyone else ......... :D

I would expect the 550 Live to work anywhere in Europe as long as it contains the correct map for the area involved and a current Live subscription all x50 devices were sold with Roaming enabled unlike the x40 series that needed an update to get pan European Roaming. Your device is fitted with a Micro SD card than can use any capacity up to and including 32GB although a 4GB card should be all you need - Mike

Sounds good on the European front Mike. What are your thoughts on the chances that a GO 550 LIVE purchased in the UK would subsequently work (including LIVE services) in the United States once a USA Map is purchased and installed?

I'm hoping to nip out to the store in about 2 hours to go buy one, but am still confused between the GO 550 LIVE and the GO 950 LIVE... or whether the LIVE services will work at all in the USA. As I'm relocating there in the next year, it'd be good to know for making the decision.

If the LIVE services won't work in the States... what recommendations for TomTom model would you have for me? I'd like to get another TomTom that'll last me for 5 years like my previous GO 500 did. :)

All the best,
Andrew.

Just to clarify again... I don't mind buying a GO 550 LIVE now, and paying more later for a USA Map providing the LIVE services will work in the USA once I've got the correct regional map. If the LIVE services will work in the USA with a GO 950 LIVE but not with a GO 550 LIVE that has the correct USA map installed, then that's an important thing to know in advance. :)

Money is a little tight now, but won't be in 12 months or so. :eek:

All the best,
Andrew.

Andrew from what I have seen posted by UK users using a Live device while holidaying in the USA the Live services do work but remember you won't get Live HD Traffic as thats not available in the USA.

To be honest I think your best approach would be to purchase an XL IQ Live (make sure its NOT the newer XL-2 IQ Live as they are crap) then sell it just before leaving the UK and purchase a newer device in America when you get over there, this will give you a guarantee that you get a fully working system in the UK followed by a fully working (newer) device when in the USA, lets face it in 12 months there will be completetly new models available to consider as options - Mike

I did consider an IQ unit, but I really would like to have my TomTom double as my hands-free kit when in the car. I think based on that information, I'll probably go for the TomTom GO 550 LIVE and then either sell it when I leave the UK (and get something newer) or simply upgrade it to a US map and accept that some of the LIVE services won't work.

Thanks very much for your help. I'm heading into the shop now to have a look at the system in person - providing there's nothing really surprising about it, I'll probably get it today.

I'll pop back in here to let you know. ;) :D

All the best,
Andrew.

First thing to do with your new toy is a full Windows Explorer back up, then you can let the TomTom Home software check for updates, DO NOT let it update the map using Latest Map Guarantee (LMG) as a newer map will be released very soon (days or maybe a week or so), You have 28 days from the date of purchase in which to use LMG so you might as well wait a while to get the newer map when it comes out - Mike

First thing to do with your new toy is a full Windows Explorer back up, then you can let the TomTom Home software check for updates, DO NOT let it update the map using Latest Map Guarantee (LMG) as a newer map will be released very soon (days or maybe a week or so), You have 28 days from the date of purchase in which to use LMG so you might as well wait a while to get the newer map when it comes out - Mike

Thanks very much Mike - I'll do exactly that. :D

I went out to buy the TomTom GO 550 LIVE and a case but the prices in store were different to the online reservation quote. So had to nip home to do the online reservation bit then go back to the same store to pay and pick it up. A bit nuts, but the 10 minute trip saves me a fair bit.

Right... I'm off again: buying a new TomTom, take 2. ;)

All the best,
Andrew.

PS:
Interestingly, the sales girl at the shop told me that a lot of people who buy the Navman or Garmin models end up returning after a few months to get the TomTom unit instead. Thought you might like to know that they're recommending the TomTom above all other brands. :)

I take it you are in Halfords then due to the different price online vs in store, you should have an internet enabled phone as its a great prank to try when they refuse to honour the lower price simply reserve it on line via the phone in the store - generally acts as a good wind up! - Mike

I take it you are in Halfords then due to the different price online vs in store, you should have an internet enabled phone as its a great prank to try when they refuse to honour the lower price simply reserve it on line via the phone in the store - generally acts as a good wind up! - Mike

lol - that would have been good.

Unfortunately, I have a pretty old phone. Having a cutting edge phone just isn't one of life's priorities for me.

I'll have to get my kicks from my brand new TomTom GO 550 LIVE instead! :D :D :D

Just finished doing a Windows Explorer backup, then doing a backup with TomTom home, downloaded some updates, now doing another TomTom home backup. I'll do the Latest Map Guarantee thing when I find out on here that a new map has been released. :)

Thanks again for all the help Mike, I really appreciate it.

All the best,
Andrew.

I'll do the Latest Map Guarantee thing when I find out on here that a new map has been released.
Good idea but when the new v850 maps are released leave your LMG update for around three days as it can take time for the new map to be applied to the LMG offer, as you have a Windows Explorer back up on the PC I would consider burning it to either a CD or DVD just in case the PC packs up, its rare for the double failure (PC and Nav unit but its not unheard of) - Was I right with the store you were in per chance?? - Mike

Good idea but when the new v850 maps are released leave your LMG update for around three days as it can take time for the new map to be applied to the LMG offer, as you have a Windows Explorer back up on the PC I would consider burning it to either a CD or DVD just in case the PC packs up, its rare for the double failure (PC and Nav unit but its not unheard of)

OK, will do - on both counts. :)

Was I right with the store you were in per chance?? - Mike

Spot on. ;)

All the best,
Andrew.

You are wasting your time doing a Home backup, especially when you said you did a Home backup, did updates and did another Home backup. Well, the second Home backup wipes out the first!

Do yourself a big favour and always use Explorer for your backups (and restores, if necessary).

The one shot Day 01 back up via Windows Explorer is all that counts, everything else is recoverable so I guess the useless Home application could be relied on (I wouldn't trust it though) - Mike

TomTom GO 550 LIVE... first thoughts.

You are wasting your time doing a Home backup, especially when you said you did a Home backup, did updates and did another Home backup. Well, the second Home backup wipes out the first!

Do yourself a big favour and always use Explorer for your backups (and restores, if necessary).

The one shot Day 01 back up via Windows Explorer is all that counts, everything else is recoverable so I guess the useless Home application could be relied on (I wouldn't trust it though) - Mike

Oh, I didn't know that. Well, I did exactly as Mike advised and performed a Windows Explorer backup before I did anything else, so I suppose I'm ok.

I took my new TomTom out for a bit of exercise today to see what local info it had stored in it. I had previously downloaded and installed a user-created safety camera locations list on my old TomTom GO 500, and there were quite a few locations the TomTom GO 550 LIVE didn't know about... so got to use the 'new location' feature for the cameras which was pretty cool and it remembered where they all were for the return trip.

I'm very impressed with this system, it's really very good - it tracked us perfectly even under bridges and near tall buildings where my old system would always lose the satellite signal. It's taking a bit of time to get the preferences set up how I like, but that's to be expected with a completely new system. I also love how clear the audio is as a hands-free kit and how slim the unit is in the pocket - my old GO 500 was comparatively quite bulky for carrying around. One thing I thought was a fun novelty is the voice command feature... I've not quite got it figured out just yet, but my wife discovered that it understands commands better if you sing instructions at it rather than talk normally. Unless I can learn to be consistent, I can't see me using that much... it's far quicker and less distracting to just use the touch screen. :eek:

Well, I should turn in for the night, it's getting a bit late now. Goodnight everyone, sleep well! :D

All the best,
Andrew.

Ask a Question