tomtom 550 live

i have a 550 live and for some reason my safety cameras are displaying kilometres instead of mph i have checked settings and evertything is mph please someone any ideas

Welcome to the forum, this is a known issue that will be solved with a new release of the software for your device at some future point, although I have no idea as to the time scales involved - Mike

tom tom 550 live

I also have a new 550 live-there doesn't appear to be a separate forum yet and I can't seem to find out how to start a new thread. I have several queries:-
1. I previously had a 720 which is registered in my account in Tom Tom Home. How do I replace it with my new 550? I get a message that I need to wait 6 months!
2. Can I transfer voices purchased for the 720 to my 550?
3. What type of micro card do I need for my 550, what speed?
4. My 550 does not warn me of speed cameras which my 720 did.
5. Do i need a compatible mobile phone to access Tom Tom services and Live services as I did with the 720?

Why is the time shown as the time of the post not UK time?

Last edited:
I also have a new 550 live-there doesn't appear to be a separate forum yet and I can't seem to find out how to start a new thread. I have several queries:-
1. I previously had a 720 which is registered in my account in Tom Tom Home. How do I replace it with my new 550? I get a message that I need to wait 6 months!
2. Can I transfer voices purchased for the 720 to my 550?
3. What type of micro card do I need for my 550, what speed?
4. My 550 does not warn me of speed cameras which my 720 did.
5. Do i need a compatible mobile phone to access Tom Tom services and Live services as I did with the 720?

Why is the time shown as the time of the post not UK time?

1. Register with a new email/password at TomTom. It doesn't even have to be a real email address, just in the proper format.
2. Good question. I would think so. Give it a shot using Explorer. Remember, you can get a bunch of free voices as well using Home and some web sites.
3. I believe the x50 series can take a 4 gig sd card, faster the better.
4. Look for supermod, Mikealder to answer this one for you.
5. I would think so. Again, Mike will know.

This is a US based forum. Hence, the time showing. But you can go into your User CP (top of screen, left tab) Edit Options (left side) and scroll down to adjust the time zone to your liking.

And welcome to TTF.

1/ Phone TomTom support on 0845 161 0009 but the best approach to a new device is to register it using a unique e-mail address, it doesn't need to be an actual working e-mail adrress just something in the e-mail format.
2/ Again TomTom will have to do this as the voices are locked to the device they were purchased for in the same way as maps are activated.
3/ An x50 uses Micro SD cards which can be anything up to and including 32GB in capacity, the TomTom web site is both incorrect and miss leading when it comes to memory card support for these devices.
4/ Go to Live Services/ Safety alerts and configure the warnings from there.
5/ You don't need a mobile phones data connection to access the Live services as the device has a built in SIM card and GPRS modem - Mike

Thanks for that. I have managed to get almost everything connected and running Ok, even somehow got my Homer Simpson voice back but not my John Cleese. One exception is Safety Cameras which not do not alert me to a regular camera I pass which my GO 720 did bleep me. I have gone in via Tom Tom services, then Safety Alerts then Enable Alerts which shows in colour with a green tick. There is also an message that last mobile safety alert was 6 hours ago. The 3 other options are greyed out.unless I disable alerts. Do I need to disable alerts then click change warning prefs, then select all the warnings I need with their sounds, then enable alerts again?

Don't rely upon the TomTom database for mobile camera locations as its coverage is dire, there are other suppliers of better databases out there, for UK use look at the offering from PocketGPSWorld.com as its considerably better - Mike

i have a 550 live and for some reason my safety cameras are displaying kilometres instead of mph i have checked settings and evertything is mph please someone any ideas

It appears that app 9.026 was just released, another member said it fixed the safety camera mph issue.

Ask a Question