TomTom Go 510 help

Hello all, new to this forum. I've had this TomTom Go 510 for quite a while and it's beginning to give me problems. I got this white screen of death and it will not reset with a hard reset. Any advice as to fixing this? Thank you all very much for any help that you can provide.
Regards

Did you mean the pin reset? Alos, when you connect it to your computer, can you see the unit in windows explorer? If not, you may be out of luck, but it would not hurt to call TT support in any case.

if you can access your unit on the computer, that will open a lot more possibilities in fixing the unit.

Thank you so very much for both of your advise. I never thought to hook it up to the pc. :eek: I will do this when I get home from work. :D

A very good morning to the tomtomforums community.

:::Follow up:::

So I get home last night and connect it to the via the tomtom dock and my computer recognized my 510. I then browsed its contents via explorer. I did not have home installed since I had to recently reinstall my windows, but I reinstalled it. Home recognizes it, but won't let me browse it.

I also took it off the cradle and turned it on, but it immediately died flashing the battery. This leads me to believe that the battery and the car dock are the culprits. Am I wrong in assuming this? Or is it the 510 not connecting right, so it won't charge correctly?

If it is the battery, what is the difficulty of replacing this battery? And is it even worth replacing? I am mechanically inclined and it looks like it won't be a problem.

As always, I am most grateful for any, and all, advise towards my problem.

The battery issue is covered in the other post. As for the car mount, they have been a problem. Make sure it is not making contact with anything, as the contacts are the problem. if it will not work, get a replacement dock.

Replacement car docks are available - possibly free from TomTom. - check with them first. Third party vendors carry them also - Google it.

In windows explorer, if you see your device - can you explore it? If so, make a copy (with hidden files and folders set to show).

Did you leave it on the home dock for a few hours before you removed it? It was probably totally discharged when you brought it in, as your car mount would not have been charging it. If not - try that - you may not really need a battery yet.

The battery issue is covered in the other post. As for the car mount, they have been a problem. Make sure it is not making contact with anything, as the contacts are the problem. if it will not work, get a replacement dock.

Replacement car docks are available - possibly free from TomTom. - check with them first. Third party vendors carry them also - Google it.

In windows explorer, if you see your device - can you explore it? If so, make a copy (with hidden files and folders set to show).

Did you leave it on the home dock for a few hours before you removed it? It was probably totally discharged when you brought it in, as your car mount would not have been charging it. If not - try that - you may not really need a battery yet.

Yeah...my car mount has been a nightmare ever since buying the 510...there have been many times that I was ready to throw that mount out the window. :D I will definitely be calling TomTom tonight.

I didn't move anything around on my TomTom last night, but was able to view all. I will do that tonight though. In the past I've created back ups, should I revert to them?

Regarding the battery issue, I let it charge from 6PM last night until approximately 7AM today.

So the battery is bad....

The windows explorer backups are a safer route then the Home backups. If necessary, you can easily reformat your device and copy and paste the windows copy to it - have done it several times with 910's.

So the battery is bad....

The windows explorer backups are a safer route then the Home backups. If necessary, you can easily reformat your device and copy and paste the windows copy to it - have done it several times with 910's.

Many thanks GAW! I will do the easier method of backing up through windows tonight. You truly are an asset to this community.

Another update on my 510 issue:

When I got home last night, I was starting to prepare for a battery replacement...I backed up the entire SD and removed my TomTom from the desktop charger. I once again tried to get it to turn on and viola! It turned on! I am beginning to think that the unit is the problem with its contacts.

After getting my unit on, it was showing the insert sd card visual, which did happen to me when I first purchased this unit. So I reformatted it and tried again, still no luck. Tried a new card and it worked.

Ask a Question