Tomtom 920 vs Garmin 760

In Europe the 920 gives the speed limit of all major and some minor roads.

Yes, it's an interesting feature that's set under Safety Preferences. Although I've yet to hear it bleep at me! Clearly I'm a safety conscience driver - or just lucky! :D

Yes, it's an interesting feature that's set under Safety Preferences. Although I've yet to hear it bleep at me! Clearly I'm a safety conscience driver - or just lucky! :D

It does not bleep it bongs for me.

It also flashes red when 5kph over the speed limit. No biggie, as we get a 10kph allowance over the limit on the highway!

It does not bleep it bongs for me.

It also flashes red when 5kph over the speed limit. No biggie, as we get a 10kph allowance over the limit on the highway!

Wish I'd had one in the car in 2005 when I passed from Yosemite to Fresno - might have saved me $200 in fines :(

I was so happy coming out from twisty non-overtaking roads that I floored the car at the first opportunity straight in front of a Cal HP ... arghhhhh. And he'd had a humour bypass at some stage. :)

Last edited:
after 2 weeks with my 920, I prefer my Garmin SP 2610. I still think the ease of use, and routing is better. I would and may return my GO 920 for the 760. Just my personal preference. :confused:

Be warned, the 760 is not the same as the SP 2620.

It has been really dumbed down.

Good device, but a bit bland.

Hehehehe

I get the same reaction from mine!

Why cant they understand that these are our toys???
Are we into jewelry??? NOOOO, so why cant we be allowed to have a few gadgets??:D

after 2 weeks with my 920, I prefer my Garmin SP 2610. I still think the ease of use, and routing is better. I would and may return my GO 920 for the 760. Just my personal preference. :confused:

I would agree. In my experience, and after many direct parallel runs with Garmin and TT devices (lower-end devices, admittedly, but I believe the routing engines are the same across each range), the Garmin offers by far the better (quicker) routes - at least up here in the NE.

The maps detail is important, but the routing algorithms are just as important (unless you really don't care if the proposed route is 30-50% longer than some competitors devices can provide), IMO.

NOTE: I wouldn't even bother to hang around the TT forums and continue to use the TT, except that I really, really love the TT UI and features. Just wish the damned thing would give me the Garmin routes!

Last edited:
ONE v2 vs Nuvi 660

I would agree. In my experience, and after many direct parallel runs with Garmin and TT devices (lower-end devices, admittedly, but I believe the routing engines are the same across each range), the Garmin offers by far the better (quicker) routes - at least up here in the NE.

The maps detail is important, but the routing algorithms are just as important (unless you really don't care if the proposed route is 30-50% longer than some competitors devices can provide), IMO.

NOTE: I wouldn't even bother to hang around the TT forums and continue to use the TT, except that I really, really love the TT UI and features. Just wish the damned thing would give me the Garmin routes!

Last night, I put my ONE head to head with a co-workers Garmin. We were in the same location, and navigating to the same address. Both were set to "fastest" route. My ONE smoked the Nuvi by several minutes! :cool:
The routes were pretty different, and my route was much better than what the Nuvi chose. Next, he set the Garmin to "shortest" route, and it chose the same route as my ONE. I tried setting mine to shortest, and it chose the same route as fastest. Tom Tom wins in my book! :cool:

GPS navigators were reviewed this month (Feb 2008) in Consumer Reports. Garmin beat out TomTom but only slightly. TomTom's consistent weak area is that %#$! suction cup, otherwise I think it would be a tie. I found a much better deal for the TomTom 920 online so guess which way I went...

GPS navigators were reviewed this month (Feb 2008) in Consumer Reports. Garmin beat out TomTom but only slightly. TomTom's consistent weak area is that %#$! suction cup, otherwise I think it would be a tie. I found a much better deal for the TomTom 920 online so guess which way I went...
I have been using saliva on the suction cup with 100% success! :p

Old test republished. They talked about antiques (910, 510) - I own one (510).:D

Also a *good* mounting system like Garmin's AND the ability to power on when the car's ignition is turned on and power off when the car is turned off.

gamrin 760 vs TomTom 920

My only wish is that the TOMTOM had an interated Power /Traffic receiver like Garmin. TOMTOM maps and routing are so much better than Garmin, it is so sad that Garmin has not kept up .

Ask a Question