TomTom GO 920 won't boot after updating it

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 920
[URGENT] TomTom GO 920 won't boot after updating it

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I had to register because we have had an issue with our TomTom GO 920.

Tomorrow we are doing an almost 2000KM car trip from Germany to Spain, and we decided to do one of those anual updates we had purchased long ago.

After updating our TomTom GO 920 (I reckon our last update was December 2011), it simply won't boot at all, it stays at the boot screen with the image at the beach...

I have tried to use the device from TomTom HOME, but as soon as it starts loading (Black screen with TomTom Logo) the software TomTom HOME stops working and I have to close it.

This is giving us a huge headache, we have tried several computers with the same issue, we even tried using the reset button on the bottom of the device, and all it does is turn it off and start a neverending loop where it tries to boot and restarts a few times.

We have even tried restoring to an older backup copy we had, but it won't detect our device, it starts "scanning devices" and it can stay there for hours...

I'd appreciate some help here as within 24 hours we are doing a very long trip and we really need this GPS to work, it all worked fine until we updated it today. :(

Thank you.
Kevin.

First, download the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller from here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html and completely uninstall Home 2. Then get a fresh copy from here: tomtom.com/home and install it.

Connect to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my unit). Plan a trip. Once it's done, disconnect the unit from Home properly using the Device Disconnect icon. See if that helps.

First, download the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller from here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html and completely uninstall Home 2. Then get a fresh copy from here: tomtom.com/home and install it.

Connect to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my unit). Plan a trip. Once it's done, disconnect the unit from Home properly using the Device Disconnect icon. See if that helps.

Hello,

I already did that, and this is what I get:

XzIGH.png

I have tried on other computers (With Windows XP, and Windows Vista, this one is Windows 7) and all have the same issue.

I can't boot the GPS unit at all, wether it's connected to it's charging dock on the computer or without any cables connected, it gets stuck at the beach logo and then turns off like a minute later...

Did the update break my TomTom GO 920? :mad:

I also tried several times after that, and the TomTom HOme stops working...

Can't operate my device through TomTom HOME, and I can't operate it through the device it's self either, so right now I have an expensive paper weight... :(

Please help.

Try the reset button inside the small hole on the bottom of your 920. Depress gently with the end of a paperclip or similar.

When you did the "restore", had you done the original backup with Windows or did you use Home to do the backup?

Problem is fgixed for now.

We just formatted the device on Windows (Sounds crazy :D) and manually restored file by file a backup we had done few months ago (It wouldn't let us copy everything, so we had to do file by file. :lol:).

Then it finally worked and we updated it again, it's all good now. :thumb:

Indeed, if you have a reliable backup, we have been known to recommend a full FAT32 format of these devices, and a restore of a good backup afterward.

Why did the update ruin our device at first? All we did is update it through TomTom Home.

We will keep this in mind, will save that good backup in a couple of places in case I ever need it again. :D

It is possible that you received an errant update. However, this new firmware ALSO requires a new version of Home to work with it if you want to "Operate my GO" using Home. Check to see if you can get Home update to the current level (I think it is 2.8.3.2499) first.

And yes, always be sure you have a good backup before updates are applied. We recommend not using Home, but rather, this method, since it does not even require Home to work in order to restore your unit
==> https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-restore.html

Ask a Question