Tomtom 920 vs Garmin 760

I got to play with the 920T and Nuvi 760 yesterday and today at Circuit City. I'm pretty disappointed that TomTom still hasn't worked out how to get CDMA (Sprint & Verizon) phones to work with their Plus services.

Who cares about CDMA.:) The whole world goes GSM.

here's one more thought..

how detailed can Tom Tom maps (telenav) be really ? by including all usa, canada, and europe ?

The 920 has all these maps, that's why the built-in capacity is 4 GB. The basic US and Canada just fits on 1 GB memory. Are you trying to make a correlation that they sacrificed map detail in order to get all maps to fit on the device? Not true at all. (Not sure how the TT map size compares to Garmin units)

For those that have the 920, mine is not here yet, are the europe maps in separate files? I would assume so but just wanted to double check.

North-America, Western-and-Central-Europe are all DETAILED maps, and take around 1.5G each, that's why the 920 has 4G memory.

The only advantages the Nuvi has:

- The Nuvi has a microphone input.
- The way the high end Nuvis mount is very nice. All cables connect to the car mount and the Nuvi docks into the mount so when you take the Nuvi with you, you don't have to unplug all the cables.
- The Nuvi has that handy "Where's my car feature".
- The Nuvi is compatible with SDHC cards.

TT's equivalent is Navigate to... Last docked.

Navigate to... give you the following options; home, favorite , address, recent destination, point of interest, point on map, lat & long, last docked. If you are subscribed to TT buddy then it's also an option. One other option which is grayed out is "my location" (of course no point in routing you where you already are).

The 920 has all these maps, that's why the built-in capacity is 4 GB. The basic US and Canada just fits on 1 GB memory. Are you trying to make a correlation that they sacrificed map detail in order to get all maps to fit on the device? Not true at all. (Not sure how the TT map size compares to Garmin units)

Yes I want to know if TomTom are skimming on waypoints, poi, detailed streets. I'd rather have a one complete crazied out detailed map of North America versus a basic one including only majors on NA and europe. I mean rural , sideroad finds.

I read a review earlier that stated the Garmin 760 displays the current speed limit of whatever road you are currently on in your travel. Very cool feature, although a minor one that certainly wouldn't push me one direction or the other. Like a couple of you, I too am considering a TT 920 or Garmin 760. I have done a lot of reading of reviews and what it comes down to for me is that I really like the feature set of the TomTom 920, however, I'm concerned about the routing. I currently have a Garmin c340 and have been fairly happy with it.

However, its routes aren't always spot on and I certainly don't want anything that is worse. Features are nice (like what the TomTom 920 has), however, if the routing is mediocre and mapping isn't as accurate as what I currently have then the features don't mean much.

Just my 2 cents as I'm trying to figure out what direction to take. I'm actually now considering just holding onto my Garmin c340 for 6-12 more months and just wait to see what else comes out on the market since I'm really in no hurry to buy.

I read a review earlier that stated the Garmin 760 displays the current speed limit of whatever road you are currently on in your travel. Very cool feature, although a minor one that certainly wouldn't push me one direction or the other. Like a couple of you, I too am considering a TT 920 or Garmin 760. I have done a lot of reading of reviews and what it comes down to for me is that I really like the feature set of the TomTom 920, however, I'm concerned about the routing. I currently have a Garmin c340 and have been fairly happy with it.

However, its routes aren't always spot on and I certainly don't want anything that is worse. Features are nice (like what the TomTom 920 has), however, if the routing is mediocre and mapping isn't as accurate as what I currently have then the features don't mean much.

Just my 2 cents as I'm trying to figure out what direction to take. I'm actually now considering just holding onto my Garmin c340 for 6-12 more months and just wait to see what else comes out on the market since I'm really in no hurry to buy.

It only displays the speed limit of major highways you're traveling on, not whatever road you are currently on.

Plus works with Sprint + Sanyo 8400

I got to play with the 920T and Nuvi 760 yesterday and today at Circuit City. I'm pretty disappointed that TomTom still hasn't worked out how to get CDMA (Sprint & Verizon) phones to work with their Plus services. They're trying to sell their Plus service in the US where a majority of cell phone users are on CDMA networks.

I tried for at least an hour to get my Sprint Treo 755P to work with Plus. I got it working pretty well with the bluetooth hands-free part.

===

I have the Plus service working fine with Sprint + Sanyo 8400. First I paired the phone to the GPS. That was easy. Then I got prompted to configure the phone with TT Plus. Try this:

FOR SPRINTPCS, must have data plan or a per-use data plan

A) confirm you have a data plan with Sprintpcs
B) pair the TomTom with your phone bluetooth wise
C) follow the following

1. Phone selection - other
2. Carrier selection - other
3. Country - UNITED STATES
4. Access point - blank
5. username - blank
6. password - blank
7. number to dial - #777 (delete what this window shows on the tomtom and put the #777 in)
7.use DHCP auto
8. DNS auto
9. No scripts - left blank for logon script

I 100% agree in relation to the TT. CDMA is not a "world" standard and TT will not invest on developing something for a "small" market segment. Well Japan and Korea also don't use GSM.

I don't understand your comment at all... first TT works fine with CDMA. Second, the US is a pretty big market.

I am consider to buy a GPS, after reading the review for both unit I am confused which unit should I buy, Please help me make a decision, I am currently owned Tomtom 700, I liked it very much

Good choice, but only if you don't need to contact TomTom Support. I was on hold over an hour times three without ever speaking to a human!

===

I have the Plus service working fine with Sprint + Sanyo 8400. First I paired the phone to the GPS. That was easy. Then I got prompted to configure the phone with TT Plus. Try this:

FOR SPRINTPCS, must have data plan or a per-use data plan

A) confirm you have a data plan with Sprintpcs
B) pair the TomTom with your phone bluetooth wise
C) follow the following

1. Phone selection - other
2. Carrier selection - other
3. Country - UNITED STATES
4. Access point - blank
5. username - blank
6. password - blank
7. number to dial - #777 (delete what this window shows on the tomtom and put the #777 in)
7.use DHCP auto
8. DNS auto
9. No scripts - left blank for logon script

I finally got it working. I followed all of your instructions and it wouldn't work. What I had to do was log in to my Sprint account online and get my actual PowerVision username and password. I put those into their respective fields in the GO 920 in the PLUS setup and got the PLUS services working very well.

Ask a Question