TomTom 730 vs 740 Clarification

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 740 LIVE
OK, so forgive me for being ignorant, but I want to make sure I get what I want from the start. I understand that the TomTom 740 LIVE LOOSES the FM Transmitter and Media Player. I don't have an iPod (and probably never will), so the media player "MAY" not be that big of a deal.

As for the FM Transmitter - can someone explain a little more to me what this is for TOMTOM. I understand the concept of a FM Transmitter -- Play Audio Wirelessly through a pre-defined radio station. My question is, what is exactly playing? Can I listen to my radio and then when TomTom has a command, it interrupts my signal and plays through my speakers??? Another concern, I have a external XM Radio with a FM Transmitter, so will TomTom be strong enough to over-power that signal?

Back to loosing the MediaPlayer - correct me if I am wrong, but if I can load TomTom Player, how am I really loosing anything?

Thanks everyone for helping - I am not an idiot when it comes to these things, just confused. And one never know if they will truly MISS the things that are noted as being gone, its just the idea of it makes you second guess yourself... for me at least

Jon

The TomTom plays instructions and/or music via the FM transmitter on an unused FM radio frequency you select. I've tried before and the TomTom isn't strong enough to really overpower a regular FM station on certain radios but there have been occasions where my sister has been taking a shower while listening to the radio, and then I go and play some barney song and it actually makes it to her radio. It cuts out her loud rock song. I have not attempted this in my car since I always just choose an unused FM station.

OK, so forgive me for being ignorant, but I want to make sure I get what I want from the start. I understand that the TomTom 740 LIVE LOOSES the FM Transmitter and Media Player. I don't have an iPod (and probably never will), so the media player "MAY" not be that big of a deal.
You also lose the "line out" or "aux" output. That *could* be used to drive audio to your auto sound system rather than the internal FM transmitter -- more on that item below:

As for the FM Transmitter - can someone explain a little more to me what this is for TOMTOM. I understand the concept of a FM Transmitter -- Play Audio Wirelessly through a pre-defined radio station. My question is, what is exactly playing? Can I listen to my radio and then when TomTom has a command, it interrupts my signal and plays through my speakers??? Another concern, I have a external XM Radio with a FM Transmitter, so will TomTom be strong enough to over-power that signal?
TomTom has been fiddling around with their FM transmitter over the last couple of firmware versions. WAY to long a story to repeat as to why they did this. Suffice it to say, the transmitter on the 730 will only provide audio instructions if there is already an audio selection (mp3 music, a talking book, or an mp3 file full of SILENCE), and the transmitter power isn't as strong as it might be. I never did get great results from the internal FM transmitter on my GO 720, and opted instead for a different solution (see below).

Back to loosing the MediaPlayer - correct me if I am wrong, but if I can load TomTom Player, how am I really loosing anything?
For most applications, you don't. There was a time when most of the 3rd party applications were broken by TomTom firmware changes. If you're lucky, that won't happen again and you won't have to wait for the 3rd party developers to figure out what they need to do to get their software compatible again.

As I say, I gave up on the internal FM transmitter when I changed cars recently. The one vehicle has the antenna mounted topside, rear of the roof. Too much tin between it and the TomTom to make a decent RF connection there.

So I purchased a device that is also an FM modulator, but injects its signal directly into the antenna feed of the vehicle radio. This avoids any issues of whether the signal is strong enough to do a decent job and avoids issues of overcoming interference from broadcast FM stations.

It does require a switch since it really does isolate the AM and FM (but not XM) section of the radio from the antenna, which is how it avoids that interference. I replaced the two RCA connections with a single 1/8" stereo jack, and I can attach just about anything I like ... TomTom, mp3 player, scanner, whatever.

Here's the one I chose:

Amazon.com: Movies 2 Go FM100A FM Modulator with IST2 Isolation Transformer (Grey): Electronics

It can be had a bit cheaper from a couple of other sources as well.

HOWEVER - this arrangement requires that the TomTom still have the 1/8" line level output that the 740 lacks. As I noted before, that would be a deal-breaker for me, and now you can see why. Because the 740 loses BOTH the FM transmitter AND the 1/8" line-out output, you're pretty well stuck with the internal speaker for audio.

You can add the line out socket to the x40 range by purchasing the accessory dock in either Windscreen suction mount or Brodit style, this adds further cost to the purchase though to gain access to what is readily available on the x20 and x30 devices.

An FM modulator with combined Issolation transformer is a great way to use the line-out and avoid interference from other radio stations, for the very best wireless solution the Bluetooth A2DP profile can be used IF the car supports it, this offers a much better sound quality with no interference and no wires, but finding a car kit capable of using the TomTom A2DP can be "fun"

If you really think you will use the Live services then the 740 is a good choice, if you are thinking of getting it and letting the monthly subscription lapse then go for a 730, only the x40 mount is a better solution than the x20/ x30 ranges, but a 740 devoid of Live services is an inferiour product to the 730 IMHO - Mike

I have my TomPlayer installed on the internal memory while I have my TomTom software on an SD card. Here's a youtube video I recorded 4 months ago as an example on how I have my setup.

YouTube - Tomplayer and TomTom NavCore

^^^^^The way i have TomPlayer installed^^^^^

YouTube - TomTom 720 FM Transmitter Test in the Pathfinder

^^^^^^My FM transmitter in action in my Pathfinder^^^^^^

YouTube - TomTom 720 FM Transmitter Test in the Murano

^^^^^^My FM transmitter in action in my Murano^^^^^^

YouTube - TomTom 720 FM Transmitter Test in the Civic

^^^^^^My FM transmitter in action in my Civic^^^^^^

You can add the line out socket to the x40 range by purchasing the accessory dock in either Windscreen suction mount or Brodit style, this adds further cost to the purchase though to gain access to what is readily available on the x20 and x30 devices.
Now that's interesting. Did not realize that line level output came with this. All the functionality info says for that accessory on the U.S. accessories page is that you get the iPod connection. Perhaps we're being supplied different parts on opposite sides of the Atlantic. Certainly wouldn't be the first time!

• Includes car charger.
  • For easy installation of your TomTom GO in a second vehicle
  • Includes iPod? connections to stream your music over your TomTom

If you've got a URL handy that I could use to point folks to this item, that would be helpful, especially if we can get them here somehow. We don't "see" the 940 section at all here yet, so if it's only in that accessory list, that would explain why I've missed it.

Here is something I posted a while back on the other side of the pond, you might need to select UK/ Europe when using the TomTom site for accessories as they tend to be location specific, but the mount detailed below (before I changed my car and stereo system that connects to the TomTom) should be easily found if you select UK as location - no idea why these parts shouldn't be available in the USA though as the device that sits on them is the same. Please bear in mind the following is European based and therefore when mentioning Free RDS-TMC this is not the case in the USA as I understand it.

The mount supplied with the x40 devices is basic in terms of connectivity, the new accessory mount offers additional ports for use with either the RDS-TMC receiver or iPOD, a line out socket and of course the power input. The mini USB power input can also be used with the newer style of RDS-TMC receiver should that be needed.

Why should you want to couple the RDS-TMC to a device that is equipped with its own Live system? Well not everyone is going to want to pay the monthly charge and if you travel in Europe with a UK sourced device the Live services won?t work whilst overseas.

Lets have a quick look at the new mount:

Front:

From the front you can see the device electrical connector and the release lever/ locking mechanism that secures the x40 in place on the mount.

Rear:

From the rear are the external electrical connectors, to the left is the mini USB power/ RDS-TMC socket, this will work with the newer RDS-TMC receiver that utilises the Mini USB socket.
On the right are two sockets, the first is for either the older style RDS-TMC receiver or the iPOD accessory cable. The socket on the far right is the 3,5MM stereo line output socket.

Note there is no suction cup to attach the mount to the windscreen, which is a welcome addition to the range, no more sucker marks to clean, and for some USA residents this offers a legal solution other than a bean bag style holder.

To attach the mount to the vehicle you will need something like a Brodit Pro Clip, these are made to fit a huge array of different makes and models of vehicles, often different locations within the same vehicle are available for choice.

You can order the Pro-Clip to match your vehicle at the same time as the mount by following the mount selector on This Page, or go to DSL Developments web site Here If you find neither site offers the Pro-Clip to match your vehicle then go direct to the Brodit web site and try there for a far more comprehensive selection Here.

Just to illustrate this point the Pro-Clip I used to mount the 940 in my vehicle wasn?t listed on either the TomTom or DSL web site but it is available from Brodit.

The Brodit Pro-Clip will attach securely to the vehicle requiring no holes to be drilled in the vehicles trim, they are also removable leaving no traces of where they were fitted (important in the case of company cars etc).

The Accessory mount simply screws to the Pro-clip using four self tapping screws, or you have the option to use the Brodit Mini Move it clip which attaches to the Pro-clip and accessory mount using very strong self adhesive tape.

The design of the accessory mount makes the move it clip not really viable as the device has a deep recess on the rear face which offers very little contact area for the clip to stick. It should be possible to fill the recess on the mount with two pack epoxy if you really do want to use the "Move it" clips with this device.

How it all fits to the car.

For my installation I chose to use the self tapping screws to secure the two parts together, its not difficult, if you know which end of a screwdriver is the handle you will be able to perform this job. My nine year old son could do it without a problem:

Next you need to mount the Pro-clip and accessory mount into the vehicle, nice and easy as in my case the Pro-Clip simply slides into a small gap between two parts of the vehicles trim.

For my chosen mount the Pro-clip is secured with two pieces of self adhesive tape, but these are not really required as the whole assembly is very secure once inserted.

As a tip, try inserting the mount attached to the clip with the yellow protection tape covering the adhesive pads, make sure it all fits as you expect.

Then remove the assembly to peel off the cover tape and slide the whole lot back into position, apply a little pressure to seat the adhesive pads and that?s the job done.

Obviously the exact method of attachment will differ from car to car, but the Pro-Clip is supplied with easy to understand instructions. Some mounts simply clip to the air vents, but the exact method of attachment will depend upon what?s available for your model of car.

Cables

Left hand drive is the order of the day ? right angled cables tend to stick out from the side of the mount, its a minor niggle but I would like to see a range of optional power cables for this mount to tidy up the cable installation in the vehicle.

RDS-TMC, iPOD and Audio Line Output cables are all attached in this picture, although when you dock the device in to the cradle you cannot see too much in way of cables.

Nice and easy to fit, total time took around ten minutes, this provides a secure, solid mount that doesn't involve suction cups on the windscreen. With the added connectivity the accessory mount offers over and above the mount supplied with the device, its a very well worth addition if you want RDS-TMC or iPOD or Line Out audio - Mike

So, let me understand you correctly... if I change my location to UK and select the 940 dock, it will have the line out feature AND it will allow me to ship to a US address?

Is this the same dock that is offered at Proclips??? If so, there webpage mentions the TMC but not line out.

Thanks!

Jon

Active Dock Brodit style Here

Active Windscreen dock Here you can even see the extra sockets on this one.

Active Windscreen dock with RDS-TMC Here European RDS so not much use in America unless they bring out a different unit.

In each of the above links case you will need to set your location to UK, whether TomTom would let you order from them and ship to America I have no idea - Mike

Proclip Dock Question

Does anyone know if the Active Dock Holder 215393 for the 740 from ProClips have a "LineOut". The above post refers to the UK webpage from TomTom and shows the port, but I am wondering if the ProClip 215393 is the same thing?

Thanks,
Jon

An FM modulator with combined Issolation transformer is a great way to use the line-out and avoid interference from other radio stations, for the very best wireless solution the Bluetooth A2DP profile can be used IF the car supports it, this offers a much better sound quality with no interference and no wires, but finding a car kit capable of using the TomTom A2DP can be "fun"

If you really think you will use the Live services then the 740 is a good choice, if you are thinking of getting it and letting the monthly subscription lapse then go for a 730, only the x40 mount is a better solution than the x20/ x30 ranges, but a 740 devoid of Live services is an inferiour product to the 730 IMHO - Mike

Any suggestions on an A2DP adapter for my car. Maybe something that I can plug into the back of my radio and everything works seemlessly.

Hell, If I get the Fixed mount, I guess I can even use the line out and just use a FM Modulator.

Any thoughs or suggestions on getting routes read through stereo would be GREAT!

Thanks everyone,
Jon

Any suggestions on an A2DP adapter for my car. Maybe something that I can plug into the back of my radio and everything works seemlessly.
Have a read of my post in This Thread which details the Bluetooth kit I have installed, only problem is being USA based the postage costs will be a little high - E-Bay might be the best bet to obtain one though - Mike

Have a read of my post in This Thread which details the Bluetooth kit I have installed, only problem is being USA based the postage costs will be a little high - E-Bay might be the best bet to obtain one though - Mike

Mike, I did come across that the other day and have considered it. It in deed is a great setup. My delima - I have two vehicles that I want to be able to move the GPS from and this is a little pricely for one vehicle let alone two. Another thing, I really don't want another "control" or "knob" on my dashboard, more something in the hidden.

I am thinking that if I get the after-market mount, use the line out and feed it to a FM modulator that is a direct connect. Need to research it a little more though...

Thanks for your advice and help -- I look forward to any other comments and/or suggestions!!

Jon

Ask a Question