Tomtom 720 new softare dl - and loss of map

dhn

TomTom Model(s)
Go 50; Go 520
What a pain.....

When I connected my unit to the computer today, received notification of new software for the unit (7.21) which I dl and 'apparently' installed.

But, when I shut down the unit, removed from dock and powered up, got the flashing red X on screen. So, called TomTom support which had me: 1) remove the application from the unit and 2) re download ... this time it took (though the first time the progress bar said ok too) and the version on my unit shows 7.21 and no flashing X.

Thought problem was resolved. WRONG!

Also noticed my North America map version is at 7.05. I **was** at 7.10. Trying the guarantee option in TT Home showed there was a later version (no kidding) but I'm no longer eligible.

So another call to support who said essentially that 7.05 would get 'updated' as I continued to use mapshare.

And like a real dummy, I backed up contents of the unit (both using the TT software and a complete backup using Explorer) AFTER the red X problem was fixed,

In other words, wiped out my 7.10 version of the map and it's replaced with the 7.05.

So, just a cautionary tale.......if you're going to dl the software update and have 7.10 map of NA on your unit, make sure to backup BEFORE the dl. Too late for me but it may help you.

What a pain.....
So another call to support who said essentially that 7.05 would get 'updated' as I continued to use mapshare.

Let me guess, you were out of the 30 day map guarantee by the time you upgraded this firmware? I think Tomtom is being a little more than greedy about this map update. I think in your case, if you cry enough, they might let you have another map update. The rest of us with units older than 30 days ... oh well enough said.:eek:

Trying calling again and talk to another rep to see if they can help you out.

If you are stille eligible to exchange your unit for another and again receive the map update, that would be great.

Good Luck

As mentioned in other thread, did get the 710 map yesterday after all.

Thanks.

I have map version 705.1482 or something like that. I haven't seen anywhere where I can get a newer version of the map. Am I missing something?

I have map version 705.1482 or something like that. I haven't seen anywhere where I can get a newer version of the map. Am I missing something?

If you go to the TomTom website and switch the language to UK, go to the maps page and you'll find that there is a map version 710.

Ask a Question