TomTom 720 in the big smoke (Toronto)

TomTom Model(s)
Hi,

I noticed there are a few Canadians on this board and I have a quick questions about using the TomTom 720 in the city (Toronto). It seems when you get into where there are high towers I get alot of interferance (sp?) and the instructions are slow or incorrect or it just looses where it is. Is this common. I had the latest GPS Fix.

I don't think my FineDrive (stolen) was as bad. Maybe the antenna was better on that one. I know I can get an external antenna but I don't go into the city enough. Just curious.

Nathan...

Your unit has to be able to 'see' the sky in order to have multiple satellite connections. Tall buildings will definitely block the sky, as will heavily wooded areas. This is normal for all GPS's, although the sensitivity of the chip will make a big difference.

I've had problems in Paris with my One, so I bought an external antenna as a backup in case I got into trouble.

Jimbo is correct.
I've experience the same thing when driving through Downtown L.A.
An external antenna is the solution.

Ask a Question