Tomtom 720 battery replacement

Has anyone taken apart their 720 and replaced the battery ?
Can anyone give me some instructions on how to open the case - photos would be great!
Thanks in advance
Steve H

My 720 is about a year old and the battery is not holding its charge.
I get about 30 mins after a full recharge so I guess replacing the battey is the only answer.

Have you tried to use the battery saving preferences?

Also, a few say a pin reset appears to help with the battery life.

Finally, the units are designed to be used in conjunction with the car connector. Have you been using it while driving?

Thanks for the advice dhn. I have tuned off the bluetooth and using low brightness setting to conserve power. I haven't tried a pin reset yet.
I use it with the car connector when I am in the car but I plan my journeys just using the battery when I am in the house.
There is no doubt my battery life is getting worse.

Steve, while the 720 is in the house, just keep it on the docking station attached to your computer. That way, the battery charges even faster than with a car charger (of course, the computer has to be powered on:) ).

Hello, I have the same problem than Steve H. Is anyone already opened the GO 720? I know my battery is dead. I've tried several times to charge it on the computer but it still not last long. I have a replacement battery but I want to make sure to do it right the first time :) Pictures and tools choices would be appreciated.
Thank you

Yeah, GarCor, it appears you have attached a TEMPORARY doc file (see the tilde at the beginning?) rather than a proper doc file.

I will try this again.!

The first post I had made has been removed. The file I had attached was a word doc file that I had saved for future reference.

Here is a link from UK site with pictures etc.etc. for battery replacement on the GO xx.

I have not tried this so you are on your own.

Just don't be in a hurry and be carefull not to snap off any clips etc. etc.

link

Just click on above link and scroll down the page.

Saw the replacement battery on the UK site. I wonder if it includes the appropriate number of leads and the appropriate connector. This same pack is used for other devices by other manufacturers, and whenever I see a photo of one of these, it's a 5 wire version with no connector shown. That certainly wouldn't put me off -- I've been hitting solder with an iron for the better part of 45 years -- but it might bother others.

I have seen replacement batteries for the older TT units only on the US websites - have you seen some specifically for X20 and x30 units recently ?

The batteries for the older units looked like they were model specific - I assume because of different connections as well as sizes.

I have seen replacement batteries for the older TT units only on the US websites - have you seen some specifically for X20 and x30 units recently ?

The batteries for the older units looked like they were model specific - I assume because of different connections as well as sizes.

You might check on e-bay

I have checked on ebay, but not in the laset few weeks.

I am somewhat hesitant with respect to eBay vendors, as I have been semi-burned by some with respect to miss-represented products. Was made whole by paying ONLY through Paypal, but it was a hassle.

PS - how's the weather in Florida ?

I have checked on ebay, but not in the laset few weeks.

I am somewhat hesitant with respect to eBay vendors, as I have been semi-burned by some with respect to miss-represented products. Was made whole by paying ONLY through Paypal, but it was a hassle.

PS - how's the weather in Florida ?

I should be in Florida but am wating for test from Dr to come back before I can get away.

Here is as site that might have what you are looking for . I haven't delt with them so can't coment on them good or bad.
Batteries

I should be in Florida but am wating for test from Dr to come back before I can get away.

Here is as site that might have what you are looking for . I haven't delt with them so can't coment on them good or bad.
Batteries

Thanks

I am familiar with this site, and I had not seen them offering the 9xx batteries until now. I hope I don't need one, as I am still under warranty.

It is infuriating to see the 1300 mah for the 9xx models(would also work on the 7xx I believe) versus the 2300 mah for the x10's, as TomTom advertises them as lasting 5 hours versus 4 hours for the 2300 mah.

Hope your test comes back OK and you can get out of "dodge" before you are iced in.

Batteries
THANKS! First time I've seen these offered in the U.S. Their specific page for the X20 battery is as follows:

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/38206.3.138525628311544975

From the photo, it appears to have the correct wire count and connector as well, an issue with what I've seen elsewhere. For the $23 they're asking, it'll be worth it just to find out and report back.

Their compatibility guide could use some work. They don't seem to realize that this 920 battery is the same battery as is used in the 720. Hope that this doesn't put anyone with a 720 off buying them.

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm a recent buyer of a 2nd hand 720, but my boss has had one for a while. He has suspected his battery of being dead because of a very brief period of time the unit will actually stay powered on both plugged in & running on just battery after a charge.

I ordered This One & it comes with a nice set of tools included in the price @$30 shipped. We actually do not have a drive with one of the star bits that would fit the unit to take it apart, so a nice add-in on their part.

I will post back on how it goes otherwise the unit is probably bricked unless some of the other items work to repair it.

Merry Christmas fellow Tomtom owners!

Ask a Question