Tomtom 720 battery replacement

replacement 720 battery

I just completed it and the unit it working quite well.
The battery came from Hong Kong and it has the correct connector.
Taking the unit appart is not a problem but removing the old battery was a mess because it is glued.

Video Demonstration

You can find a video that shows how to replace the Go 720's battery.

The linked site also offers a kit which includes the battery, tools, and warranty.

Hope this helps,
Craig

You can find a video that shows how to replace the Go 720's battery.

The linked site also offers a kit which includes the battery, tools, and warranty.

Hope this helps,
Craig

Awesome. Many thanks for this link. After getting a replacement from Tom Tom since my original unit had a bad battery ive come to the conclusion that the one they sent is the same crap. Because I dont want to bother seeing if I can get another unit(doubt it at this point) I will be replacing the battery myself using this tutorial.

Thanks again.

removing the battery was pretty easy. it has a piece of rubbery two sided thin tape. with a hair dryer it came up pretty easy and installing the new battery was cake.

yeah so I am kicking myself for attempting this. I just cracked the screen on my 720 and now it doesn't work anymore. Perfectly good GPS down the tubes now.

yeah so I am kicking myself for attempting this. I just cracked the screen on my 720 and now it doesn't work anymore. Perfectly good GPS down the tubes now.

how did you manage that? you removed both screws from the top?

Battery Replacement

I used the excellent instructions on this web site- TomTom GO x20.pdf.
It is difficult to remove the original battery, mine was a Sony, using a screwdriver can damage the plastic battery cover and produse a short curcuit, with "fireworks". Try using a hard plastic implement

removing the battery was pretty easy. it has a piece of rubbery two sided thin tape. with a hair dryer it came up pretty easy and installing the new battery was cake.

maybe im just cursed for owning a tom tom but even after purchasing a new battery and installing it this thing will not charge more than 50%. i have used a wall charger, the usb cradle, etc. I also exchanged my original go 720 thru tom tom initially but that one they sent ALSO had a bad batter so thats why i exchanged to this unit. Now I am RMA'ing the battery i bought recently just in time too.
Thanks god i ran an accessory plug on my bike or id be dead in the water now. Makes me want to go to a garmin or something. But i already have a handlebar mount and other stuff for this 720. ugh.

anyone know if tom tom offers some kind of trade in trade up program? maybe if this doesnt work out i can get a 730 or whatever newer model they have.

maybe im just cursed for owning a tom tom but even after purchasing a new battery and installing it this thing will not charge more than 50%. i have used a wall charger, the usb cradle, etc. I also exchanged my original go 720 thru tom tom initially but that one they sent ALSO had a bad batter so thats why i exchanged to this unit. Now I am RMA'ing the battery i bought recently just in time too.
Thanks god i ran an accessory plug on my bike or id be dead in the water now. Makes me want to go to a garmin or something. But i already have a handlebar mount and other stuff for this 720. ugh.

anyone know if tom tom offers some kind of trade in trade up program? maybe if this doesnt work out i can get a 730 or whatever newer model they have.

Just to follow up my last post i wanted to ad the fact that I got another replacement battery and they claim that (batteryship) that only 2%come back bad. Well after getting another I am convinced the go 720 is just a piece of crap when it comes to holding a charge. a few different units.....a few NEW batteries tells me so.

What is the battery life SUPPOSED to be on these units anyhow? I already have accessories for the 720 so ill just be keeping it and using it plugged in all the time anyhow.

Depends a bit on what's turned on and what isn't. Shutting down Bluetooth service and keeping the screen brightness way down bought me a good 1-3/4 hours on my new 720 when I tried using it as a "walking" device in Europe once. I also wasn't using the voice at all -- just watching the screen.

It's not so much that the 720 won't hold a charge -- it's the battery that does that, unless your internal charging circuit is bad -- but it is capable of sucking one dry fairly quickly.

What kind of time are you getting on it now, and how is it configured (per some of the items above)?

All in all, there's no question that these automotive nav units aren't really designed for detached operation for very long.

blue tooth is disabled, i don't find it useful in a car. I usually keep the day brightness all the way up but i put it down to about 20%
Ill see if it helps.

blue tooth is disabled, i don't find it useful in a car. I usually keep the day brightness all the way up but i put it down to about 20%
Ill see if it helps.
If you can make it work for you at that level in the daylight, it should make a significant difference to battery life. Especially because these are fairly large screens (compared to a regular handheld GPS), the backlights pull down quite a bit of power.

To put you in some perspective here...

A Garmin Oregon 450 handheld with a screen area about 1/2 the size of your TomTom will suck down a pair of lithium ion cells in about 12 hours -- with the backlight set to shut down after 15 seconds! These devices only light up the backlight when you fiddle with the touchscreen, and shut down after a user defined period of time. It's the only way you can get reasonable battery life out of them.

If I were to tell my Oregon 450 to keep the backlight on full time, even with the much smaller display, my "live" time would shrink to a couple of hours at best.

Just a warning when replacing battery. Do NOT disconnect the strip cable from the screen to the mother board. I did that on mine and the little clip broke and I could not get the cable to stay attached. So no screen now. Dead! Drat.

How to open a tomtom720

just need help opening a tomtom720
this item was used wehen I bought it .. the battery is shot...charged it on the home computer through the USB cable and once you unplug it .. you push the button and it lights up just long enough to show the mountain scene and the screen goes blank...in the car it will work but only while plugged up...need it to stay working from the house to the car ...bought a new battery got the two screws out of the top corners but dont really see where it comes apart...just need some info please..thanks

Ask a Question