:rolleyes:
but my brother in Sweden is using his 8GB in his Tomtom
and told me to formate And use Some Trick
Anyhow if i use the SD Card in Mean Exter.SD
Do i have to Put all togther in one SD
Application and Map ?
of does it matter if the map in the HD and the Application in SD
or opposite?

Well, with a 720, you CAN have the application in memory and map(s) on a sd card. There are some who do have a successful experience with 8 gig sd cards. If I understand properly, TT can read from an 8 gig sd but won't write to more than 4 gigs (3.79, actually). That being the case, you could do a backup of your unit to your hard drive using Explorer, not TT home. Then, delete the NA map folder from your unit. When you download and install the European map, you can install it on the sd card. Now, backup the sd card to a DIFFERENT location on your hard drive. Next, copy to the sd card the NA map folder you have backed up. Use Explorer. At this point you should have the application (and almost 2 gigs free) on the unit and two maps on the sd card.

If you desire, there are now options in terms of which map you might want to put back on the unit, if you wish.

By the way, one user here, infama, more than likely will read this post, probably correct some stuff I've said :rolleyes: and offer you better advice.

I know he has both European maps & NA maps on his unit but am not sure whether his sd card is 4 or 8 gigs.

I bought a 8 gig SDHC card.. I first put it in my card reader in my computer,it did not reconize it at all(computer is two years old). Next I put the card in my TT it showed up in my computer and said it needed formated,after formating it read as a 4 gig card in properities. I went out and bought a new usb card reader ($9.00 at local computer store)reformated card thru card reader showed 8 gigs when done. put in TT check again shows 8 gigs loaded New NA maps 920 POI's about 500 mp3 and still have over 3 gigs availble Every thing seems to be working fine

I seem to recall someone somewhere saying that FAT-16 made their device see all 8Gb, but I could be mistaken. I've tried none of this myself btw.

I bought a 8 gig SDHC card.. I first put it in my card reader in my computer,it did not reconize it at all(computer is two years old). Next I put the card in my TT it showed up in my computer and said it needed formated,after formating it read as a 4 gig card in properities. I went out and bought a new usb card reader ($9.00 at local computer store)reformated card thru card reader showed 8 gigs when done. put in TT check again shows 8 gigs loaded New NA maps 920 POI's about 500 mp3 and still have over 3 gigs availble Every thing seems to be working fine

I did exactly the same as phins on my TT Go 520 and the 8GB Card works great. I can't always add more mp3's when its in my TT but if I put it in the card reader add the mp3's then put it back in my TT and do a reset it then see's all the extra's I have added. card filled with about 5GB's of data at the moment.

I seem to recall someone somewhere saying that FAT-16 made their device see all 8Gb, but I could be mistaken. I've tried none of this myself btw.
The FAT16 directory structure doesn't have enough bits to point to reasonably sized clusters sufficient to make up 8GB. That's why (prior to NTFS) FAT32 was a MS standard. A "cluster" is the minimum amount of space that is referenced in a single "chunk". Since the total number of bits (and hence, slots) to store things is limited, if the "drive" is bigger, you have to talk about bigger and bigger chunks at a time.

Formatting an 8GB card (or a 4GB card, for that matter) as FAT16 is going to leave you way short of "addressable" vs. "actual" storage. FAT16 max's out at 2GB. Hope the table below formats correctly. If not, my apologies. vBulletin has its limits unless certain features are turned on...

Drive Size--------Default FAT16 Cluster-----Default FAT32 Cluster
260 MB–511 MB-------
8 KB--------------------Not supported
512 MB–1023 MB-----16 KB------------------------4 KB
1024 MB–2 GB--------32 KB------------------------4 KB
2 GB–8 GB--------Not supported-------------------4 KB
8 GB–16 GB-------Not supported-------------------8 KB
16 GB–32 GB------Not supported------------------16 KB
> 32 GB----------Not supported-------------------32 KB

Last edited:

Ask a Question