tomtom 540tm xll

Hi
Just bought this unit and I also have a Garmin 265wt
I love the the TomTom better but my question is on the Garmin if I take a street that is different from the one Garmin wants me to take it will recaculate and put me on the next best route.
But on my TomTom it tells me to turn around. Is there a recaculation on the TomTom like there is on the Garmin units.

Welcome to TTF.

Normally your unit WILL automatically recalculate a different route (it doesn't announce 'recalculating' as a Garmin does). Sometimes, if the planning preferences you've put in seem to restrict the planning algorithm of the tomtom, it may suggest you turn around instead.

But, as I said, it should normally just recalculate a different route within a few seconds of sensing you're not on the original route any longer.

Settings-->Planning Preferences-->See what you have checked in the various screens offered you.

okay I found the planning preferences and the always plan fastest routes is checked. Is there anything else that needs to be changed.

Tomtom will send you the fastest way it knows from your current location to the destination.

If, after turning away from the route, the fastest way is a uturn back to where you came, the Tomtom will take you that way.

You can go to "change route" -> "avoid street" if you want the Tomtom to avoid a part of the route

Ask a Question