Tom V3 Questions.

TomTom Model(s)
XL
been doing a lot of reading about the whole 710 maps ect. I however still have 660 maps on my tt1v3 which i got two months back. The 660 do not sound like to me to be the most up to date maps. I use my tt1 on my mac so i can not normally use home2. So i got out a xp laptop and got home2 on it and it still say 660 is the most up to date map. however i will not let me use mapshare well duh i wonder with 660 maps... but i do have the newest software on the tt.
Question basically what the heck is going on or is 660 the most up to date for my unit? O and to further explain my tt1 is the one with the 1gbsd card. thanks everyone.

The v7 maps are not yet for sale to us. Only those who bought the new 720 get them preinstalled.

However, the v7 maps are now for sale in Europe, so I think it won't be long before we North Americans can easily purchase them too.

No, that is a message from HOME. apparently everyone is getting that same message when using HOME to verify if they have the lastest maps.

660 is not the most current. In fact 'Home' checks for the software version, not the map version.

The most current version is for TT ONE (not 3rd edition) is 675. I have no idea how to get that version via 'Home'. It is available via less scrupulous methods, and after getting an awful run-around at tomtom I gave up and went that route. SO instead of me paying @20 bucks, and TT getting a happy (sort of) customer, they spent 1.5 hours on the phone to me. Got no money from me. Ended up making me learn how to use pirate bay to get it for free (along with some other TT goodies I was going to buy). And pissed me off enough to write this. Lost me as a loyal TT spokesman, and guaranteed future customer. I still like the TT. It has a great interface. But when I next go to buy a new GPS unit, all bets are off as to which one I buy.

BACKGROUND:
I had bought a new unit only to find out the maps were over two year old! I had thought that 'home' had updated to give me the most current maps - wrong! and once I found that out my thirty days had elapsed. I tried to reason with tomtom, even offered to pay a nominal amount ($20) to get four month old maps (that is when I had bought the TT) - but they would not hear of it - full price or nothing. Keep in mind that many roads in my area are new, and missing on my TT. Version 675 has all the roads I use daily that are not on 650 (version shipped with my TT). The only reason I contacted TT to find out that 675 was most current, was I heard about the user map update feature, and figured if I could get that I could update the maps for me and others (why the hell should I help TT after the way they treated me.....but I digress). For the record, the user map updater is NOT exactly what is advertised. From what I can see it is set up to let us poor schmuck users become TT's map quality control - where is my royalty cheque! It is not a method of true editing. I was hoping that I could drive down a new road 'logging' the data points as I drove to update my map. Not.

Just to save you a bunch of time. The 7.101 map is in a different format, at least the file suffix is different from the 6x series. So although I have a copy (borrowed from another TT, 3rd version) I can't figure out how to transfer it. (I have the 6x version transfers down to a fine art). Complicating matters, is it wont work on Home 1.5! only on Home 2x. Which, like you and me to, means we are S.O.L. as we both use Macs that wont run the damn thing.

INSERT RANT HERE:
The original reason I bought the TT was because it said it supported the Mac. Uh huh. More false words from TT. That really annoys me. Something else, while I'm on a roll..... Has anyone read the free updates BS? Maps are not included. And guaranteed map? Only for thirty days - now that is approaching a bald faced lie. If you read the packaging, it makes it fairly clear that you get the most current maps, and that upgrades are free. Which sure sounds a lot like 'free map upgrades', which it isn't. Personally, I think the businesses (i.e. POI's) should pay, or at least do the submitting of POI's. It is pretty close to advertising for them, right? The mapping data is public info, and the GPS signal is paid by the taxpayer. Sell the unit, o.k. But charge me for info that is rightfully mine - not right, and a time will come when due to competition they won't get away with it either. I wonder how many people they will alienate by then with their current policies?

How much would i really cost them to just always provide FREE new maps? As time goes on the maps will be more and more current. So fewer and fewer changes will be made. Give me a break. With free maps forever, people will still be buying the latest and greatest GPS gadgets. So really what would it cost them? probably next to nothing. And if the content was free people would want more and more on their TT's which would mean they would need upgrades...you see they might even make more money! Apple makes next to nothing on iTunes, most mp3 files are copied, and yet Apple is making a ton of money on iPods. There's the proof of my concept!
<END RANT>

So crazy-long story short. Get 675, that is the best you can get right now.:(

You talk as if the maps are made by TomTom, but this is not the case. TomTom buys the maps from TeleAtlas. So it can't just give away something they have had to pay for.

Perhaps if or when TomTom buys TeleAtlas, we will get a better map policy.

You talk as if the maps are made by TomTom, but this is not the case. TomTom buys the maps from TeleAtlas. So it can't just give away something they have had to pay for.

Perhaps if or when TomTom buys TeleAtlas, we will get a better map policy.

I am aware that they currently pay other cartographers(not just TeleAtlas) - but they sure don't pay them over $100 bucks per user. They are adding a huge mark-up. And my point was they could provide them for free. Even if it does cost them something.

Have you ever heard of Google maps?

Detailed POI's paid (sponsored by the businesses behind them) could more than offset any cost of map production. The maps are based on free public information, gathered by various government departments.

And although you are partially correct about Tomtom not making the maps, they are selling them. I say partially, since Tomtom is in fact using it's own resources to monitor and collect mapping information, which it adds to the map databases. So they are actually part of the map production process.

Ask a Question