Tom Tom Guides the Blind

My Daughter is a seventh grader. She wants to use our Tom Tom one in her science project. She wants to create an itinrary of a short distance. Then, she will give the device to blind-folded people to reach the destination by following the TT voice instructions. Does anyone know how to create the itinrary? Especially that she wants as detailed instructions as possible. Thanks for your help.

EDIT- Hi! i am the daughter and if anyone can ansewr as soon as possible that would be great cause i need to start my project soon!

Last edited:
Which model of ONE do you have?
You may not have the Itinerary Planner option.
My previous model was the ONE 130. It did not have Itinerary Planning capability, so I have since upgraded to an XL 330S.

EJ

I have the 3rd edition. I see that I can add a 'via place' to the planned itenrary. Is there a way to add more 'via places'? A

It used to be possible to add the itinerary function to this device when it was first released, what software version is installed to it? Tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box to find out what Navcore and map version is currently loaded and do you have a backup from when the device was new - Mike

It used to be possible to add the itinerary function to this device when it was first released, what software version is installed to it? Tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box to find out what Navcore and map version is currently loaded and do you have a backup from when the device was new - Mike
i think the software version is 8. and we have the one third edition. please help! and it says on bottom right hand screen version 8.010 if that is any different than 8

Last edited:
Indeed your device is running Navcore 8,010 but I also need to know what the map version is installed, its on the same screen as the 8,010 Navcore information you have found - Mike

The One 3rd edition does not support multiple via points. It is one of only 3 Tomtom models (One 3rd, One 130, and One 125) ever sold in the US that didn't have multi-via points.

The multi-via-point feature is called "itinerary planning".

There were some hacks in the One 3rd edition that could enable itinerary planning via a hidden menu, but Tomtom caught onto the trick and disabled it in newer software. You have to manually downgrade the software, and that software required old (7xx series) maps.

That's why MikeAlder was asking which map you have.

For your model, you could set up and store up to 48 favorites. You could then have the blindfolded people follow the favorites one at a time. But you have to manually choose a new favorite after each destination.

Last edited:
Depending on whether this is done in a clear sky area or not, some of the participants may end up as much as 60' or more away from each other using the exact same waypoints. Indoors it could be much more than that. Just wanted you to be aware. In addition, none of the highway/typical use devices will give you constant voice guidance, so with a destination set they'll be on their own until they get within 100' or so of the waypoint. Even then none of the TomTom's will lead you to the destination with repeated announced turns. Not sure that particular project will work out for your daughter.

Last edited:
thanks for the help, i will try to find out what version map it is and see if that will work.

Last edited:
Your big problem will be that the TomTom will not give you verbal announcements to get you from waypoint to waypoint in an open field. Try it yourself at a park. It won't work as a project. It can't guide the blind. But there was nothing wrong with the idea and good thinking on your daughter's part. It's just the TomTom won't cooperate.

actually, we just bought a one xl that has the 7 series maps! it works if i do long distances with few turns. i still need two GPS's, so i will downgrade the one we have now. does anyone know how, or has a link to a website that could tell me how?

Last edited:
Indeed your device is running Navcore 8,010 but I also need to know what the map version is installed, its on the same screen as the 8,010 Navcore information you have found - Mike

The screen says this exactly:

Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v710.1575

thanks for the help!:confused:

Thank you guys for all the help but i finished my project and it worked fine as long as i kept in a fenced area next to the road, went a long distance, and had few turns! thanks a bunch, and my science project might win the science fair thursday! keeping my fingers crossed!!!!! BYE!!!

Ask a Question