Sync Time Doesn't

Okay, just got my 740 GO yesterday, and I'm pretty impressed so far. I've gone over the years from an iPAQ with TomTom software, to a brief encounter with a Garmin Nuvi, which I hated, to a TomTom One 3rd, and now to the 740.

Anyhow, the Sync button on the Time Set screen makes a lot of sense: sync the time to UTC time, making it as accurate as possible, right? Well, at (approximately) 9:11 PM tonight, I clicked Sync, and the time change to 9:41. Tried it another time, and 9:44. Set it back to 9:13 (or so), and clicked Sync and the same thing happened. I'm not sure if it's exactly 30 minutes off, or just a random time, but EST this is not.

Does the Sync really work? Is there some limitation to its use?

You need a strong satellite fix for sync to work properly. Did you have that?

I guess that was it. Last night, I just walked out in the front yard with it, and it seemed to be getting a good signal, but didn't give good time. On the way home from work today, after driving a while, I tried it by mis-changing the time, and clicking Sync, and it did so, correctly and quickly. What's confusing to me about last night, though, is that when looking at the GPS Status screen, the UTC time was correct, but it apparently ignored that upon Sync, preferring to "try" to read it directly (and failing by setting it incorrectly). You'd think it would just use the UTC time, which is there whether you have a signal or not, I think, or not sync unless the signal is strong enough.

No biggie, though, now that I know. Thanks for your feedback.

Ask a Question