Ford Picks TomTom for Sync

This will be available in 15 different Ford models in 2014. This deal should drive a great deal of revenue for TomTom. The stock is over $5 for the 1st time in a long time.

Ford dumps Inrix and Navteq/Nokia Here for TomTom.

TomTom also signed new deals with Renault and Sony, see the links at the bottom.

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130910-904583.html

New partnership between TomTom and Ford to support Ford SYNC AppLink technology

CONCORD, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--September 10, 2013--
TomTom today announced that it will deliver the navigation app for the Ford SYNC in-dash multimedia system.

The TomTom Navigation app for Ford SYNC offers drivers a convenient and safe way to access TomTom turn-by-turn navigation solution. The app gives access to world-class Maps, navigation technology and traffic information and can be controlled using voice commands through Ford SYNC with AppLink.

This is the first product of TomTom's partnership with Ford Motor Company.

More information about the TomTom Navigation app for Ford SYNC will be made available prior to its launch in 2014.

A demonstration of how TomTom apps can be enhanced by the Ford SYNC system will be shown by Ford at the Frankfurt IAA 2013 motor show today.

http://www.4-traders.com/TOMTOM-626...Center-integrates-TomTom-navigation-17253344/

http://www.sys-con.com/node/2784801

I keep meaning to point this out, and this thread is as good as any. I'm sure most of you know that TomTom purchased Teleatlas, one of the two major mapping companies, in the 2nd half of 2007.

Ford dumps Inrix and Navteq/Nokia Here for TomTom.

I don't know how many of our members are aware of it, but Nokia bought NavTeq, the 'other' major worldwide mapping firm, in late 2007. Garmin and a couple of other 'majors' are using NavTeq for their mapping source.

Microsoft just announced their buy of Nokia ... and will, of course, be getting NavTeq as part of the deal.

This could get interesting.

Interesting. I had incorrectly assumed that the "Services" in their Devices & Services division included NavTeq. Has it always been that way, or did they shuffle it in advance of the sale?

I keep meaning to point this out, and this thread is as good as any. I'm sure most of you know that TomTom purchased Teleatlas, one of the two major mapping companies, in the 2nd half of 2007.

I don't know how many of our members are aware of it, but Nokia bought NavTeq, the 'other' major worldwide mapping firm, in late 2007. Garmin and a couple of other 'majors' are using NavTeq for their mapping source.

Microsoft just announced their buy of Nokia ... and will, of course, be getting NavTeq as part of the deal.

This could get interesting.

They didn't purchase the Maps division which was Navteq. Maps and Networks are on their own. MS just bought the phone part of it including the contract manufacturers in Asia.

Microsoft did sign a long term licensing deal with Nokia maps though.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/microsoft-nokia-buyout-details-7-things-to-know/

Nokia will still remain, but it won’t make phones
Nokia will still exist as a tech company and will continue with three main lines of business.

• Network infrastructure: Nokia has a healthy network infrastructure business after buying out Siemens share in Nokia Siemens Networks earlier this year.
  • Here Maps: Nokia will retain its mapping and location services businesses. That means Here Maps will not be a Microsoft product and Nokia will remain free to work on integrating it into cars, as was recently announced. Microsoft has licensed Here Maps for the next four years.
  • Technology development: Nokia will continue to develop technologies that it will patent and sell/license to others.

Depends upon the actual execution of the Sync. What, exactly, can we expect to see on the Ford side of the user interface, and how much will depend upon continuing to use the smart phone's video? Personally, I find the layout and size of the smart phone video less optimal than any standalone TomTom in terms of layout, and visually, not as readable as any of the 4.3" or larger TomTom standalone units. If Sync depends upon the Smart phone for the view of the map, I'm not gonna be very impressed after all.

TomTom also just came out with an engine sensor but it seems just for business clients which is a mistake. I know Garmin has one that anyone can get. This may do a lot more than Garmins though since its open to developers.

http://twitter.ulitzer.com/node/2787084

TomTom Business Solutions will launch a new device to enable a smartphone to connect to real-time vehicle and driving information. The TomTom LINK 100 dongle allows third-parties to create a wide range of new mobile applications that make use of vehicle information and driver usage.

The easy to install TomTom LINK 100 logs vehicle diagnostic information, such as engine rpm, load and temperature, directly from the on-board diagnostic port. The integrated 3D accelerometer logs driving behavioural data. By providing access to real-time information the LINK 100 will enable the automotive, leasing, insurance and roadside assistance industries to create innovative products that allow the end-user to benefit from connected car technology.

"This innovation opens up a wealth of possibilities for development of smartphone apps allowing motorists and businesses alike to benefit from ready availability of vehicle data," said Thomas Schmidt, Managing Director, TomTom Business Solutions.

"TomTom is leading the way by providing an interface that offers the highest standards of reliability and data security. The available data empowers drivers to drive more safely and efficiently and provides diagnostic insight, paving the way for products that deliver consumer value while allowing suppliers to control cost and risk."

The LINK 100, which also offers accident detection and crash logs, is expected to aid the evolution of usage-based insurance products and solutions designed to help the leasing industry reduce risk.

For car manufacturers and dealerships, it will mean the ability to offer ongoing maintenance and technical services, based on information gathered from the vehicle.

Drivers, meanwhile, will be able to use smartphone apps to gain a snapshot of their driving performance for each trip in order to help them to identify where improvement is necessary. Driver location privacy is maintained as the device does not incorporate GPS or reporting on vehicle location.

"The possibilities offered by the connected vehicle are virtually limitless," added Thomas.

"Roadside assistance companies, for example, could use the available data to ensure the most appropriate responder is sent out to each incident based on the exact nature of the breakdown but any number of different industries may imagine alternative uses for the wealth of available data."

The product will be made available before the end of the year.

Perhaps I'm not following the entire purpose of the Link 100, but there are all kinds of /OBDII OBD2 CAN-BUS/ to Bluetooth adapters out there, and the software to load on a smart phone to view it all. In fact, I wonder why TomTom has chosen to wander off into that bit of business.

Ford Sync is was developed by Microsoft and is a Windows Embedded backbone. Given the Nokia devices purchase, you would assume that MS would push to integrate Navteq maps, but as posted earlier, MS didn't get maps in the purchase, they only got a long term use license. Most likely they can't resell the license outside of the Windows Phone ecosystem.

It's also possible that the Ford/Tomtom mapping deal was signed years ago before the MS/Nokia purchase was even contemplated, these in-dash things usually take years in development before an actual announcement.

I'm hopeful that the "traffic" noted in the release is HDtraffic (and I hope IQroutes comes with it too). We really need good in-dash directions in the USA, and no one in the world other than Tomtom knows how to calculate good directions in urban areas.

Last edited:
I think the Link 100 is for insurance companies and fleet management so other people can see how you are driving.

http://www.slashgear.com/tomtom-link-100-dongle-allows-third-parties-to-see-how-you-drive-11297448/

TomTom has announced a new product aimed at enabling easy access to information about vehicles using a smartphone. The product is from Tomtom Business Solutions and will be called the TomTom Link 100 dongle. The product is intended to allow third parties to build a range of applications for mobile devices that are able to make use of vehicle information and driving data.

The Link 100 is able to log vehicle diagnostic information including engine RPM, load, and temperature. The information is gathered directly from the vehicle’s onboard diagnostics port. The Link 100 also features a built-in 3-D accelerometer able to log driver behavior data. That means if you break the speed limit or drive erratically, the Link 100 will record that.

The device sounds like hardware that will find its way into devices such as those insurance companies use to see your driving style and give you discounts. TomTom specifically says that the Link 100 is designed for the automotive, leasing, insurance, and roadside assistance industries. The manufacturer believes that the product will help these industries build devices to help end-users benefit from connected car technology.

One of the main functions of the Link 100 is to offer accident detection and record crash logs. TomTom sees the product as an evolution of usage-based insurance products and solutions designed to help the leasing industry reduce risk. This is a black box that helps industries keep an eye on vehicles and drivers at its core. However, it does has functionality for drivers as well allowing them to connect their smartphone to their vehicle to gain a look at their driving performance to identify where they can improve. It’s also worth noting that driver proxies maintain the calls the Link 100 does not have GPS or the ability to report vehicle location.

Ask a Question