Strange Spelling

Haven't got a mount for tomtom and the Harley yet. I've read and heard good things about RAM systems, and that's probably where I'll go.

I've been known to go on 3 - 5000 mile trips and I think I'd like to look at a map before I leave, but kind of let the road take me. But, have the tomtom to back me up. Hopefully, this summer, I'm riding to Arkansas, and I figure round trip, with the side trips and all, I'll do 3 - 3500 miles. I should have a good mounting system by then, and again, probably RAM.

Oh yeah, that is one good thing about Florida. We can, and do ride year round. Even bad days are better than days when you can't ride. For us, it's been a pretty cold winter, and I found that riding to work when it's 29 out, the truck probably makes more sense. But, it was still the bike.

How long of a vacation (goddammit, I'm talking like a Yank!) will you take to do the 3500 miles. You have obviously better roads than we have. If I went from Land's End to John o'Groats it is only 875 miles by road (600 miles if flying by crow, don't tend to fly by crow as their in-flight entertainment is crap!) so on a 3500 mile trip I could do it there and back twice with mileage to spare! I'd be lucky to average 250 miles per day.
Just shows you how much bigger your backyard is to mine.:)
What is the attraction of Arkansas? Music, scenery, everyone having the same DNA?:D

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

I think I'll be on holiday (is that better?) for about 10 days. The first day's ride will be about 600 miles, the second about 700. (A little over 700 has been my longest, and that's about all I can do.) Then for the next 4 or 5 days, it will be just hanging around, drinking beer, and having a good time.

Arkansas? Well, the family is spread out from the Midwest to the South to the East. We are trying, every couple of years, to get as many of us together as possible. We chose Arkansas this year because we found a nice place large enough to accompany us all for a decent price.

Sounds like a lot of riding. At least with a Harley (and the same with my Virago) you're sitting upright on the bike rather than taking a lot of weight on your wrists as in the case of a sports bike (plastic fantastic!).
We did 300 miles one day in France last year, most of it in the wet (some quite heavy rain occasionally), the roads over there are much better and much quieter, even the autoroutes (motorways, freeways). But I was glad to be sleeping in a hotel that night rather than a tent.
If you ever get to ride in France then an absolute must is the A75 (La M?ridienne : Clermont-Ferrand - P?zenas). This will take you over the Millau Viaduct but come off the autoroute at Millau, go down into the town, take the road to Peyre, that will take you underneath the viaduct which is much more impressive.
Just to give you an idea of the climate here it is snowing at present!

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

Last edited:

Ask a Question