Strange Spelling

TomTom Model(s)
RiderII, Urban, Start, and PDAs
At the top of the screen it says "TomTomForums.com - TomTOm & GPS Navagation Community"

Is this an American spelling of 'Navigation' or just a simple error? I know Americans ususally forget to put 'u' in various words - favorite, color to name just a couple :D

Cheers,

tarmacburner2
(English speaking Englishman, not a English talking American):rolleyes:

Probably just a typo....but :rolleyes: the administrator is in London so....:rolleyes: I am sure he will see this;) I thought it may be phonetics with an English twist. Actually I never noticed.

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Small citicism of an otherwise excellent site.
I have an old Acer N35 that also spells 'Navigator' incorrectly, replacing the 'i' with an 'a' . The newer ones spell 'Navigator' correctly.
When the administrator gets back from visiting the 'Mother Country' then I hope they start putting the missing 'u's back in.:rolleyes:

Must say I like the look of the new site, well done whoever was responsible.

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

Small citicism of an otherwise excellent site.
I have an old Acer N35 that also spells 'Navigator' incorrectly, replacing the 'i' with an 'a' . The newer ones spell 'Navigator' correctly.
When the administrator gets back from visiting the 'Mother Country' then I hope they start putting the missing 'u's back in.:rolleyes:

Must say I like the look of the new site, well done whoever was responsible.

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

Please, don't put the u's in. Some of us are lazy and don't want to type the extra letter. :D

drledger,
Didn't realise the administrator lives in London. As the site is predominantly USA and Canada orientated I assumed (wrongly, but that's not a first!) that he was over the pond in the USA.

crgator,
Accept your laziness excuse for the non inclusion of 'u'. Please ensure though that from this time forward that you get your 'e' and 'r' s in the correct order ('centre' instead of 'center', litre instead of 'liter') It would also help if you stop using made up words like 'freeway' - 'motorway' is perfectly acceptable. It is fortunate that TomTom only concerns itself with roads not pavements, green lanes, bridle paths and so on, otherwise it would get totally confusing trying to translate numerous terms.:D

I remain, yours respectfully, blah blah blah,:rolleyes:
tarmacburner2

drledger,
Didn't realise the administrator lives in London. As the site is predominantly USA and Canada orientated I assumed (wrongly, but that's not a first!) that he was over the pond in the USA.

crgator,
Accept your laziness excuse for the non inclusion of 'u'. Please ensure though that from this time forward that you get your 'e' and 'r' s in the correct order ('centre' instead of 'center', litre instead of 'liter') It would also help if you stop using made up words like 'freeway' - 'motorway' is perfectly acceptable. It is fortunate that TomTom only concerns itself with roads not pavements, green lanes, bridle paths and so on, otherwise it would get totally confusing trying to translate numerous terms.:D

I remain, yours respectfully, blah blah blah,:rolleyes:
tarmacburner2

I think it would be easier to learn to add the "u" than to learn to respell all the other words. Besides, what would spellcheck think? :confused:

British spellchecker picks up words like 'color'' honor' and offers alternative spelling. (please note that I used the word 'alternative' to 'correct' even though I meant correct):D
One can only assume that you are using the inferior American English (bit of an oxymoron there!) checker.

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

Last edited:
Without the English (with a little bit of help from other European Nations) America would still be owned by the indigenous Indian population. By the Treaty of Paris (1783) England finally recognised the independence of the thirteen Colonies and thereby ended the American Revolutionary War. However if anyone is willing to pay for me to come over to America for a fully paid three month holiday (vacation in USA speak) I will debate the matter further face to face. Had we known at the time that Texas (which in itself was probably not even known about) had loads of oil reserves (with which we could make petrol (gas) to fuel our motor vehicles (again, not known about at the time)) we would have probably continued with the war. Luckily for the Colonialists we didn't. :rolleyes:

If anyone is willing to fund the holiday, I would like to go to California, Oregon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, ride the old Route 66, Hawaii, Canada (not part of the USA I realise but I bet you wish it was (all that Maple Syrup for your pancakes), avoid Disneyland and Disney world and all those other theme parks). I can provide my own Sat Nav (with maps of USA). Please let me know in plenty of time so that I may pack my toothbrush, anything else I need I'll buy in the nearest Wal-Mart after getting off the plane.;)

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

But, if you "finally recognised [we spell it recognized here, by the way] the independence of the thirteen Colonies" why did you come back 29 years later? :)

And, you've got to give credit where credit's due: the Vikings were here first, after they finished raiding your shores.

You know, I've always wanted to visit England (my uncle did in 1944, but I'd prefer better circumstances) and Ireland (yeah, I've got Irish blood in me). Maybe we can work out a vacation (holiday for you) trade? And let me add, if you come here, avoid Disney World when you're in Florida and head south to the Keys. Dive a few of the reefs. They're a lot more awe inspiring. Or, come by the Space Center and watch a rocket launch. Very awesome.

June 18, 1812 America declares war against the British. This war is known as "Mr. Madison's War" or "The Second American Revolution." Madison I believe was your 4th President. I admit the British weren't entirely innocent victims in this matter but history shows that it was your side that threw it's toys out of the pram.;)

Vikings got there first - absolutely agree on the one, they also had the good sense to get the hell out of there as they could see it didn't look to have much of a future.:D

Never fancied Florida as a holiday destination, too hot and humid for me. Probably due to the fact that over here the climate is wetter, cooler (cold!). Went down to the South of France last year on the bikes, (three of us touring and camping), to see the Millau Viaduct (google image it if you don't know it). Nine days from start to finish and it rained for part of the day every day, but in the South it was hot when the sun was out. Great when riding but when you stop it gets a bit hot in leathers! (Tomtom worked a treat apart from the woman giving me directions in French!):(
You are welcome to come over here anytime, but if you want a really different peaceful holiday go to Southern Ireland (Eire). Beautiful place and the people are still friendly toward strangers. The Guinness is better over there as well.

There were quite a few 'Yanks' over here during WWII, thanks for the help by the way. My father was in the RAF (Royal Air Force) during the war, however, we still managed to win. Reminds me of an old joke
The German controllers at Frankfurt Airport were a short-tempered lot. They not only expected you to know your parking location but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (PanAm 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground and a British Airways 747 (radio call Speedbird 206) after landing.
Speedbird 206: "Good morning Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of the active."

Ground: "Guten morgan, taxi to your gate."

The British Airways 747 pulls onto the main taxiway and stops.

Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"

Speedbird 206: "Stand by, ground, I'm looking up the gate location now."

Ground (with typical German impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you never flown to Frankfurt before?"

Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944. But I didn't stop".

No offence meant to anyone.
Better stop babbling and end this post before the Thought Police catch me.

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

So, what are you riding.

I currently ride a Harley Davidson. Once had a BSA. Loved that bike, especially after I ran into the side of a taxi and had it rebuilt. :)

Yamaha Virago 535 (modeled on the Harley but a lot smaller). Ideal for me as my right leg is missing (lost it when I was twelve so not a motor bike accident). Minor modifications so I can ride it, the rear brake is operated by my left thumb using a rear facing lever (the rear brake is cable operated drum).
Restricted to driving cars with automatic transmission.
I've also got a Honda VFR400R but it had an argument with some tarmac and was an economical write-off (the insurance company paid me out and gave me the bike).

Think this is the first post for me in this thread with no funnies! (Back to normal in the next).

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

...I've also got a Honda VFR400R but it had an argument with some tarmac and was an economical write-off (the insurance company paid me out and gave me the bike).

Think this is the first post for me in this thread with no funnies! (Back to normal in the next).

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

And hence, the name "tarmacburner"? :eek:

Actually had the username before smoothing out the tarmac with my ribs. Didn't break any but bruised a few, hurt for about four weeks, had to sleep in a chair for two weeks 'cos' I couldn't lie down. Luckily I wasn't going fast as I knew the bend I was approaching was a sharp 90? one (like a street corner). The tarmac surface was like glass (even though it wasn't wet) and the front wheel just went away.
Username comes from the fact that I drive rather quickly (not in restricted urban areas) on the open road, if you've got the tools them use them:).
How did you come to hit a taxi? Over here we tend to just hail one or phone for one, throwing a BSA at one seems a bit drastic!:D
Cheers,

tarmacburner2

I was in the service, stationed in Taiwan. I was riding back to base, after having some minor work done on the bike. Over there, if the vehicle in front of you wasn't going fast enough, you passed, even if something was coming at you. You just went between them. No big deal, everyone did it, so everyone was used to it.

Well, there was a truck in front of me, turn signals on, going to turn right. A car was coming at us, then nothing, so I decided to wait and pass when it went by. Bad mistake. What I didn't see was the cab off the side of the road, wanting to u-turn and head back to town. He didn't see me. As soon as the car went by, he pulled out. Of course, I'd just dropped a couple gears and let into the throttle when suddenly, this little blue car is in front of me.

I've never see such big eyes. :eek: I tried to miss him, but obviously didn't. Saw blue hood (bonnet, I think you call it), black asphalt, then blue sky as I started to flip. Landed on my left shoulder and back. Broke a collar bone, had some severe pains in the portion of the anatomy that put a big dent in the gas tank. A few scrapes, bruises and burns. But, I survived. Eight weeks later, the BSA was rebuilt, I was back in shape, and went back riding. Cautious at first, until I remembered that's what got me in trouble in the first place.

The funny thing was, the next morning, in the hospital, the cab driver came to visit me with flowers, a basket of oranges, and $10 US (which was a fair chunk of change for him). The casualty officer said in his two years there, he'd never seen a local visit a GI he'd been involved in an accident with. He really looked concerned. He didn't speak English, so his apology was translated, but in all honesty, legally, it might have been his fault (though no one got charged) but in reality, it was just one of those things. The good thing is, I lived.

Riding ' defensively' is the best way to stay relatively safe. Even when I drive round the bend where I came off the bike I'm still cautious about it.
Bike hasn't been used since September. The weather has been crap to put it mildly. We don't have the same sort of climate that you can enjoy over where you are.
I keep the battery on a trickle charger and every now and then I'll fire it up just to keep things lubricated.
Have you got the TomTom so it can be mounted on the bike? I use a RAM system which holds the SatNav rock steady. It is positioned just left and below my line of sight. Great for sussing out the road ahead, bends, junctions, crossroads (Intersections in Amer-speak). Fortunately, TomTom has never got it wrong.
Working on mounting asecond PDA so I can use a digital speedo, much easier reading numbers that are 1.25" high than looking down at the dial.

Cheers,

tarmacburner2

Ask a Question