start-up and goodbye custom screen images

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Start Australia & TomTom GO730
Hi, I have had the TTGO730 for awhile but gave that to my mum and switched to a smaller cuter TT Start Australia for my new little car.
I had the custom start and goodbye screens working perfectly, then tonight I went and messed it all up and cant get it working again.
After reading through old threads I recall that I clicked on something that asked me if I wanted to transfer all content that was previously on my computer for TT?. Is this where I went wrong? have I made the program think I have the old TT and its swapped the settings etc over. I thought of this and uninstalled and reinstalled Home but this did not fix my problem.
I am currently stuck with boring standard pics and when I try download and get the new pics they do not show up.

I hope I have not confused you totally...I just want to put custom pics back on TT start and it wont do it, yet previously I was able to do it...

any and all suggestions gratefully accepted...

Restoring files from a different model will not work on a new Start unit.

If your Start model has the smaller 3.5" screen, then your custom images won't work that you used with the wider 4.3" 730 model.

If your model is the smaller screen, I'd do this.......

Go to this online site:
Splash screen generator for TomTom

and upload your custom startup image. Select TomTom One as it had the smaller screen. And save the resulting file as splash.bmp in the root directory of the unit.

Then do the same with your shutdown image and name it antitheft.bmp, also in the root directory.

Thanks for your speedy reply dhn...I am not familiar with the root directory, how would I locate this?

I had already been happily using the 2 images on my "start" as well as a few others that I had sourced from the "home" program. trouble started after I decided to play around and download some more stuff off the home program. Are you saying that I changed the size of the images when I clicked the button to transfer all previous TT info so this is why they no longer work?

Is there a way to reverse this or clear out old (730) TT info? could I download the home program onto a different TT free computer and start again?

The root of the unit when you look at with Explorer (or Finder if on a Mac) is the location where you see lots of folders and a bunch of loose files.

All those folders are in the root of the unit. So are the loose files, not in any folder.

If your model is 4.3" then you need the files with a w in the name such as splashw.bmp andf antitheftw.bmp. But those files also need to be the proper size. The link I gave you will size them properly.

If the screens IS 4.3", then the same images used for the 730 will work on this one.

ok...thankyou...I have found these files and actually found one for the "Go" and one for the Start" in the same area and deleted the "Go" one and it appears to have solved my dilemma...I now have my custom screens back.

I dont think I have quite fixed my "start" perfectly because the home program seems to be working somewhat differntly to before but my computer-nerd son should be able to sort me out from here I hope or maybe even a fresh install could solve any remaining bugs.

thankyou again

Ask a Question