Start 25 Europe - New mount?

TomTom Model(s)
Start 25 Europe
We are SatNav virgins so a little guidance would be most appreciated.

We have a Volvo V50 and putting the SatNav on our windscreen means it is a long way away from the driver, so we would like to find an attachment to fix it to an air vent.

However, we don't seem to be able to find such a device for our model. Even the multi model device is not recommended for the Start 25.

The dashboard slopes and has a dimpled finish and nothing will stick so no joy there either.

Can anyone help, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TTF!

Two of our supermods (Andy_P and Mikealder) are based in the UK and have a pretty good handle on appropriate mounts for devices and locations where to get them.

Look for one or both to check into this thread within 24 hours with some information.

I'll draw this post to their attention.

Cheers, dhn,

Thanks for that.

We live in France but shopping online via the UK is not usually a problem.

We'll keep an eye on the forum.

Mike

Hi...

the main companies for 3rd Party mounts are:

Brodit: Brodit Proclip | UK | DSLDevelopments (DSL are UK distributors)

Buybits: Mobile Phone Accessories | Netbook Accessories | Free UK Delivery :: [ BuyBits ] (Lots of different stuff)

Arkon: http://www.arkon.com/tomtom_gps_alternative_mount.php

Carcomm: http://www.carcomm.nl/

The main types are:
1. Windscreen mounts with long "arms" - never tried these, but they LOOK like they may be wobbly,

2. Clips/plates that fit into available cracks in the dashboard (usually the surround to an air-vent (the Brodit type are well liked).

3. Clips that fit ON the air-vent itself - I didn't have a lot of luck with the one I tried, but it WAS a cheap one.

4. There are also several weighted "beanbags" which sit on the dash and are apparently a LOT more stable than you might expect (i.e. they don't fly off as you go round corners). They will have a flat disk in the middle that your existing mount will stick to.

5. Simple dashboard disks which you glue to the dash that your existing suction mount will stick onto.

Hope that gives you somewhere to start looking... Mike has got a Brodit in his Volvo, which I'm sure he'll show you some pics of!

Last edited:
Thank you for the list Andy.

While there are holders for Start and Start2 models - I believe they have 3.5" or 4.5" screens - there are none that I can see for the Start 20 or 25 which has a 5" screen.

Presumably it is a new model so we'll have to wait for a suitable holder to be produced.

I'm not sure if the bean bags would work as the dashboard slopes toward the driver and doesn't have a flat shelf.

I have yet to try some places in the car - for instance, would the side window be OK?

Funny, 'cos this not a problem I had foreseen.

Anyway, thanks again for your quick reply.

Mike.

Hang on... I've just remembered...The version of the Start 25 that got released has the "integrated" easyport mount with the ball fixed directly to the device itself doesn't it?

In that case, your options may be rather limited unless you are prepared to modify it to remove the built-in mount completely,

Yes, Andy, exactly right.

I've been playing - that's my wife's description - with, dare I say various positions. The main problem is that solutions such as the bean bag are possible but not certain unless one actually buys one to try out.

One idea was to stick it to the shiny plastic woodwork on the dash which was fine until I selected first gear :)

C'est la vie,as our neighbours might say but hopefully at least the equipment will mean we don't get lost so often when our maps are out of date or the signs and road numbers have been changed - maybe.

Thanks for your trouble,

Mike

I'm still hoping Mike A. will jump in here.... He has done more than I with customising mounts and I know he has adapted various Brodit mounts to fit a TomTom "ball".

Give him a day or two, otherwise I'll try to sort out some old posts and pictures of his.

From the pictures I've seen (we don't have the model here), the Start 25 looks like a VIA 125 or GO 825 from the back.

Accessories designed for those models will probably fit too.

Coincidently, PGPSW have just posted their review of the Start 20 (same as the 25 but a 4.3" screen), and in that article Mike mentions that the fixed mount *is* removable and says that a couple of other mount options are available from TT direct.

Entry Level SatNav TomTom Start 20 Reviewed

The windscreen mount is integral to the device, and is removable with a bit of effort. To remove the current one requires a good tug and a belief that you will not break anything. This is good for a number of reasons: the mount is unlikely to get lost; you can change to one of the alternate accessory mounts available from TomTom or third party providers. Essentially the mount point is a socket which fits a rubberised ball mount adapter.

As mentioned above the mount can be pulled off the device and an alternate mounting accessory can be fitted. TomTom sell a dash mount and an air vent mount, but you can also buy a third party mounting systems.

Sorry for delay in seeing this, most of the TomTom units I have tried over the years have been attached to the Brodit Pro-Clip system by a small modification to the mount supplied with the device. In the case of the Start25 can the windscreen sucker be removed from the back of the TomTom, there are some pictures on the TomTom web site listed under accessories that suggest it can be seperated.

This is what I did to one of the Easy Port mounts a while ago, it might give you a few ideas, the Brodit Pro-Clip attaches above and below the air vent rather than directly to it, this provides for a very stable mounting solution, no screws are needed to install the kit:

First off you will need a Pro-Clip to suit your vehicle, there are loads to choose from, and the Brodit TomTom Ball which, in this case was salvaged from an x40 Brodit Mount, but a Brodit/ TomTom style ball is now available under the part number of 533091 directly from Brodit/ ProClip, here the Brodit "Ball" is attached to the Pro-Clip sat next to the standard Easy Port windscreen mount:

Look above the hinge line and you will see two small rubber plugs, these need to be removed (they simply flick out using your finger nails) to reveal two Philips head screws:

Remove the two screws and the mount comes apart very easily:

Place the old windscreen sucker part to one side and re-assemble the ring portion of the Easy-Port mount to the Brodit Ball by trapping the ball between the easy port ring and top cap, secure in to position using the two screws, these only need to be nipped up do not over tighten:

The Pro-Clip plus the Easy-Port secured in to my car (Ovlov V70), the Brodit Pro-Clip simply clips over the airvent securing to the structure either side of the vent to provide a solid mount for the navigation device, no holes are needed and if removed no traces of it being fitted are left in the car:

Finally, what does it look like with the device attached, if you want the device higher up rotate the entire mounting ring through 180 degrees and the device sits 75MM (3") higher (shown in the low position):

I route the power cables through the airvent which is fiddly to do but well worth the effort if you don't want cables all over the inside of the car - Mike

Mike, your post is brilliant and thank you for taking so much trouble.

I will investigate removing the ball joint although I'm afraid it might break. Once done I can see that it will guide me to judge how other options may fit. Your dash looks slightly different to my V50.

If I'm successful I'll post how I get on as it may help others.

Andy P, Thanks for the link to the review. I particularly agree with the opinion of the MyTomTom website. My other post describes how my device was attached to the website for hours without actually doing anything except charge the battery! I still get a box in my system tray telling me that there are things to update but when I go on MyTomTom it tells me my device is up to date.

By the way, you mentioned in your post that the screen for the Start 20 is 4.3", so is the Start 25 but this is measuring the width and not the diagonal as marketing people tend to do with TV screens etc. Actually a far more honest figure IMHO.

I live in France so we find the electronic voice trying to deal with French road names is hysterical. As the device is for Europe it should be OK but the sounds are unrecognisable much to everyones amusement. Ah, just a thought, perhaps I should change the language the device uses - - - - - please ignore previous remarks :)

Just one question - how do I find what version/date map I have?

Mike

Last edited:
To find out what options are available from Broit to fit the Volvo V50 click Here and scroll down a bit to where it shows the dash pictures and where the various clips go in the car.

In my V70 I have three Brodit clips:

1/ iPhone powered holder low down to the left of the stereo

2/ Garmin 3790T center top air vent (This picture shows the Go-940 Live in the same place now occupied by the Garmin).

3/ TomTom Go-1000 right air vent (This picture shows an XL IQ Live fitted where the Go-1000 is now located).

All three are really solid with no issue of the device falling off and it puts the units in a nice and easy to reach position. If/ when you change the nav unit/ mobile phone you simply change the holder that is specific to the device, the Pro-Clip can remain in the vehicle as they are generic - Mike

By the way, you mentioned in your post that the screen for the Start 20 is 4.3", so is the Start 25 but this is measuring the width and not the diagonal as marketing people tend to do with TV screens etc. Actually a far more honest figure IMHO.

No... Tomtom are just as "dishonest"! They use the diagonal measurement too

Start 20 Europe Technical specs "Screen size 4.3" (11 cm)"

Start 25 Europe Technical specs "Screen size 5.0" (13 cm)"

:eek:hwell:

Mount options

Mike, your post is brilliant and thank you for taking so much trouble.

I will investigate removing the ball joint although I'm afraid it might break. Once done I can see that it will guide me to judge how other options may fit. Your dash looks slightly different to my V50.
I do not have the same model TomTom, but I think that I have the same integrated ball & socket mount. If so, there is a small trick that makes it very easy to remove the ball without damage and replace it with a ball from a third-party company's mount.

If you look closely at the ball on the GPS and move it around so you can see different parts of the surface of the ball, you will find that there is a shallow groove on the ball - perhaps 1 cm in length. Rotate the ball until that groove is in line with one side of the socket, and the edge of the socket is inside the groove.

Now push down on the shaft of the mount that ends in the ball, pushing toward the side of the GPS on which the groove is located. This lets you use the groove as a pivot point to lever the ball out of the socket. Because one edge of the socket is down in the groove of the ball, the distance across the ball from that edge to the other side of the ball is less, and the ball comes out of the socket easily. You can install the ball from the new mount into the socket on the GPS by reversing this procedure.

I did this to allow the use of a mount from Arkon that fits into the cup holder of my car and places the GPS where I want it. Arkon (and other companies) also make other designs that clip onto the air vents, or mount in other ways.

BTW, you may find that some dealers do not show a mount from Arkon that has a ball which fits into the socket on the back of your GPS. When I telephoned Arkon last month, they told me that they had just completed manufacturing the first units the previous week, and did not list that model yet even on their own web site.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Why was I worried? That turned out to be a cinch.

Now I can look at so many more options for the holder.

Many thanks everyone for your advice.

Mike :D

OK, its confession time. While waiting to see if Mike came up with a suggestion for my Volvo I jumped the gun and ordered the TomTom airvent universal holder. It arrived yesterday morning and by lunchtime I was trying to arrange its return.

In my attempts to make it sit securely on the vent I pulled off the small fitting that controls the sideways movement of the vent and eventually the whole vent came out of its socket. In fact they are both designed to dismount thank goodness so while I had them loose as it were I was able to try every conceivable arrangement to make the gps holder secure.

A complete waste of time as it is impossible for the grips to hold the gps still or for that matter at an angle so you can see the screen.

I will wait until I get the return sorted out and then belatedly follow Mike's advice and buy the brodit Pro Clip etc and do the job properly - as my Dad would have said. :rolleyes:

Mike

Ask a Question