Start 60 M Europe and TMC

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Start 60 M Europe
"Ciao a tutti" from Italy!!!
I hope you'll be sympathetic with my bad English :)

As I told, I'm from Italy and I'm not new to TomTom; recently (received yesterday), I bought a new Start 60 M Europe (link)... Now I noticed the car charger with TMC information (link, again) and I found it really interesting and useful; it can be found even cheaper on eBay.

Now my question: is the TMC Traffic Receiver shown compatible with my TomTom Start 60 M Europe (the service coverage is pretty good in Italy, as shown here)

It would be great to be informed by my TomTom navigor of heavy traffic jams :)

Thanks in advance

It certainly does say it is compatible with the Start 60 but I'm concerned about the connector on the link you showed in your post. That connector works with the North American 2535 models. BUT, I understood the Start 60 in europe is equal to our 1605 models here and that connector does NOT work in our 1605. Ours would require a mico usb connector.

So, call Italian Customer Service at:

lunedì-venerdì: ore 10:00 - 17:00

and confirm the rds-tmc car carger/antenna DOES fit the Start 60 device.

It certainly does say it is compatible with the Start 60 but I'm concerned about the connector on the link you showed in your post. That connector works with the North American 2535 models. BUT, I understood the Start 60 in europe is equal to our 1605 models here and that connector does NOT work in our 1605. Ours would require a mico usb connector.

Thanks!!!
Just a newbie question: aren't all "micro usb" connectors the same?

I found an interesting one on eBay, here...

So, call Italian Customer Service at:

lunedì-venerdì: ore 10:00 - 17:00

and confirm the rds-tmc car carger/antenna DOES fit the Start 60 device.

I'll call'em tomorrow: Italian TomTom customer care is really good and kind.

Does anyone here has experienced to use these TMC receiver? Do they work properly?

Thanks, again :)

It certainly does say it is compatible with the Start 60 but I'm concerned about the connector on the link you showed in your post.

@dhn... you're not being waylaid by this picture at the top?

antennas-receivers-place-holder_tcm147-17860.jpg

That does look rather like a Go1000/2000 series connector, but I think that's just a generic header with ancient kit (is that really a Go720???) and doesn't show the cable that's used on the accessory below.

the second picture accessed by the little arrow seems to be right.

Just a newbie question: aren't all "micro usb" connectors the same?

The worry is that the list of compatible models on the TT website includes both the Go720 and the Start 60 and they DEFINITELY have different connectors (The Go720 is mini-USB and the Start 60 is Micro-USB)

Maybe they now sell the RDS-TMC antenna with a mini to micro USB adapter? More likely the TT website is just wrong (again).

The eBay one you found looks like it has the right micro-USB connector for the Start 60.

Maybe they now sell the RDS-TMC antenna with a mini to micro USB adapter?

I guess so: In fact it's written:

"Contenuto confezione:
Ricevitore Traffico
Manuale dell'utente
Micro USB adapter"

In English:

"Content of the package:
Traffic receiver
User Manual
Micro USB adapter"

The eBay one you found looks like it has the right micro-USB connector for the Start 60.

Just a final question: does anyone uses the TMC receiver? Is it actually useful as it seems?

Thanks, once again

The traffic info from such a device is only on main highways, not also side roads like LIVE traffic includes.

That said, in a visit to Italy a few years ago, I did have a tomtom device with a rds-tmc antenna and it did give some traffic info where we travelled.

Better than no info, I figure and the traffic info is for life. You don't need a subscription.

Ask a Question