Start 25 Europe - New mount?

Was it one of the ones that grip the "blades" on the vent itself?

I bought one of those once (not from TomTom) and it was absolute rubbish.

Why was I worried? That turned out to be a cinch.

Now I can look at so many more options for the holder.

Mike, Now you have worked out how to take the ball out of the back of the device you can measure the diameter, let me know what this is and I can tell you whether or not the Brodit "Ball" will fit - Mike

Andy, yes, and of course it doesn't grip which is part of the problem.

Mike, the ball is 15mm diameter. I found the fittings on the website you gave me the link to with Part numbers for the ProClip 853360 (my car is left hand drive) and 533091 for the ball fitting - you mentioned this in your post.

How does the ball fitting fit on the ProClip? It looks as if there are four screw holes in the photo I saw but perhaps I was mistaken. Not a problem, I can do a bit of light engineering :)

My original post was intended to save money by doing some research but I should not have been so quick off the mark. :(

Mike

With the two parts seperated its time to measure the diameter of the ball which For most TomTom mounts checks in at 15,90MM slightly less than the Garmin standard ball which is 17,12MM (Both are shown in this picture for comparison).

If you are saying the ball that came out of your device is exactly 15MM then the TomTom Ball made by Brodit will need to be reduced in diameter with sandpaper which takes quite a while (I did this a while ago with a Garmin ball that I reduced to TomTom size, took bloody hours) - Mike

As for fitting the "Ball" to the Pro-Clip it is supplied with four self tapping screws, best to attach these BEFORE you put the Pro-Clip in the car as they take quite a bit of force to start with, if you slip with the screwdriver in the caar it will make a mess of the dash.

Alternate is to use the Brodit Mini-Move It clips which stick to both parts using a very strong double sided tape, the Mini-Move It clips give you a quick release for the mount leaving nothing on show other than the Pro-Clip, to be honest this would be a better solution for your hardware otherwise the ball might wear out through repeated insertion/ removals - Mike

Mike

I have a vernier calliper measure so I suspect my measurement may well be 0.9mm out.

I'm wondering whether I might buy the ProClip for my Volvo and then use the TomTom vent fitting I already have as the attachment on the ProClip. If I take the 'legs' and 'foot' off the so-called vent attachment I will be able to attach it with screws to the ProClip. I will then use the ball and clip supplied with the vent fitting which will mean I can detach or attach the device at will.

I hadn't thought of that solution until you described how the ProClip works so I'll order the ProClip and then work something out.

Once again many thanks to you and the other guys for some great advice. I'll post how I get on.

Mike

Hi peeps,

After all your kind help I promised to post the eventual solution.

I bought a ProClip for my Volvo - it eventually arrived this morning having waited some time 'cos the address on the packet was wrong, La Poste still found us!.

After a bit of very light engineering this afternoon it is now sitting securely on the dash. I used the base of the clip from the TomTom 'vent' attachment having drilled two holes for screws and bolted it to the ProClip. Excellent job.

We were out yesterday and it was hot here in SW France which caused the device to fall off the screen twice :(. Hopefully that won't happen anymore.

Many thanks for all your advice, Mike B.

Alternative mount for Start 25

Glad to see that there was a successful solution.

I've just bought a Tomtom "Beanbag" dash mount for my Start 25. It isn't exactly a beanbag, more like a heavy rather stiff cushion with a non-slip back. It also comes with a hook to stick to the dash and there's a loop on the "bag" for extra security.

I got it for our motorhome which has a document clip on the dash, so I've made up an alternative hook to clip into that.

Haven'y actually tested it yet, but I'll be trying it out next week.

jb9

Presumably it is a serious problem for the makers of these devices. There must be thousands of alternative fixing methods. However, once able to understand how the various bits fit together it seems possible to make a decent job with a little bit of ingenuity.

Just like so many internet forums, have you noticed how enthusiasts rush to help in these circumstances? I feel sorry for those folk who don't take advantage of all that expertise.

Now back to my mower and how the carburetor works - via a forum based in America full of tractor enthusiasts - who are coaching me through cleaning it without damaging it, hopefully. :)

To find out what options are available from Broit to fit the Volvo V50 click Here and scroll down a bit to where it shows the dash pictures and where the various clips go in the car.

In my V70 I have three Brodit clips:

1/ iPhone powered holder low down to the left of the stereo

2/ Garmin 3790T center top air vent (This picture shows the Go-940 Live in the same place now occupied by the Garmin).

3/ TomTom Go-1000 right air vent (This picture shows an XL IQ Live fitted where the Go-1000 is now located).

All three are really solid with no issue of the device falling off and it puts the units in a nice and easy to reach position. If/ when you change the nav unit/ mobile phone you simply change the holder that is specific to the device, the Pro-Clip can remain in the vehicle as they are generic - Mike
Would this device be Ok for a Tom Tom Go Discover. My Discover keeps falling from the dashboard despite new disc regularly cleaned.

Dave

Last edited:
ONLY this support https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation/accessories/mounts-docks/7-inches-active-magnetic-mount/ is compatible with GO Discover 7

If you have a 5" and 6" GO Discover, the GO 5200 and 6200 stand, Go Premium is compatible but the GO Discover 7 stand is not.
Thanks for the info but it is 7" and came with that mount but it is not up to supporting the 7" model. I feel very cheated by Tom Tom who sold me a device that is not fit for purpose.

Dave

"Cleaning" the disk improperly (and there are many improper ways to do it) will dramatically decrease its life. It should not require "regular" cleaning by ANY method.

Can you describe your cleaning method? And with what have you cleaned the windscreen? That's important, too.

I received one of the first 7" Discover units, and mine is still doing well.

"Cleaning" the disk improperly (and there are many improper ways to do it) will dramatically decrease its life. It should not require "regular" cleaning by ANY method.

Can you describe your cleaning method? And with what have you cleaned the windscreen? That's important, too.

I received one of the first 7" Discover units, and mine is still doing well.
I am not mounting on the windscreen but on the dashboard using one of the adhesive Dashboard discs. It is the suction breaking that causes the Discover to fall off. I have been cleaning the disk with optical cleaning fluid and a Hoya cloth for cleaning glasses.

Dave

You might find that just a bit of water left on the disk when installing helps to preserve the seal longer.

Ask a Question