Simple...130 ONE issues Mac

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 130
K...I'm moderately adept at arriving at simple "reboot" or downloading software. Having said that I searched the forums and could find nothing that addresses my problem...worse yet, by the sounds of things, TOMTOM isn't much help either!
So, allow me to thank anyone in advance for helping me "walk" through this simple problem.

I initialized my 130 without issue, fact is, I was using it within 10-15 min (after charging). Then, I thought i should get online and register the product and update any maps etc...thats where the issues started. I linked the 130 to my G4 and going thru the menu i downloaded a couple different "voices" and other stuff...Then, I came across the HOME portion of downloads...
Logging in, I downloaded several things to manage my 130 and placed them in my applications folder. I inadvertently "ejected" the HD-looking 130 folder and almost immediately received an error message saying "this device may have been damaged..." (if you know macs you know this usually isn't a big deal...i do it with my camera all the time). Then, an image of the 130 with a cord attached shows on the screen...and NOTHING else. I performed a soft reboot...same thing...and another, same thing.
Repeated uninstalls of the HOME software was performed as well as reloading it yet again...always with the same results...the image of the 130 and it's cord on the screen!

I have three choices, help from this forum...help from TOMTOM or just take the freekin thing back as "defective" and start all over again.

What do you think?
Thanks Again!

I moved the post to the ONE/XL forum.

To resolve this issue:
1) Go do a backup per here.
2) Then format the Tomtom per here.
3) Then copy the map folder from the backup back onto the Tomtom (folder name is USA_and_Canada)
4) Then wait for the red X to disappear from the device and disconnect it.
5) Then turn on the Tomtom and wait for the "missing SD" picture to show up
6) Then reconnect to HOME and do "update my ONE" and accept everything it offers

This should get everything working again.

Solution doesn't work.

Backing up the device like that doesn't work because it disconnects from the computer while the computer is trying to copy all the information. Is there another solution? The MAIN PROBLEM here is that the device IS LOCKING UP while connected to the computer, therefore the Mac thinks the device has been disconnected because it is no longer sending or receiving information to it or from it.

Can I just reformat the device and get this map file elsewhere? Is there a way to completely reset the device? This was a gift to me last Xmas and I bet the folks who bought it for me no longer have the receipt, as I am tempted to just send it in to TomTom to get a replacement or a refund.

I have a TomTom One N14644 Canada 310...Not sure which of that is important and what isn't so there's all the infomation.

Last edited:
Is your map the one that came with the unit originally or is it an upgrade? If an upgrade, it already resides on your computer. If the original, do you have a backup of your unit prior to its locking up?

If the answer is that is in the original and you do NOT have a backup, then I'm sorry but you can only get maps for the unit using Home.

If it IS an upgrade, and you can connect the unit long enough to format it with Finder, then you can connect to Home to redownload the application. Once done, you can restore the map.

The path on a pc is here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps

It may vary on a Mac.

Then you can restore the map using Finder and not needing Home. The instructions are here

I did set up my TomTom on this computer, but for some reason there are no files on my computer for the device, only the TomTom Home program.

So, now what?

Call phone support and they can try walking you through these and other steps realtime. If nothing helps they'll arrange to warranty swap.

The warranty is 1 year for new models, 6 months for refurbished ones.

hawgklr/ krazyxkitxkat-
I have been having the same exact issues that you are having with your device.
I recently got a 130 as a gift. I probably did the same thing you did... turned it on as soon as taking it out of the box then connected it to the computer (Mac) to get it registered and updated. Did a few downloads via HOME (update, security cameras, car cursor). I did eject like you are supposed to and got the frozen image that you are seeing (130 with a cord attached on the screen). I called customer service/support and they guided me through a soft reboot without any success. Then they guided me through a complete reformat (which took almost 1 hour) unsuccessfully. This time the device was restarting itself continuously and I could not turn it off. The battery eventually drained itself. When I called customer support again they told me that the only thing left was to return my device and that they would try to fix it or send me another one. Since I had just gotten it the day before and had the receipt they replaced it with a brand new one. I got it in the mail last night. Turned it on, it works. Connected the thing to the computer, this time I only checked for any upgrades, no downloads. The same thing happened again!!
I am beginning to believe that my computer is missing something or doing something that is not allowing me to use HOME the way it is intended to be used.
I am VERY frustrated.

Can you try this:

Use Finder to look at the contents of the unit. In the map folder, you'll see a file called mapsettings.cfg. Delete it. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer. Restart the unit. does that help?

If not, use Finder to make a complete backup of the unit's contents. Then use a Dos Format to format the internal storage of the unit. Finally, use Finder to copy back the contents. Any better?

the main problem that no one understands is that i cannot connect my unit to my computer. after about a minute or so the computer tells me the device has been disconnected even though it hasnt. only thing i can think of is to not use my mac and to try hooking it up to a PC.

therefore i cannot see any files on my device from my computer because the computer thinks the unit is not connected to the computer.

Last edited:
Hold the power button down forever until a black debug screen shows up. What does it say to the right of bootloader version? That may give a clue as to the problem.

After this screen hold the power button again until the Tomtom restarts and let go of the power button. This causes a hardware reboot of the Tomtom and may help your computer connection.

Spotlight Disabled?

Maybe this will help... I read somewhere on the TomTom website that Spotlight indexing needs to be disabled for the unit to work properly. The problems described here sounds like it may be a Finder issue, associated with an indexing problem, but I'm only guessing. At any rate, make sure the unit is set to "Privacy".

Ask a Question