Serious Problem with My XL-S after runn'g the update 4/13/08

Today's date is 4/13/08. I'm having a serious problem with my TomTom XL-S device. When I connected my device with the TomTom HOME 2 software, the software started to update my TomTom. I received an error that the update was not successful. This error reported was that it could not write to the I:/ittsystem. The "I" drive is the location of the TomTom unit. I tried to work around this problem by creating a folder "ittsystem" since that folder did not exist previously. In the process of trying to create this folder, I inadvertantly created two new folders called "New Folder (2)" and "New folder (3)." I then tried to run the update from the TomTom HOME 2 software and again I ran into errors. Well I've then tried to delete the three folders I created but I'm having an error from Windows XP which said the folder is not the syntax. Well I disconnected my TomTom XL-S from the computer. Now the TomTom device locks on me. It won't run the GPS to show where I am and in a few minutes, the TomTom will reboot. It seems the drive on the TomTom is corrupted and I wonder if I can reformat it using Windows XP as a FAT32 and then copy all of the files from my backup which I made awhile back ago using the TomTome HOME2 software? Please help me as I only had this unit only for a few months.

P.S. I?ve tried to run the restore feature using the TomTom HOME2 software with no luck.
CJ (Hawaii):eek:

It seems the drive on the TomTom is corrupted and I wonder if I can reformat it using Windows XP as a FAT32 and then copy all of the files from my backup which I made awhile back ago using the TomTome HOME2 software?

The answer is yes.

Before reformatting it, I would try plugging the device back into the PC and then trying to copy the contents of your backup onto the root of your device. Your backup should be in one of the two following folders (later versions of HOME started creating a /ONE/ folder versus a /GO/ folder, so it depends on how long ago your last backup was....if you have both, your /ONE/ folder is the latest and greatest):
C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\GO\Backup01\
or
C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\ONE\Backup01\

Of course, if this doesn't work, you'll need to format the TomTom with FAT16 or FAT32 and then copy the backup information.

Ask a Question