XXL Classic IQ serious problem Please HELP

TomTom Model(s)
XXL Classic IQ Routes
HI I have XXL Classic

Which I purchase 24/10/13 From Argos. I set up my TomTom with user details and a PIN Number. However when i turned it on today and entered the PIN which i know is correct nothing happened I did this several time and still know joy.

I therefore did a Google search and found that it is a common problem. One of the solutions to solve the problem was to erase the internal drive and then click update my device which I did.

(I did a back up of my device using Tomtom home proir to wiping)

I then opened TomTom Home and Clicked restore my device however I now get a message saying "you can not use this feature as it is not supported by your device. When I run my TomTom I get the RED X of death and each time I connect my TomTom I get a message to update.

I have checked my Homr folder in Documents/TomTom/Backup and there are files there but I cannot restore my previous bac up

I seems I have lost my Maps and all other files

How do i restore this please help

The backup made by Home may be in the form of a zip file containing all the folders and files from the device. If so, extract the contents to a temporary folder on your desktop using WinRar (a file extractor which maintains the file structure. Google for it) Then copy the contents from the desktop to the drive depicted by the TomTom unit.

But first, when you say you 'updated' your device, do you mean an application? If so, restart the device when not connected to the computer. Then reconnect to Home and see if there are further application updates offered. If so, do so and again disconnect and restart the device. Then connect to Home and see if the restore works.

If not, try the method I suggested.

The backup made by Home may be in the form of a zip file containing all the folders and files from the device. If so, extract the contents to a temporary folder on your desktop using WinRar (a file extractor which maintains the file structure. Google for it) Then copy the contents from the desktop to the drive depicted by the TomTom unit.

But first, when you say you 'updated' your device, do you mean an application? If so, restart the device when not connected to the computer. Then reconnect to Home and see if there are further application updates offered. If so, do so and again disconnect and restart the device. Then connect to Home and see if the restore works.

If not, try the method I suggested.

Many Thanks for the reply

I have checked the files they are not zipped I was able to select them all and copy them to my TomTom, but still the same so I checked the folders on my computer the folders are all there, but they are empty. Having done further reading it appears I have done the wrong type of back up I should have done a manual back up where I copy everything from my tom-tom to a folder on my computer including hidden files It would appear that I have obliterated all the files. like a proper Muppet

My question therefore now is does this mean I have to buy new maps from TOMTOM to recovery my XXL

Was the map that you thought was backed up the original that came with the device or was it an upgraded map. If the latter, there is a chance we can get to it.

Was the map that you thought was backed up the original that came with the device or was it an upgraded map. If the latter, there is a chance we can get to it.

Hi Yes the map was the original that came with the device

If you connect to Home and go to the Latest Map Guarantee, does it offer anything?

You probably need to call CS for assistance:

United Kingdom
0845 161 0009
or 020 7387 5444

Monday-Friday:
9:00 am to 5:30 pm

Problem Resolved

However this had to be done via CS at TomTom
For some reason my device would not download the Navcore or the map and CS sent me the Navcore via email which I had to manually install, at first this seem to have solved the problem until i hit update my XXL and all i could get was voices I then made another call to CS and the chap there changed the Map on my system and gave me the new map and hey presto when i clicked update my XXL the Map showed. not sure what the trouble was but it would appear to be something wrong with the map assigned to my device

Many Thanks for all the replies

Ask a Question